Collingwood - where they at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good post.

If all collingwood fans were as reasonable as this they wouldn't cop the flak they do after a loss.
I dont think anyone at Collingwood ever expected the club to be a real force until 2009. Given the current amount of 1st and 2nd year players. We probably are only a little advanced on last year where we came into the second half of the year, after a very good 1st half with some very tired young players.

Hopefully next year will see some of the players like Thomas and Pendlebury put on 5 or 6 Kg's of muscle and they can become the midfield unit rather than part of a midfield rotation. The year after, the club should be in the window as such, as long as we develop a ruck and a FB to compliment what we have developed so far.

We are in the second or third year of a full rebuild of the footy club. It was only in 2005 that we finished 15th in the ladder, and in the bottom 4 for a second year in a row.

A couple of years later and we're still looking like making the finals for the second year in a row after people predicted that we'd be holding the ladder up from the bottom, and we lose one game badly and all of a sudden we're going to be bad for years?

Regardless of the Brisbane game, we have exceeded most people's expectations this season, and blooded more youngsters than any other team in the competition, IIRC.

Guys like Shaw, Cloke, Thomas, Pendlebury, O'Brien, Goldsack, Clarke and a range of others are all only going to get better - If we threw a few more games and finished in the 10-12 range would be be more of a rising side?

We're a side with a lot of young players, getting some wins on their form combined with some veteran help.

good post Vinnie - articulate, reasonable, humble...are you sure you're a Pie fan?? ;)

i think the Pies have been fantastic this year - new players have stepped up and covered injuries to some senior players

i was under the impression your lot were a young side with a lot of players finding their feet at the senior level (which they are)

you can imagine how surprised I was to see the following breakdown on age and experience on show in last night's unexpectedly one-sided encounter:

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]
Collingwood        Attribute           Brisbane
187.1cm            Height              188.7cm
87.0kg             Weight              87.1kg
25yr 0mth          Age                 23yr 9mth
98.2               Games               66.4

Collingwood        Games               Brisbane
9                  Less than 50        14
1                  50 to 99            2
6                  100 to 149          2
6                  150 or more         4
[/FONT]

the lions were slightly taller and heavier despite being more than a year younger on average and the Pies being 32 games (or roughly 50%) more experienced :eek:

the games breakdown is amazing too:

* collingwood had 12 players with more than 100 games whereas the lions had only 6

* brisbane have 14 players yet to hit the magic 50 game mark compared to the Pies' 9 and 16 players yet to play 100 games compared to 10

don't get me wrong, i don't think last night's score was a true reflection of the distance between the sides - the lions were on song while the pies had a dog of a night

that said, perhaps some notorious trolls like FuManchu might stop dropping over to the Lions board telling us what a crap coach Leigh Matthews...Lethal's obviously doing something right :rolleyes:

We played like s**t. Everyone has a bad game. Nothing went right, everything went wrong. Our disposal was the worst I've ever seen, nobody seemed to want the ball, there was endless fumbling and half-arsed tackles. It was just a terrible, terrible night for us, against a team that was at their absolute best. West Coast got done by 91pts a few weeks back, look at them now. Hawthorn got spanked by the Crows, they will bounce back too. We just have to forget last night, and come out next week and play the way we were the entire year.

Shattered about Pendlebury, rumours are that he won't play for the rest of the year.

I'm thinking in terms of experience also. First year players and the likes.

beatnik's brilliant post shoots that theory down too, although I can see how you can reach that conclusion without spending time going into the research. A lot of new players have come into their side, as has been very well publicised and stated over and over.

His post is just up a couple, with the direct link below in case you miss it

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8243413&postcount=31

beatnik's brilliant post shoots that theory down too, although I can see how you can reach that conclusion without spending time going into the research. A lot of new players have come into their side, as has been very well publicised and stated over and over.

His post is just up a couple, with the direct link below in case you miss it

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8243413&postcount=31
You're missing the point of the discussion though - It's not as though anyone is suggesting that Collingwood lost because they were such a young side in the face of Brisbane's experience.

Moreso, it is just saying that Collingwood, being a young side, were likely at some point to go completely off the boil, as they did last night. Brisbane have done it this year as well, just like all young sides do.

You're missing the point of the discussion though - It's not as though anyone is suggesting that Collingwood lost because they were such a young side in the face of Brisbane's experience.

Moreso, it is just saying that Collingwood, being a young side, were likely at some point to go completely off the boil, as they did last night. Brisbane have done it this year as well, just like all young sides do.
But are Collingwood truely a young side? Out of the teams that have played so far this weekend they are the 4th oldest.

But are Collingwood truely a young side? Out of the teams that have played so far this weekend they are the 4th oldest.

Well the entire list may show to be the 4th oldest but what we are referring too when stating that we are a young team is that our best players this year are our young players and we no longer rely on Bucks, Jimmy Clement.

T Cloke (21), Thomas(19/20), Pendlebury(19/20), H Shaw(21/22), Swan(23).

Scott Burns (32 approx ) and Tarkyn Lockyer (28 approx) would also be in our best this year but our best are predominately young players.

Well the entire list may show to be the 4th oldest but what we are referring too when stating that we are a young team is that our best players this year are our young players and we no longer rely on Bucks, Jimmy Clement.

T Cloke (21), Thomas(19/20), Pendlebury(19/20), H Shaw(21/22), Swan(23).

Scott Burns (32 approx ) and Tarkyn Lockyer (28 approx) would also be in our best this year but our best are predominately young players.

This is exactly what i'm referring to :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dale Thomas - 32 matches
Scott Pendlebury - 25 matches
Heath Shaw - 44 matches
Tyson Goldsack - 9 matches
Martin Clarke - 5 matches
Travis Cloke - 46 matches
Harry Obrien - 27 matches

While other teams do have more inexperienced players than this, these guys are basically our best players week in week out. We rely on these guys so much, because we seem to have very very few players in the middle age range to rely on. I think thats why we're seen as a young side, and therefore prone to having bad patches, because we rely on our young players so much. In terms of our entire list, we are the youngest team in the comp arent we? (I know that isnt relevant to the side on the field though).

I believe next week will be the test for us - if we come out of the blocks and get back on form against Carlton it will be as if this loss never happened. Except for the regrettable percentage loss, of course, which may well cost us.

Still, I am confident that the Brisbane loss will be our absolute lowest ebb for the year and we will continue to exceed expectations and will shoot for a top-four spot.

But it's all in _how_ we win. How we play. If we are once again hard at the ball, determined, interested even, like we were not this week... we will know this week's performance is not a permanent fixture.

I think Collingwood being 'young' as an excuse for last night's shalacking is just a cop out.

Teams that have more than just a smattering of inexperienced players like Collingwood do are prone to a big thumping every so often, especially late in the season. It's not an excuse, the Pies were destroyed by a very switched on team. Brisbane are also a young side and it wasn't all that long ago that Essendon gave them a pasting.

Teams that have more than just a smattering of inexperienced players like Collingwood do are prone to a big thumping every so often, especially late in the season. It's not an excuse, the Pies were destroyed by a very switched on team. Brisbane are also a young side and it wasn't all that long ago that Essendon gave them a pasting.

very true - young teams tend to have a greater gap between their best and worst displays

sadly, some Lions fans were in panic mode during our form slump this season but you just have to wait out those bad times because when it all clicks, a young team can play a brilliant, unpredictable brand of football which is a joy to watch

the Pies have played some great footy this year and deserved to go into the match as favourites - sure, they've stalled in the past few weeks but it is crucial they don't start internalising Saturday's dramatic upset or it could turn into a full-blown form slump at the wrong end of the season

the problem for C'wood is that when you are part of such a high profile team there is little opportunity to just forget the game and move on - it will be replayed ad nauseum

talking from recent experience; you really need your senior players firing when the kids are struggling - i think it gives them confidence

Clement's return is something to look forward to; his composure at the back was sorely missed against the Lions and he will

i also agree with the earlier poster who noted that the Lions and the Pies are both young teams on the up and we will have some great struggles down the track

also, i only highlighted the stats to show just how young the Lions actually are - something rarely acknowledged in the southern media or here on BF during our recent slump :rolleyes:

peace

Something went dreadfully wrong against a rampant Lions side. The Lions ran, but the Magpies appeared stale. I really cannot understand the way the Magpies were so badly affected by pressure from the other team. The passes, were just horrible, and when the Lions got the ball, nobody was interested. OK!! I would ask the Magpie fans if this is a fair assessment.

Two weeks ago, I thought the Magpies were a certainty to make the Grand Final. What happened in between?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back