Collingwood .... Victims or Beneficiaries of the fixture?

Remove this Banner Ad

serfty

Draftee
Sep 4, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You will know possibly next week and certainly by August.

This season, aside from the one game where they defeated Melbourne the Pies haven't beaten a side with a winning record.

They are yet to play Eagles, Power, Kangas or Swans.

They have been beaten by the Hawks, Tigers, Cats & Giants.

You can only defeat the sides you play; Collingwood have played and defeated each of the current bottom nine teams; two of them twice.

So, finals? Yes. How far?

The losses are more revealing than their wins. Lot of noise without substance from Pies and their media darlings! Here's to you Wheatley,Jay Clarke , Matthew Lloyd and Robbo! Funny how usual suspects complained about Tiges draw last year......this year silence!

This season, aside from the one game where they defeated Melbourne the Pies haven't beaten a side with a winning record.

You can only defeat the sides you play; Collingwood have played and defeated each of the current bottom nine teams; two of them twice.

Talking about the draw without putting other things into perspective. We have one of the biggest injury lists in the league and yet sit second on the ladder. At full strength Collingwood is the best team in it IMO.

They look like playing finals, how far? Who knows, a lot depends on what kind of shape they are in by the times finals come around. Some times form drops off, sometimes too many injuries hits, too many unknowns to predict in July.

Beat Adelaide in Adelaide when their list was in much better shape, Adelaide also pumped Tigers over there.

Destroyed the Demons who were considered a genuine flag contender at the time.

And beat a hot Essendon who have just beaten Geelong, GWS, North and WC.

Yes the next month is the barometer for our finals aspirations, but i'm quite happy considering we have one of the worst injury lists currently in the competition.

If we beat West Coast this week, i guarantee opposition supporters will put an asterisk against it as it's at the G and they will be missing a couple.

Given our previous 4-5 years, i'm ecstatic with where we are at, bright future.

Still have to beat who is put in front of you. Come finals time with wind in their sales they will be tough to beat.

People keep moving the goal posts because people don't like it when they are wrong. Remember, 20 weeks ago everybody had us locked into bottom 4. This season is already a massive pass in terms of exceeding expectations. Everybody keeps moving the goal posts though, people are already rolling out excuses for next week if we win. "They have injuries. You're playing them at the 'G." If we beat Sydney in Sydney? "You always beat them up there" Beat port? "Another game at the MCG for Collingwood" Beat Richmond? "Oh it's meaningless it's not finals".

I don't think we're a September threat, not without a lot of things going right from this point onwards. It'll be fun to be there again though, it's been awhile and I'm just stoked for the players who never lost faith in the coach despite the constant media pressure over the last 3-4 years. Good on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't hear anybody complaining about Tigers draw? they haven't played 1 side above them this year.
giphy.gif

ridiculous argument- trotted out incessantly by Hawks and Tigers fans.

It's OK- another team is doing well (defo not my team!)

Tigers and Pies have been most impressive two sides for mine.

Both have had some very good wins, and both have had a couple of ordinary losses.

I would argue Collingwood has been better, considering their extensive and significant injury list- about half (legitimate) best 22 out for decent chunks.
Tigers have been blessed again.

I think Coll will hit the wall shortly- yet have performed beyond what evn the most one-eyed psycho supporter wouldve dreamt.

I fear Tigers are a bit like Collingwood 2011- dominate and expect it will happen- but a key injury here or there and we might see a huge crash.

Port vs Tigers GF with Port saluting for mine

Talking about the draw without putting other things into perspective. We have one of the biggest injury lists in the league and yet sit second on the ladder. At full strength Collingwood is the best team in it IMO.
Based on beating who at the start of the season when had a basically full team?

Hey Collingwood, you’ve been out of the 8 for 4 years and finish bottom 6.
We all laugh.
After being out of the 8 for 4 years & finishing bottom 6, you get the easier draw following AFL policy.
We all whinge.
It'd be good if the AFL just tried to make the fixture as fair and even as possible for all teams instead of trying manipulate everything in the name of "equalisation"

Let's say Collingwood was the sixth best team in the comp (I'm not sure if they are, but let's say they're 6th best.) Wouldn't it be better that they actually finish 6th instead of finishing in the top four courtesy of an easy draw and depriving a better team of the double chance?

I had no idea Collingwood had injuries. Hasn’t been mentioned once in the media

Nawww someone cant handle the narrative being anything but Richmond.

--------

Collingwood have won a lot of games, there is still the back third of the year to see if they can sustain it.

Getting finals experience of a softer draw can still do wonders for a flag tilt the following year if they dont get it done this year.

Big chance of playing most of their finals at MCG anyway.

It'd be good if the AFL just tried to make the fixture as fair and even as possible for all teams instead of trying manipulate everything in the name of "equalisation"

Let's say Collingwood was the sixth best team in the comp (I'm not sure if they are, but let's say they're 6th best.) Wouldn't it be better that they actually finish 6th instead of finishing in the top four courtesy of an easy draw and depriving a better team of the double chance?
OK genius, please explain how you judge a team to be the “sixth best”, and do it before the season starts so the draw can be made accordingly.
We were the 13th best based on last years ladder.
So I guess we should get the 13th easiest draw.
Shock horror - we’ve improved.

Nawww someone cant handle the narrative being anything but Richmond.

--------

Collingwood have won a lot of games, there is still the back third of the year to see if they can sustain it.

Getting finals experience of a softer draw can still do wonders for a flag tilt the following year if they dont get it done this year.

Big chance of playing most of their finals at MCG anyway.

I love how you make it about Richmond all the time. So obsessed. It’s cute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back