AFLW Collingwood v Richmond Saturday March 12, 3.10 pm Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoroughly outclassed. Cordner, KB, the Hoskings and Lavey out, and we were just plain outclassed.

We fought it out. We cracked in all day. But never looked likely. Scoreboard would have been a helluva a lot uglier without Miller. Thought Darcy played well. Conti wins our B&F and possibly with enough votes left over to get runner up as well.

Sorta sums up the season, I reckon. Our best 16 are good enough to win more than 3 out of 10 games, but when do you get to put your best 16 on the park every week?

Our awareness seems really bad at times when we gather the ball - would love to hear from people at the game whether our girls are mutes - I know our men's side was many years ago. It's usually a symptom getting caught from not enough talk.

I've probably attended 6 or 7 games. The voice is fine. Can always been better, but it's not a major issue

Was at the game and paid particular attention to our forward structure. The fluency and connection between mids to forwards is putrid, especially without Brennan. Nobody leads to a spot.

This is the thing that reminds me of s**t Richmond teams from the past. Mark or free kick on the wing or HF flank - no movement. None. Everyone standing, either waiting to see where the kick goes, or Tyrone-style, waving for the 70 metre kick over the back.

KB does make this better. She does lead, double back, draw defenders and open space. Works bloody hard for her opportunities, but better still, opens things up for others.

Not so different through the midfield, around contests. Conti is dynamic, buzzing around, but there's a lot of static players, filling space, setting up for when the oppo break away. Almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Set up for the oppo to win the ball and they generally do.

I've probably attended 6 or 7 games. The voice is fine. Can always been better, but it's not a major issue
So why then? Tells me perhaps we don't train to the pace of the game then. I'm not talking receive ball / get tackled. This is receive ball in some space, 3, 4, sometimes 5 or 6 steps and run down........

So why then? Tells me perhaps we don't train to the pace of the game then. I'm not talking receive ball / get tackled. This is receive ball in some space, 3, 4, sometimes 5 or 6 steps and run down........

Not sure, mate.

The HTB might be a combination of things. Not many go out of their way to put on a shephard, J&SHoskings aside. SFA forward of the ball a lot of the time, so the ball carrier probably has to take a few more steps than they might want. Fair to say we don't have many with scorching pace or evasiveness in the side, either. MacKenzie gets caught a bit, maybe trying too much, but I don't mind it. She only has to break one or two tackles a game and it's worth wearing some HTB decisions. Could also be Collingwood were too good with their pressure around the ball this week. They are a physically bigger side. I don't remember HTB being an issue against Melbourne, or in any of our wins.

Agree with much of that - that's where Ferg has been good publicly - rarely, if ever, throws up excuses. We were coming from a mile back, but made huge ground this season - pretty unlucky with some injuries. So we are not a mile behind now - WC, Stkilda are. Really have to get another A-grade mid, and an ultra competitive mid sized forward who can get up and back. Get those and draft better and we can bridge that gap in 2-3 years perhaps.

Cannot afford to lose any of Brennan, Seymour, Conti, McKenzie, Miller and Yassir. Others are important too, but you would think if we lost any one of them, getting a replacement with any compensation might well be possible. Lose any of those six and I doubt we can replace them with any compensation in the short term.

As to the support staff, unfortunately the person who makes that call is the one that needs to go first in my humble opinion.
Yea the recruiting mgr for mine is in the gun, only been there 12m though so will likely give another chance

Not sure, mate.

The HTB might be a combination of things. Not many go out of their way to put on a shephard, J&SHoskings aside. SFA forward of the ball a lot of the time, so the ball carrier probably has to take a few more steps than they might want. Fair to say we don't have many with scorching pace or evasiveness in the side, either. MacKenzie gets caught a bit, maybe trying too much, but I don't mind it. She only has to break one or two tackles a game and it's worth wearing some HTB decisions. Could also be Collingwood were too good with their pressure around the ball this week. They are a physically bigger side. I don't remember HTB being an issue against Melbourne, or in any of our wins.
Ellie missing pre season set her back miles , we can’t underestimate where the std is now , not so easy to roll out of bed and just dominate , hacks have been left way behind and fitness queries will limit output too. Hopefully a decent spell will get her leg right

Thoroughly outclassed. Cordner, KB, the Hoskings and Lavey out, and we were just plain outclassed.

We fought it out. We cracked in all day. But never looked likely. Scoreboard would have been a helluva a lot uglier without Miller. Thought Darcy played well. Conti wins our B&F and possibly with enough votes left over to get runner up as well.

Sorta sums up the season, I reckon. Our best 16 are good enough to win more than 3 out of 10 games, but when do you get to put your best 16 on the park every week?
Yep pretty well said , we just can’t afford to lose any of our best 6-7 , miller is right in the mix there too. We ll be doing well to add a decent mature player , never know though

Not sure, mate.

yes to all of this

watched the replay and it was obvious that there was no blocking, no movement fwd of the ball, no awareness to the pressure of the game
Pies did bring the heat, but alot of our HTB was our fault, our players inability to understand the state of the game

Ferg used the words "we were outclassed", in the sense footy wise save for a few that can handle this pressure, most are unable or don't understand how too

Lynch's HTB, not sure what Q, but she looked like she was surprised that someone tackled her
now whether there is talking or not, she looked like she thought there was no one else on the field, she actually slowed down

this is something the Pies players were on the same page, positioning wise
2 on the inside fighting for the ball, 2 on the outside to receive ball (by quick handpass or hackiing it out by foot) & run away from pressure
this was the same for their established and their newbie players, they just knew where they needed to be

you can train all you like for this, but our players mostly panic = HTB or turnover by hand & foot
interesting to note but in most of our games we have 50% ineffective disposals, it's mainly the same players every game
50% goes straight to the oppo, most times under no pressure

yes to all of this

watched the replay and it was obvious that there was no blocking, no movement fwd of the ball, no awareness to the pressure of the game
Pies did bring the heat, but alot of our HTB was our fault, our players inability to understand the state of the game

Ferg used the words "we were outclassed", in the sense footy wise save for a few that can handle this pressure, most are unable or don't understand how too

Lynch's HTB, not sure what Q, but she looked like she was surprised that someone tackled her
now whether there is talking or not, she looked like she thought there was no one else on the field, she actually slowed down

this is something the Pies players were on the same page, positioning wise
2 on the inside fighting for the ball, 2 on the outside to receive ball (by quick handpass or hackiing it out by foot) & run away from pressure
this was the same for their established and their newbie players, they just knew where they needed to be

you can train all you like for this, but our players mostly panic = HTB or turnover by hand & foot
interesting to note but in most of our games we have 50% ineffective disposals, it's mainly the same players every game
50% goes straight to the oppo, most times under no pressure
Reckon our tenacity around the ball was nowhere near last weeks level with hosko out of the side

Tara Bohanna is one that i wonder what did GC see, that we missed?
perfect Wakefield replacement

To be fair Stan Tara is 27 and every club in every draft since the start of AFLW passed on Tara. She wasn't even picked up in last years draft.

GC took a punt on her as a replacement player with absolutely nothing to lose and Tara is making the most of it. Good luck to her. It's a great story but absolutely no reflection on the clubs that passed on her. Her challenge is to get better as she won't be taking oppo teams by surprise next season.

To be fair Stan Tara is 27 and every club in every draft since the start of AFLW passed on Tara. She wasn't even picked up in last years draft.

GC took a punt on her as a replacement player with absolutely nothing to lose and Tara is making the most of it. Good luck to her. It's a great story but absolutely no reflection on the clubs that passed on her. Her challenge is to get better as she won't be taking oppo teams by surprise next season.
We ll likely need to Punt on these types given the recruiting limitations that expansion sides will bring. Tbh I’d rather back a few of them than go with same old that would be most uninspiring,,,here’s hoping

We ll likely need to Punt on these types given the recruiting limitations that expansion sides will bring. Tbh I’d rather back a few of them than go with same old that would be most uninspiring,,,here’s hoping

yeah agree Bo, we have to cast our eye further from just trades & draft
we picked up Kiely B&F at the Kangas, had a strong VFLW season, our 1st signing from another VFLW club
Bohanna B&F at the Saints strong VFLW season, all clubs didn't look at her until GC had an injury

it'll be interesting to see how Peterson, B&F at Blues, goes in the VFLW this season
nice height 176cm, got speed, could be one to try in our fwd line come next season

yeah agree Bo, we have to cast our eye further from just trades & draft
we picked up Kiely B&F at the Kangas, had a strong VFLW season, our 1st signing from another VFLW club
Bohanna B&F at the Saints strong VFLW season, all clubs didn't look at her until GC had an injury

it'll be interesting to see how Peterson, B&F at Blues, goes in the VFLW this season
nice height 176cm, got speed, could be one to try in our fwd line come next season
Judging by her last game, Peterson might be starting to hit her stride. Her game was pretty good as one of those run past for a handball types. She certainly pins her ears back and goes flat out when given the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back