Game Day Collingwood vs Port Adelaide, Rd 10, MCG 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood (16th) vs Port Adelaide (5th)

1621694879350.png 1621694914936.png

Head to head:

Played: 32
Won: 16
Lost: 16

Form:

Port Adelaide - 5th (6-3)

The Power have been an enigmatic lot for the first 3rd of 2021. With 5 of their 6 wins coming against teams currently outside the top 8, it's hard to judge where their best form lies. Are they a true contender? Or are they simply another 5th-8th team thats beats up on inferior opposition and makes the most of a parochial home ground advantage when the breaks come? I feel like todays effort will lend itself to solidifying an opinion, one way or another, despite the oppositions very clear and present issues.

Individually the Power have A-graders. Travis Boak continues his elite form into his ever-green years, playing as well as ever. Oliie Wines has found a length in 2021 on the back of an enormous pre-season. And Karl Amon has elevated himself to one of the competitions premier flankers/wingman, with possible All-Australian honours in his sights. This isn't a 22 to be taken lightly.

Collingwood - 16th (2-7)

The Pies are in turmoil in basically every facet of the club. Off-field, a shambles continues to steal headlines - making the job for those on-field even more difficult than it needs to be. As playing group, there isn't much to hang your hat on. Ageing stars, who have been stalwarts for many years, are faltering. The youth, while promising, is still somewhat untried. And the players at the 'peak of their powers' i.e Jordan De Goey, Brodie Grundy, and Darcy Moore are having inconspicuous years. Jack Crisp continues his astonishing run of games without injury, and playing exceptionally at the same time. While Isaac Quaynor, Beau McCreery and Caleb Poulter offer a ray of hope based on their current output moving into 2022 and beyond.

The game-plan itself is flawed. 15th in marks, 14th in total points, 15th in tackles, 17th in I50's and 12th in clearances paints a pretty clear picture of significant deficiencies. If the Pies are to mount a challenge, it'll be shutting down the Powers dominance around the contest and their use of the ball between the arcs.

Teams:

Collingwood:

FB: Chris Mayne - Jordan Roughead - Brayden Maynard
HB: Isaac Quaynor - Darcy Moore - John Noble
C: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Taylor Adams - Caleb Poulter
HF: Steele Sidebottom - Darcy Cameron - Tyler Brown
FF: Josh Thomas - Jordan De Goey - Brodie Mihocek
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Jack Crisp
I: Callum Brown - Josh Daicos - Beau McCreery - Tom Wilson

Port Adelaide:

FB: Ryan Burton - Trent McKenzie - Aliir Aliir
HB: Hamish Hartlett - Tom Jonas - Darcy Byrne-Jones
C: Dan Houston - Ollie Wines - Karl Amon
HF: Mitch Georgiades - Todd Marshall - Steven Motlop
FF: Conor Rozee - Charlie Dixon - Robbie Gray
R: Peter Ladhams - Travis Boak - Sam Powell-Pepper
I: Kane Farrell - Lachie Jones - Willem Drew - Riley Bonner

Key Matchups:

Jordan De Goey vs Trent McKenzie

I would hazard a guess that McKenzie has been brought into the team, on the back of Clurey's unavailability, to play specifically on De Goey. At similar sizes, on paper he appears a likely match-up. That being said, De Goey has an opportunity to use his speed, agility and general creativeness around goal to cause headaches for the Power defence, specifically McKenzie himself, who isn't known for his quickness, or ability when the ball hits the ground.

Brayden Maynard vs Robbie Gray

Maynard has had a very poor 2021 thus far, leaking goals, using the ball poorly by foot - he is not quite the player he was of 2020. Robbie Gray is still as cunning as ever, and still proves threatening around goals even to this day as a 33yr old. With the focus likely to be on Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades - it can't be understated the criticality of not allowing Gray off the chain.

John Noble vs Steven Motlop

This is a wonderful match-up. Noble has been in solid form, apart from a generally calamitous outing against the Swans, in a backline that has been holding up well. While Motlop has been quiet, but threatening, in his 2021 campaign to date. The reason this clash creates such interest is Noble is attacking by nature, liking to be create between the arcs using his footskills to establish attacking chains the results in scoring opportunities. While this sounds good in theory, it creates an opportunity via rebound for the Power, who will use Motlop as an out-man on the back of any turnovers midfield - looking to expose Noble on the break.

Tip

It really doesn't make any sense to tip the Pies. But at the same token we're Collingwood - the greatest sporting club in the land. With the most passionate supporter base, never say die attitude - and ability to overcome incredible odds to post W's when all seems lost. If there was ever a time to live these values, based on where the organisation as a whole is at right now - then this is it.

Also, the Power are no longer the Magpies. And gave up that right to join the AFL. * you and your Sunrise-hosting ******* President.

On a limb - Pies by 7 points.

FYI - anyone who doubts our ability to overcome adversity, specifically against this rubbish mob. Check out the below, one of my fondest ever memories:

According to Gallup, 78% of South Australians would prefer to go on a road trip with a serial killer than with Kochie

This Apex Spanker sets the tone for the club: paranoid, unlikeable, and irrelevant

Apart from their cross-eyed frothers, would anyone notice if the club was disbanded?

And this is what the jumper controversy is all about: low rent clickbait to try to make people give a flying f*ck about their existence

They deserve to be draped in teal

They are a throw rug

Or a cushion soiled by an incontinent Labrador called Simon

Give them aubergine if they detest teal so much

I have a 6.30am Jetstar from Sydney

Going to the game with my redheaded sister who will fire-up when needed

We will witness:
* Adams giving us some campaigner-intensity in the middle
* Jordy going hard at the ball, not Quaynor's butt
* And Daics goaling from 65 with a torp because it’s in his genes

Collingwood by 64 points

First game I’ve been to since Anzac Day, and finally back in my seat! Looking forward to seeing Adams back. Hopefully this will lift the side to a famous victory.

Let’s send Kock the Campaigner home crying.

Leviathan Pie awesome review mate. 💪 :thumbsu:

It's going to be a beautiful day at the G; there is a natural order of things and it will be restored.

As ordinary as our year has been, as badly as the club is functioning at every level, our president does not look like this kn*b:

Screenshot_20210523-081124_Chrome.jpg

IQ to be ice-cool and awesome, Maynard to regain his kicking skills, Adams to be the driver for our midfield dominance, and JDG to finish with 4.

Collingwood by 18 in a free-flowing high-skill game and JDG to be filmed pinching his own arse at the end of the game which will lead to an AFL investigation.

According to Gallup, 78% of South Australians would prefer to go on a road trip with a serial killer than with Kochie

This Apex Spanker sets the tone for the club: paranoid, unlikeable, and irrelevant

Apart from their cross-eyed frothers, would anyone notice if the club was disbanded?

And this is what the jumper controversy is all about: low rent clickbait to try to make people give a flying f*ck about their existence

They deserve to be draped in teal

They are a throw rug

Or a cushion soiled by an incontinent Labrador called Simon

Give them aubergine if they detest teal so much

I have a 6.30am Jetstar from Sydney

Going to the game with my redheaded sister who will fire-up when needed

We will witness:
* Adams giving us some campaigner-intensity in the middle
* Jordy going hard at the ball, not Quaynor's butt
* And Daics goaling from 65 with a torp because it’s in his genes

Collingwood by 64 points
To sum up, Ivan Milat is a better bloke than Kochie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fielding 7 players over 150 games... Bucks is playing almost the most senior team possible - bar Cameron for Cox and Wilson for Magden.

Not the best way forward... and won’t change today’s result for the better

All I want to see is Attacking football, take the game on,
handballing FORWARD to a MOVING player , play through the corridor, forwards stop pushing up the ground, utilise the man on mark rule with runners, marks inside 50, is this to much to ask.

First game I’ve been to since Anzac Day, and finally back in my seat! Looking forward to seeing Adams back. Hopefully this will lift the side to a famous victory.

Let’s send Kock the Campaigner home crying.

Glad you're back at the footy. Sweet day for it.

Echo of others, a great write-up by Leviathan Pie

I'm slated for the write-up of the next Coll v PA game. In the spirit of the Port Pilferers, I think I'll just copy the bulk of this week's fine preview and claim it as my own.

Edit: Pies by a goal.

Interesting watch today, definitely hoping the boys can continue with the shock results this round, and knock of the Power today. Conditions will suit Ports run and carry game, so hopefully we can close them down and apply pressure to the ball carrier. Need to make sure our disposal efficiency is on song, otherwise Port will make us pay heavily on the turnover.
Going with the heart, Pies by 11....McCreery to snag 3, Poulter 20+ disposals. A couple of the young guns to stand up today!!

All I want to see is Attacking football, take the game on,
handballing FORWARD to a MOVING player , play through the corridor, forwards stop pushing up the ground, utilise the man on mark rule with runners, marks inside 50, is this to much to ask.

Whoa whoa settle down there mate! You’ll give the coaches an aneurism with all these difficult new concepts at once!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back