Opinion Collingwood will return to finals footy in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll provide something at least for next year but take out the over 30's and you've got:

Midfield: Grundy, Crisp, Adams, K-Mart Dusty, J Daicos, N Daicos is a pretty strong start to a team. Especially when Macrae, Poulter looked goon in year 1.

Backline: Moore, Maynard, Qaynor with Noble and some other talents is handy

Forward line: Ageing Elliott and Mihocek. Henry and McCreery look talented. De Goey rotates through. But it's hard to see where a finals quality forward line is coming from.

I can certainly see a return to finals by 2023. Even next year wouldn't shock. But maybe the trickiest role for the new coach is to manage some of inevitable retirements and old guys falling out of the 22.

I think Collingwood could be in a spot of bother over next couple of seasons. I just don’t see them making finals by 2023. The kids from the 2020 draft will go a fair way to tell us how quickly they’ll rise.

I think Collingwood could be in a spot of bother over next couple of seasons. I just don’t see them making finals by 2023. The kids from the 2020 draft will go a fair way to tell us how quickly they’ll rise.

Agreed. They have a bit of a mini rebuild going ahead and a new coach and assistants. Likely a different game plan to understand and implement.

You don't work on that for 12 months and then bounce back into finals the following year.

End of 2022 Pendlebery and Sidebottom will be another year older and slower.

The Pies won't stay down for long but making finals in 2023 would be an amazing turn around.

Didn't the op think the Pies were a chance for finals after rolling Melbourne in round 12?

He is an optimistic fella

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Bazinga.

There are holes everywhere in that 22. If they’re out of the bottom four I’d be surprised.
Harsh.

Wouldn't mind taking Grundy as a salary dump also. Would be useful if he could get refreshed ala Cripps.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm tempted to laugh and scoff but then I remember that most people had us as bottom 2 this year so you never know.
Well played sir.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I can foresee the Pies making the lower reaches of the 8 in 2022, and improving after that.

I believe our new coach has what it takes to make a real impact, develop our young list. He has a tremendous CV and it's just about unanimous in the industry that he is going to be a great coach.

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe that Collingwood has the basis of a solid, competitive team, and with a bit of luck in drafting/trading ....blue skies ahead!

I lived through our Wooden Spoon year in 76 and the transformation the following year when Hafey arrived was unbelievable. We basically had the same group of players in 77, with the exception of Magro and Worthington. I can see a repeat of this Phoenix rising from the ashes in 2022.
You’re a bloody genius.
I’ve never been more convinced that a club would finish bottom 4 this year (coming from out of it) than I was of Collingwood this year. Never been more sure of a club winning a wooden spoon than I am of Collingwood next year. Finals in 2023 would be nothing short of a miracle.

Pies will bounce back soon enough because they’re Collingwood and it’s hard to keep them down, but the list is not in good shape. Think low expectations will actually help them out in the short term.
I know you weren’t trolling but geez you were way off.

Legit question - anyone still reckon Pies will drop off and miss finals in 2023?

Not being cheeky with the question, but the whole 12 wins under 2 goals has a lot of people saying it could’ve easily been 6-6 and missing finals all together so people would be thinking Pies will ‘restore balance’ and drop back down to that 9th-13th area.

Not being cheeky with the question, but the whole 12 wins under 2 goals has a lot of people saying it could’ve easily been 6-6 and missing finals all together so people would be thinking Pies will ‘restore balance’ and drop back down to that 9th-13th area.
I saw enough about five weeks ago, when a lot of oppo supporters were saying they were just lucky.

To be fair, I reckon I saw it in the game against us. We didn't play badly.

Didn’t think that I’d read anything more pathetic then the article this week about Collingwood supposedly now “winning” the fire sale trades (aka the single worst trade period by a single club in afl history)…

… Until I read this thread.
Dunno about Treloar but we cleaned up on dumping Phillips and Stephenson. 2 out of 3 aint bad

Legit question - anyone still reckon Pies will drop off and miss finals in 2023?

Not sure. It isn’t out of the question as the Pies will get a tougher draw next year. It probably depends how injury free your core is, the older players have helped the young ones massively this season. Even with a tougher draw I expect the Pies to make the 8 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno about Treloar but we cleaned up on dumping Phillips and Stephenson. 2 out of 3 aint bad
HAd you kept your desire to get rid of Treloar in house you would have gotten a good haul of draft picks for him

He is a very over rated player. When he was on the trade table I thought it was a genius idea as a team would get sucked into greatly over paying for him

To be honest Collingwood are probably the least likely team in the comp to be playing finals in 2023.

Nick Daicos is a good start, but they really need to add quality to a pretty underwhelming u-23 group.

Would be interesting to see the approach next off-season with Moore and De Goey as free agents. There's a good chance compensation for those two could net top 5 picks.

The list Under 23 appears pretty damn good to be honest.

Collingwood have further to fall. The cupboards are bare.

Losing your first rounder this year is criminal.

Too big a club to stay out of finals for long, but I'd be very surprised if they were not bottom four next year and the year after.

This may be the best of the posts

Not sure. It isn’t out of the question as the Pies will get a tougher draw next year. It probably depends how injury free your core is, the older players have helped the young ones massively this season. Even with a tougher draw I expect the Pies to make the 8 though.
With that tougher draw, how many times would we have to play Melbourne?

Can we play them 22 times?

With that tougher draw, how many times would we have to play Melbourne?

Can we play them 22 times?

Who knows but weirdly whether we win or not I’d hope to have a game against the Pies in Melbourne. Be about time

I should’ve had the balls to predict that Collingwood will probably be premiership favourites in 2023…

Gee this is great.

I’m sure there won’t be any opposition fans rushing in to gloat about how wrong you are, how woeful our list is and our mismanaged out cap has been. Rightly.

Thanks OP 👍
Have faith instead of calling me a moron a couple of posts after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back