VFL Game Day Collingwood vs Essendon, Victoria Park, Saturday 21/04/18 @ 2:10 PM - Televised on Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Two similar stories for the Pies and Dons early in the season, winning by very big margins in their first matches against weaker opponents but then losing to two of the more fancied teams in the VFL this season a week later. Essendon have a very impressive recent record against the Pies, having not lost to them since 2014, with some big margins in there.

Essendon didn't use the windy conditions at Williamstown very well, trying to be too precise when kicking with it whilst the opposition just pumped inside 50's and had around 40 shots on goal to Essendon's 20-25 at most. Shaun McKernan was good early, kicking the first 3 goals for the Dons before fading away a little bit in the second half whilst Dylan Clarke was like a bull at the gate, collecting over 30 disposals, most of them contested.

Collingwood struggled in the wet against Port Melbourne, going down by 16 points in wet and windy conditions. They didn't have any stand out forwards, with seven individual goal scorers for the Pies. Chris Mayne worked hard for the Pies, collecting 23 disposals, whilst young players Josh Daicos and Brayden Sier got 20 possessions apiece for the Pies.

Overall, I expect Essendon to continue their winning streak against the VFL Pies, Dons by 23

Given Hooker seems to have been shifted into defence and the emergence of Ridley, would like to see Brown shifted forward to see how he goes there

Id say that is a 1% chance at this stage, for Brown its defense or bust if he is to continue his AFL career with us.
Just don't see the need for him as a defender; whereas as a forward he's possibly one injury away from being in the side. I always felt Brown's position should be dictated by where we wanted Hooker. If we want Hooker in defence I'd rather Brown forward.

Just don't see the need for him as a defender; whereas as a forward he's possibly one injury away from being in the side. I always felt Brown's position should be dictated by where we wanted Hooker. If we want Hooker in defence I'd rather Brown forward.
1 injury forward and Hooker moves again to go forward and id guess we play Langford or McKernan ahead of him up forward anyway.

1 injury forward and Hooker moves again to go forward and id guess we play Langford or McKernan ahead of him up forward anyway.
Langford? Won't happen. They're all in on him as a mid, and rightly so. He's better forward than Smack, and has been selected as a forward ahead of Smack whilst both were playing there.

Keeping him in defence is basically wasting a list spot, because he's behind Hooker and Hurley, probably Ambrose and possibly Hartley. We know he can play forward competently so why not throw him there?
But it’s Mitch Brown, he’s a gun, just ask Ethan
FFS. Where have I ever said that?

Back in 2016 Brown kicked four in a game and there was another game where he had 4-5 shots and missed a few. That was with a depleted team, so can play forward.

You would hope Langford and Laverde are in front of him though. Doesn’t matter if Langdord’s been trained for mid, if he can’t get a game in the mid and we have a number of injuries up forward then he would definitely get a call up.

We are so either/or when it comes to positions at Essendon.
Anyway, looking at where Brown plays in the Vfl, I feel it's more to do with who else needs the development time - ie Lavender or Draper in the forward line , or nZerk, Ridley or (godwilling) Francis. Brown is still decent depth.
Anyway, might head down to this one on Sat - playing on Vic Park the week after so will be good to get a look at the ground. Hope AFrancis plays :praying:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the VFL team out yet?
Yeah:

Francis - Ridley - Hind
Redman - BZT - McNiece
Long - Mynott - Hocking
Boyse - Draper - Merrett
Laverde - McKernan - Mutch
Leuenberger - Langford - Clarke

Berry - Dixon - Fennell - Harrison
Heppell - Houlahan - Marklew - McQueen
Ottavi - Sheahan - Strachan - Sheahan
23P: Crosbie

They have a small side; especially in defence if McLarty plays as a forward.

Yeah:

Francis - Ridley - Hind
Redman - BZT - McNiece
Long - Mynott - Hocking
Boyse - Draper - Merrett
Laverde - McKernan - Mutch
Leuenberger - Langford - Clarke

Berry - Dixon - Fennell - Harrison
Heppell - Houlahan - Marklew - McQueen
Ottavi - Sheahan - Strachan - Sheahan
23P: Crosbie

They have a small side; especially in defence if McLarty plays as a forward.

Nice, should be near a TV tomorrow so will be good to see some of our young draftees for the first time, and how the others go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back