VFL Game Day Collingwood vs Essendon - 2nd Elimination Final September 2nd @ 2:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies may have to keep a couple of spares on ice given this game will be a week before their qualifying final so they may go in a little bit thinner than last time they played us.

Francis, Laverde and McNiece are all genuine guns at the level and will be really good inclusions. But if Luenberger doesn't get up and Stewart is ruled ineligible then we're going to be seriously lacking firepower. Even money game for mine.

Pies may have to keep a couple of spares on ice given this game will be a week before their qualifying final so they may go in a little bit thinner than last time they played us.

Francis, Laverde and McNiece are all genuine guns at the level and will be really good inclusions. But if Luenberger doesn't get up and Stewart is ruled ineligible then we're going to be seriously lacking firepower. Even money game for mine.
Why is Stewart ineligible? Did he play more than 12 AFL games? He and Laverde were both omitted in round 11. Is Langford eligible?

Last edited:

I just attempted to read the vfl qualification rules. I think the ones that are relevant to us are:

1. No more than 12 AFL Games
2. If a player has played AFL after July 1st he needs to have played 6 or more VFL games.

Why is Stewart ineligible? Did he play more than 12 AFL games? He and Laverde were both omitted in round 11. Is Langford eligible?

Langford definitely not and Laverde definitely yes. Stewart I think will be but I'm not 100% sure, VFL basically make it up as they go along.

Stewart played 11 AFL, 9 VFL So should be okay.
Laverde played 8 VFL So should be okay
Francis played 11 VFL So OK
McNiece played 6 VFL So Ok
Langford, Dea, Guelfi, Brown didn't play enough VFL.

Don't think there would be any other question marks?

Won't have the time to do a full preview unfortunately. Thought Stewart was ineligible but if he is good, well, it helps. From memory we have ~17 AFL players eligible for finals.

Won't have the time to do a full preview unfortunately. Thought Stewart was ineligible but if he is good, well, it helps. From memory we have ~17 AFL players eligible for finals.

Can they give Treloar and Howe half a game each?

Can they give Treloar and Howe half a game each?
This is for clubs that have both teams in finals:

http://vfl.com.au/finals-eligibility/

any AFL listed player who did not play in the AFL Club’s AFL team in the final round of the AFL home and away season will be eligible to play in the Club’s VFL team in the AFL bye round after the final round of the AFL home and away season.

Surprised that Dea is ineligible to play?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 VFL games for Dea is a bit surprising he must have been held over emergency a fair bit.

Sounds like they are making rules on the run with their eligibility criteria?
Been pretty consistent for a while now.

So as far as a possible side goes we have 17 AFL listed players available (assuming Leuey gets up), which pretty much means our VFL contingent would be Hocking, Hind, Boyse, Younan, Heppell and whoever we choose to be our 23rd player (think it will be either Lazzaro or Sheahan). The side I hope for would look like:

Ridley - Hartley - McNiece
Francis - BZT - Heppell
Merrett - Mutch - Long
Houlahan - Lavender - Laverde
Green - Stewart - Leuenberger
Draper - Clarke - Mynott
Hocking - Boyse - Hind - Younan
Lazzaro/Sheahan

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lavender get pulled because quite frankly he's nowhere near the level required for VFL finals. Collingwood have ruled out Treloar and Moore playing VFL this week (and rightly so, that would be bullshit) but Howe is still a chance. They only had 10 AFL players play for them on the weekend but could have up to 15 play for them this week.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see both Francis and Laverde absolutely dominate this game.

Especially Francis, he’s been a freak at AFL level the last few weeks so who knows what he’ll do to VFL competition. :eek:

Collingwood have ruled out Treloar and Moore playing VFL this week (and rightly so, that would be bullshit)

Why is it bs? The most important thing about VFL is getting players ready for seniors. Perfect opportunity to gain invaluable match practice.

So as far as a possible side goes we have 17 AFL listed players available (assuming Leuey gets up), which pretty much means our VFL contingent would be Hocking, Hind, Boyse, Younan, Heppell and whoever we choose to be our 23rd player (think it will be either Lazzaro or Sheahan). The side I hope for would look like:

Ridley - Hartley - McNiece
Francis - BZT - Heppell
Merrett - Mutch - Long
Houlahan - Lavender - Laverde
Green - Stewart - Leuenberger
Draper - Clarke - Mynott
Hocking - Boyse - Hind - Younan
Lazzaro/Sheahan

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lavender get pulled because quite frankly he's nowhere near the level required for VFL finals. Collingwood have ruled out Treloar and Moore playing VFL this week (and rightly so, that would be bullshit) but Howe is still a chance. They only had 10 AFL players play for them on the weekend but could have up to 15 play for them this week.

That shoulder reconstruction that Lavender had a week ago and the fact he hasn’t played for some weeks should mean it won’t be a shock that he is pulled.

That shoulder reconstruction that Lavender had a week ago and the fact he hasn’t played for some weeks should mean it won’t be a shock that he is pulled.

Didn’t he also have one last year? And injured earlier this year (something else, can’t remember).

Didn’t he also have one last year? And injured earlier this year (something else, can’t remember).

Yep, has had both shoulders reconstructed in the last 12 months. Broken ribs saw him miss all competitive work in preseason, all preseason matches and first 3 rounds. Re fractured them on debut and missed a few more!

A tough journey so far! I agree with eth-dog, he is nowhere near the level, but to be fair he has had to learn the game in pretty trying circumstances.

Yep, has had both shoulders reconstructed in the last 12 months. Broken ribs saw him miss all competitive work in preseason, all preseason matches and first 3 rounds. Re fractured them on debut and missed a few more!

A tough journey so far! I agree with eth-dog, he is nowhere near the level, but to be fair he has had to learn the game in pretty trying circumstances.

Fair enough, even seasoned players struggle when missed chunks of pre season. Hopefully uninterrupted pre season coming up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back