VFL Collingwood VFL Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Steene go Jen?
He did really well. Came up against Ceglar, and competed very strongly. Contest work is strong, he is also physical and will tackle. He and Begg rotated between forward and ruck.

Probably just part of his training load, he will play defence once the season starts

Played well on the wing. Got caught out for pace once chasing a Cats player into their F50 which resulted in a goal. Not sure if that’s indicative or just a lack of 100% effort in a practice match. The footy was rolling toward the forward pocket boundary and the Cats player just managed to keep it in, then got around Kelly to centre to footy to the goal square. Other than that, marked well and used the footy pretty well.

Played well on the wing. Got caught out for pace once chasing a Cats player into their F50 which resulted in a goal. Not sure if that’s indicative or just a lack of 100% effort in a practice match. The footy was rolling toward the forward pocket boundary and the Cats player just managed to keep it in, then got around Kelly to centre to footy to the goal square. Other than that, marked well and used the footy pretty well.
First game against oppo on the wing, I too felt he played well. It helps him get involved when he is around the footy, and can use his tank to run.

A tall marking wingman might fit Buckley's gameplan but not our current system. I'd be more inclined to think it's a fitness program thing too and should expect to see him back at KPD. Wouldn't make sense otherwise when our KPD depth is taking an injury hit.
I mean, that’s cool and all for you to have that view, but Kelly hasn’t been injured afaik and his fitness/endurance has never been in question. I don’t see them playing him on a wing if they intend to use him as a defender this year.

Goal kickers
Q1 Begg was the only goal kicker of the 3 I actually know
Q2 Wilson and Tomawhatshisface 1 each
Q3 Johnson x3
Q4 Purcell and Richard’s 1 each

Highlights
  • Richard’s rove and snap in the last from a f50 stopage
  • Carmicheal’s coathanger
  • Johnson’s marking against much taller defenders
  • Wilson’s ball use of either left or right foot.
  • Bianco’s workrate
  • Steene’s tackling his Cats opponent like a tackle bag. Smashed him. Like his aggression around the stoppages.
  • The team mindset to run and carry, use of forward handball was very exciting at times. Much like the seniors, they ran hard forward but worked really hard to get back.
  • Carmicheal’s ability to stand up in a tackle and get a disposal.
  • Frampton’s spoiling in the first half, wasn’t out marked once that I can recall.

As an observations
  • it was a pretty ordinary day to play footy.
  • AIA is a s**t ground to watch footy.
  • they were a much bigger side, dominated the clearances.

Awesome stuff Mollythedolly, thank you so much, greatly appreciated.

Goal kickers
Q1 Begg was the only goal kicker of the 3 I actually know
Q2 Wilson and Tomawhatshisface 1 each
Q3 Johnson x3
Q4 Purcell and Richard’s 1 each

Highlights
  • Richard’s rove and snap in the last from a f50 stopage
  • Carmicheal’s coathanger
  • Johnson’s marking against much taller defenders
  • Wilson’s ball use of either left or right foot.
  • Bianco’s workrate
  • Steene’s tackling his Cats opponent like a tackle bag. Smashed him. Like his aggression around the stoppages.
  • The team mindset to run and carry, use of forward handball was very exciting at times. Much like the seniors, they ran hard forward but worked really hard to get back.
  • Carmicheal’s ability to stand up in a tackle and get a disposal.
  • Frampton’s spoiling in the first half, wasn’t out marked once that I can recall.

As an observations
  • it was a pretty ordinary day to play footy.
  • AIA is a s**t ground to watch footy.
  • they were a much bigger side, dominated the clearances.
Cheers, MTD!

If Kelly is playing on the wing who’s going to be our back kpd when Frampton comes into the side?
Guys like Ruscoe, Wilson and Ryan can all play tall-ish in defense, plus on the the VFL list we have Josh Eyre (Essendon) and Ben Silvagni (Carlton), who are both former AFL-listed key defenders over 195cm, so there's some backup there. I think there's potentially room to use Begg occasionally in that role too, for another string to his bow.

Ginni was sitting near me with his mate, watching the game.
In the huddles I saw a few players like Dean, DC, Cox, Harrison, Kreuger,
Lots of players came in and out as they went in for some recovery.
Fly was there, taking great notice. And was up in the coaches window upstairs.

Guys like Ruscoe, Wilson and Ryan can all play tall-ish in defense, plus on the the VFL list we have Josh Eyre (Essendon) and Ben Silvagni (Carlton), who are both former AFL-listed key defenders over 195cm, so there's some backup there. I think there's potentially room to use Begg occasionally in that role too, for another string to his bow.
Hopefully Ruscoe can find another string to his bow but the the other two names don’t fill me with much confidence if any of Moore, Frampton or Murphy go down.

On a wing… and a prayer 🙏

They’re running out of positions for Kelly to try.

Common for out of contract, bottom tier players to be thrown about in an attempt to find a reason to retain them at years end
I think it’s says a lot about how they rate his kpd chances now that Dean and Howe have gone down with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, and politicians are a bit more qualified to make their decisions so don't dare question them either.
Coaches are coaches. Doing what's deemed best.
Politicians are puppets that others make decisions for.

I mean, that’s cool and all for you to have that view, but Kelly hasn’t been injured afaik and his fitness/endurance has never been in question. I don’t see them playing him on a wing if they intend to use him as a defender this year.

If they were thinking of moving him back into defence then yesterday would have been the perfect opportunity. Ruscoe was our tallest defender after Frampton took to the pine and Tomawhatshisface face returned to F50 in the last quarter. An extra tall and physical size wouldn’t have gone astray. They persisted with him on the wing.

Kelly will never play wing in the seniors.
Let’s be honest, he’ll likely never play in the seniors again. This is a last throw of the dice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back