Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus
2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

12kilos

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best tall forward in the draft? Despite actually being the third picked tall forward in the first 4 picks?

We took the best midfielder in the draft. We are happy.
Hollands was the best medium small not Phillips according to everyone except probably Nth Melbourne. Dont forget the old saying pyke midfielders are a dime a dozen . key positional players are not.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hollands was the best medium small not Phillips according to everyone except probably Nth Melbourne. Dont forget the old saying pyke midfielders are a dime a dozen . key positional players are not.

I can't remember ever mentioning "medium small", I said midfielder. Hollands isn't a midfielder, yet.

In fact, we took 2 of the first 3 mids taken in the draft. Normally you need 2 x top 3-4 picks for that scenario.

Also, North weren't the only ones. There's ben a few recruiting teams state they had Phillips/Thilthorpe neck and neck. Hollands actually didn't get a whole heap of mentions. Rendell had Phillips at #1 FWIW.

Rendell had Phillips at #1 FWIW.
The same Rendell who has Daicos at #1 next year and the best junior he's seen despite your trepidations on the 'pies draft strategy?

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't remember ever mentioning "medium small", I said midfielder. Hollands isn't a midfielder, yet.

In fact, we took 2 of the first 3 mids taken in the draft. Normally you need 2 x top 3-4 picks for that scenario.

Also, North weren't the only ones. There's ben a few recruiting teams state they had Phillips/Thilthorpe neck and neck. Hollands actually didn't get a whole heap of mentions. Rendell had Phillips at #1 FWIW.

Look I reckon Phillips will be great. His leadership and professionalism is exactly what you guys need.

But when you say a “few“, you must really mean none.

The only midfielder who got a mention as a possible number 1 pick by the other respective club recruiters was Holland’s.

Last edited:

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best tall forward in the draft? Despite actually being the third picked tall forward in the first 4 picks?

We took the best midfielder in the draft. We are happy.
Theres always midfielders. You traded your best tall and have nothing substantial to replace him.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Theres always midfielders. You traded your best tall and have nothing substantial to replace him.

I mean, we have a 22 year old 198cm key forward that kicks 1.5 goals a game, which is more than Naughton, Hipwood, Max King, Oscar Allen, Todd Marshall etc......

Great Article what happened in the Draft Room:

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Great Article what happened in the Draft Room:

Wow that is a magnificent incite as to what goes on in the draft war room. Great piece.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
I think someone on the Pies board worked out (based on this years finish positions) that those picks (before discount) could match a bid for Daicos around 11.

Probably not quite enough based on his projection. We might just need to look to trade in another 2nd or 3rd rounder next off season to make 100% sure we have the points.
They need to redo their math then. We have enough for a pick 4 bid and almost enough to cover a pick 3 bid. ;)
It's probably the biggest assumption of the last few years that Collingwood are going to finish above Daicos' bid position.

There's so many moving parts for this to be certain.

1. Is Daicos (who hasn't played since u/16's and only school football to boot) good enough to be in the top half a half a dozen players in the draft? He might not be this time next year.

2. Is Collingwood not going to drop off a cliff?

They only need one of these scenario's to eventuate for that trade to look pretty ordinary, if both eventuate it's a disaster trade imo. i.e Daicos ends up a second round prospect and Collingwood finish in the bottom 5.

They should have waited to see what pick they had in 2021 and where Daicos shaped before trading it. They could have always traded into R1 of 2022.

They've carried all the risk now, for some late first/second round draftee's.
Did you see what happened to Geelong in the 2020 trade period? If Geelong didn't have their bevvy of 1st rounders, GWS don't match the Jeremy Cameron FA offer and accept the FA compo.

Now if we bring in a RFA/s next year ;);) and have no first rounder, in 2021, is the opposition club likely to try for our 2022 1st rounder only or accept the RFA compo?
Note the 2 x winks :p According to the media speculated salaries, we've just cleared almost $4M off our books with only Grundy getting significant pay increase.
IMHO Collingwood did very well this year but sort of had to to save face for their shocking situation in the trade period.

I have hesitations about clubs going hard this year when I think there will be so many kids who went undrafted this year who would of had great 2020's and will be drafted next year.
I think 2021 will be the best draft we have seen for years and 2020 could have the most busts of any draft for years.
Got 4 kids, we rated in our top 20 and have N.Daicos covered for 2021. We have 2 vacant list spots that we can use in the mid-season draft, to snare any undrafted player from the 2020 draft, who shows a bit in the first half of the year. If we struggle in the first half of the year, that's could be an early mid-season draft pick to 'harvest' a player that we'll keep longer term. Decent chance this type of player could be a 2nd round pick type, but had insufficient exposed form to prove himself.

I like where we are positioned.

Last edited:

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I mean, we have a 22 year old 198cm key forward that kicks 1.5 goals a game, which is more than Naughton, Hipwood, Max King, Oscar Allen, Todd Marshall etc......
Larkey? You think Larkey is better than any of them? Yeah you are a North Melbourne supporter.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
On paper I think Collingwood made out like absolute bandits. If any/all of Henry, Macrae, Poulter and McInness have an impact on their first season - or at least develop as projected - then they are laughing. Especially with Daicos coming in next season.

All those weeks of pain may have been worth it.
Upgrades all round
Phillips McRae
Stephenson Henry
Treleor McInnes and Poulter
Plus we get to play
Tyler brown
Crisp as a mid
Degoey as a mid

And dumped over 2 million
Well done

So glad we got rid of the two prima donners
Dodgy ATTITUDE
Dodgy bodies

Much better list

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Upgrades all round
Phillips McRae
Stephenson Henry
Treleor McInnes and Poulter
Plus we get to play
Tyler brown
Crisp as a mid
Degoey as a mid

And dumped over 2 million
Well done

So glad we got rid of the two prima donners
Dodgy ATTITUDE
Dodgy bodies

Much better list

I assume your last comments are in relation to Stephenson and maybe Treloar? Phillips comes across as a hard working and humble person with great work ethic and character.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I assume your last comments are in relation to Stephenson and maybe Treloar? Phillips comes across as a hard working and humble person with great work ethic and character.
Great club man and work ethic. Unfortunately his downside is his field kicking. He also doesn’t play too well against the better teams. Is still an 18th-22nd for most sides though and adds value.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Great club man and work ethic. Unfortunately his downside is his field kicking. He also doesn’t play too well against the better teams. Is still an 18th-22nd for most sides though and adds value.

IMO slightly harsh on being 18-22.

In your 2018 Grand Final side he was surely ahead of Aish, Greenwood, Varcoe, Thomas, Sier, Cox, WHE and Mayne. Though I acknowledge that Mayne was very good that season.

His kicking can let him down from what I've seen, but what I like is his huge tank and continuous movement. He's in the back pocket one moment and a moment later he's out on the opposite forward flank. We need that constant movement as we have been so boring and stagnant for too long now.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

In your 2018 Grand Final side he was surely ahead of Aish, Greenwood, Varcoe, Thomas, Sier, Cox, WHE and Mayne. Though I acknowledge that Mayne was very good that season.

His kicking can let him down from what I've seen, but what I like is his huge tank and continuous movement. He's in the back pocket one moment and a moment later he's out on the opposite forward flank. We need that constant movement as we have been so boring and stagnant for too long now.
2018 has been his best season to date, even 2019 was good, and best 22 but completely dropped off the map this year and did not deserve a spot in the side towards the end before he was dropped. Daicos had developed well and truly taken his wing spot too.

Did not mean disrespect, and to be in the top 22 for most sides is a compliment. Unfortunately though he’ll never be in your top 5, and has a make or break next 2 seasons at the Hawks because he needs to produce or else he’s simply taking a list spot of a young talent for a side on the rebuild.

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

Teams didn't really pay any attention to him that year. He's a good ball getter but his kicking is atrocious. Doesn't matter about how long you can run if you can't do the simple acts of kicking you aren't that good.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phillips is a good player, the shorter quarters didn’t help him, good snap for goal. His woeful kicking isn’t being exaggerated though, it is very bad and I would say only Ed Langdon is a worse kick of players who regularly play each week. He can also turn it over by hand a lot, just not a skilled player but certainly AFL standard through other strengths.
I would say of those listed players, WHE was better in 2018 given he almost kicked 50 goals but the rest he was ahead of.
Will provide a kick out option through hard running, gets easy out the back goals by outrunning his opponent, can rack up the disposals and usually takes the ball forward not backwards.

I think the club grew tired of its bad kicking skills based on the players we moved on and the players we drafted.

Phillips is a good player, the shorter quarters didn’t help him, good snap for goal. His woeful kicking isn’t being exaggerated though, it is very bad and I would say only Ed Langdon is a worse kick of players who regularly play each week. He can also turn it over by hand a lot, just not a skilled player but certainly AFL standard through other strengths.
I would say of those listed players, WHE was better in 2018 given he almost kicked 50 goals but the rest he was ahead of.
Will provide a kick out option through hard running, gets easy out the back goals by outrunning his opponent, can rack up the disposals and usually takes the ball forward not backwards.

I think the club grew tired of its bad kicking skills based on the players we moved on and the players we drafted.

Collingwood won't Miss Phillips Really

Back