Game Day Collingwood Vs North Saturday May 8: Avoiding the spoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
47F63FCE-74EA-4A33-9F13-0CA842E404E9.png

18TH V 17TH

AFL 2021 PREMIERSHIP SEASON
NORTH MELBOURNE V COLLINGWOOD
SATURDAY MAY 8TH 4:35PM EST (MARVEL STADIUM)

TEAMS

KANGAROOS

B: A.Bonar, B.McKay, S.Atley
HB: J.Ziebell, J.Walker, A.Hall
C: T.Powell, J.Simpkin, T.Thomas
HF: K.Turner, C.Taylor, C.Zurhaar
F: J.Mahony, N.Larkey, J.Stephenson
FOLL: T.Goldstein, B.Cunnington, L.Davies-Uniacke

I/C: La.Young, C.Menadue, C.Lazzaro, T.Campbell
EMG: B.Scott, A.Bosenavulagi, W.Phillips, T.Xerri

IN: L.Davies-Uniacke
OUT: W.Phillips, A.Bosenavulagi (omitted)

MAGPIES
B: J.Roughead, D.Moore, M.Keane
HB: I.Quaynor, B.Maynard, J.Noble
C: N.Murphy, S.Pendlebury, C.Poulter
HF: T.Brown, B.Mihocek, W.Hoskin-Elliott
F: J.De Goey, D.Cameron, O.Henry
FOLL: B.Grundy, S.Sidebottom, J.Crisp

I/C: B.McCreery, J.Thomas, J.Daicos, C.Mayne
EMG: C.Brown, M.Cox, F.Macrae, B.Sier

IN: T.Brown, O.Henry
OUT: C.Brown, F.Macrae, J.Rantall (all omitted)

Them

This is where I'm meant to analyse the strengths and weakness of the opposition and who we need to nullify. However, they've been unwatchable for the last two years and I haven't really got any idea about who they are. The last time I watched them just about the only player I recognised was Ziebull, who has somehow transformed from a hard nut mid into a bloke who just gets cheap kicks in defence and kicks it sideways to someone in the back pocket before calling for it back - achieving nothing except a heap of dream team points. There was also this blonde kid who looked familiar - fast, a bit skinny though and not real strong over the ball. Cunnington's a bloody good player and his aggression in the midfield has worried us in the past, but that should be counterbalanced if they play the blonde kid beside him.

US

When I put my name down for this game, I thought it would be a game of little interest and wasn't sure whether to call this review "What have we done?" or "Good riddance to the drink pissing flog." I thought that Stepho would be the only real interest in the game, but that question is still floating in the sky and surprisingly has become irrelevant. We've been so bad for the last few weeks that this has become a game for pride. We, the proudest of clubs, have endured an offseason from hell spiked with some dumb pride from Eddie and have followed it with an on season from hell. A loss in this game would put us in the running for the shame of the spoon, without even an early draft pick to console us with.

But that's not going to happen. We don't win spoons, and we're certainly not going to win one whilst we have players as good and as proud as Grundy, Moore and Pendles in the team. Maynard, IQ and Crisp bursting from defence and the mighty clydesdale Mihocek working as hard as two players up forward. The exciting Henry, fresh off a VFL game, where he looked incredible in the air, has come in to give us some glimpses of the excitement he's going to offer for a decade. This is the day that we shake off the hangover from the list committees almighty preseason bender and begin to regain some pride.

After movies and songs, this match is about books:

1620403263434.png

Macarthy's harrowing story about a voyage along a desolate road through a dying civilisation and planet that is the ideal metaphor for our season to date. But unlike this book, a few flowers will be discovered at the end with the promise of forests teeming with life.

1620403512235.png
Instead of the holy Good Old Collingwood forever, all we've heard at the end of games this year is Satanic Verses. That too will change.

1620403585291.png
This is for us tragics who have spent too much time tapping out our footballing frustrations in angry posts on this site.

1620403782374.png

The tale of our magnificent aging captain, who keeps going on and on, refusing to give in, even when surrounded by a midfield gulf.

1620404292730.png

What North supporters will be asking as we put them to the sword.

Prediction
We'll smash them. Pies by 10 goals. Henry to kick three. Sidey to regain his mojo. Darcy back in defence and absolutely dominating.
Go Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Macarthy's harrowing story about a voyage along a desolate road through a civilisation and planet that is the ideal metaphor for our season to date. But unlike this book, a few flowers will be discovered at the end with the promise of forests teeming with life.

The weird thing with Sier is that in his last game as the medical sub, he played really well. Would have been in our best couple in the last quarter, yet he seems to have been ignored since ... even after a dominant VFL performance.

If he was asked to keep Brodie in check last week, then that makes sense because Brodie got about a zillion possessions in that game. Otherwise, I don't understand it. He is a player of promise in a position of need, who has attributes that we need and that nobody else on our list possesses. Sure, he's got things to work on, but he seems like an obvious selection to me.

Strangely enough, Brodie's zillion possessions didn't get him a look in at the Gold Coast selection table.

For those in the know, what's the knock on him? Former top 10 pick who is carving it up at reserves level, but can't get a look in at AFL level (hasn't played since round 3 and only played once last year). Is he worth looking at?

Last edited:

Love ‘The Road’ by Cornac McCarthy.

Yeah I think the wooden spoon is impossible. Even if we lose today there is no way we end up behind a team with 49.2% percentage.

Happy with the inclusions... but really should’ve been more. Why Mayne and Thomas remain is effin beyond me.

Pies by 27 points

We should win this one. NM are currently worst in the comp but have a young list and will improve as the year goes by. Today wont be their day but we are gettable if we dont turn up turned on.

This year is a write off, a loss would be terrible but probably not hurt that much in the long run. It would certify the rebuild we seem to need

Still should be a day to enjoy in a bad season. Hope its not fall over the line stuff. Want something to hang our hats on even if only for a week

I wouldn’t write Norf off today, this is their opportunity and are capable of some good football.

that said, if we bring it today we’ll go on and win this.

Pies by 34

Our current time slots are terrible. I’ve got my kid’s sports so also can’t watch the game. We kept our membership during covid and now can’t go because of god awful time slots.

The AFL is run by a bunch of greedy sh*t bags.

Yep, it's an absolute stinker. And a few more coming up too because we've been so crap this year. Rich are getting richer (Richmond, Geelong etc) but the Pies would be taking hits all over the park.

I was thinking about just avoiding the score and watching it from the start on Saturday night but I just don't know if I'll be able to.

Is there an easy way to compare the average age/games played before a game commences?

Think we will win this game and should really go on to win at least half a dozen more for the year. We're going badly but we're not that bad.
Yeah I think Howe, Adams and to a lesser extent Elliott will make a huge difference. I don’t see us finishing 17th like we are currently sitting.

Nothing to do with being on the outer. I’d take a look at what their respective opponents did in the game. Raw stats in isolation don’t always tell the full story.

Agreed - but I did actually watch the game and felt Sier was much more impactful. Anyway, good luck to Tyler. Hopefully he shows that he really belongs at AFL level. As for Bear, clearly he’s going to have to string together a bunch of compelling performances to get another shot at AFL level. Here’s hoping he does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The saddest thing is the list isn't totally sh*te but morale appears to be shattered.

The on field leadership group have a lot to answer for a well as the coaching/admin staff.

Just on leadership.....

Endorsing Steele Sidebottom in the leadership team for season 2021 after fundamentally failing the team last year was a very poor decision.

The weird thing with Sier is that in his last game as the medical sub, he played really well. Would have been in our best couple in the last quarter, yet he seems to have been ignored since ... even after a dominant VFL performance.

If he was asked to keep Brodie in check last week, then that makes sense because Brodie got about a zillion possessions in that game. Otherwise, I don't understand it. He is a player of promise in a position of need, who has attributes that we need and that nobody else on our list possesses. Sure, he's got things to work on, but he seems like an obvious selection to me.

Strangely enough, Brodie's zillion possessions didn't get him a look in at the Gold Coast selection table.

For those in the know, what's the knock on him? Former top 10 pick who is carving it up at reserves level, but can't get a look in at AFL level (hasn't played since round 3 and only played once last year). Is he worth looking at?
Perhaps with Sier it’s a matter of following instructions?
He may have several areas he needs to work on.
If he’s not meeting those requirements, he’s not considered for senior selection?

Is there an easy way to compare the average age/games played before a game commences?

Think we will win this game and should really go on to win at least half a dozen more for the year. We're going badly but we're not that bad.

Footywire website lists the weekly teams with a break down of averages. But not on the mobile version. This is this weeks:

C42CDB24-118C-4665-BF09-0260C1091BA4.jpeg

Not a lot between the two sides. Both missing some key players. Both having to play catch up and play lots of kids now because they have too few players in the crucial 50-149 games bracket... which is roughly that 22-26 age bracket

It’s list mismanagement that gets a club to that point. Geelong will have the same issues 2 years from now.

I'm going to da game barefoot mate.. no Lagerfeld's no Rossi's.. not even easy way out.. Marlow's mate.. not even $8 kmart synthetic sh*t.. no nufin mate.. no nufin mate..

I have absolutely had it.
So it will be ‘Barefoot in the Park’.
Will you be Robert Redford or Jane Fonda?

North are normally as unwanted as herpes at the Mount Eliza Swingers’ Club

But we want North this week

We want to smash them, kick 8 in the last, and jam a metaphorical shinbone up the dates of their 13 fans

The Kordanator wants to lose his Presidential Virginity

He wants to bellow wax-chested in a circle of black and white warriors spraying him in Gatorade

IF The Kordanator has had too many pinots, he may reveal his fresh testicular tuck

Pendles to ragdoll Stepho like he did to Daisy

Darce to return to AA backline form

And Checkers and McCreery to play the games of their lives

Collingwood by 64 points

Footywire website lists the weekly teams with a break down of averages. But not on the mobile version. This is this weeks:

View attachment 1121261

Not a lot between the two sides. Both missing some key players. Both having to play catch up and play lots of kids now because they have too few players in the crucial 50-149 games bracket... which is roughly that 22-26 age bracket

It’s list mismanagement that gets a club to that point. Geelong will have the same issues 2 years from now.

Thanks. I did look on Footywire but the mobile thing is probably where I ran into trouble.

Wish they had a 0-10 game bracket!

Outstanding review sr!

I can't make it to the game so will be watching this one from the comfort of home later on in the evening. We should get used to the Saturday afternoon timeslot for the next year or 2.

I want to see Tyler given time on the ball and Henry building some belief against less premium opposition. Yep, looking for silver linings.

The grand final replay against North was the first time I remember crying as a kid because of a Collingwood loss so beating them always carries significance to me.

Collingwood by 4 goals and Mayne to finish with 24 touches of which 21 are sideways hospital kicks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back