Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus
2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

This is a Pies-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Collingwood are:
- 10th tallest, averaging 188cm
- 4th heaviest, averaging 87kg
- 2nd oldest with an average age of 25 years
- The most experienced, averaging 88 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
2nd round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 35)
3rd round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 53)
4th round pick (tied to Hawthorn - currently pick 62)
4th round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 71)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Last edited:
Eight guys 30 or over and Beams will be 30 before the start of the 2020 season as well. How do you rejuvenate this list with no first round pick and without gutting it, after what is currently looking like a pretty successful season in 2019?

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eight guys 30 or over and Beams will be 30 before the start of the 2020 season as well. How do you rejuvenate this list with no first round pick and without gutting it, after what is currently looking like a pretty successful season in 2019?

We also will have 12 players below the age of 23 at the start of next year (doesn’t include the players we draft this year).

I agree we have to draft well in the coming seasons. However, we are blessed that we have 4 genuine young/middle-aged stars in De Goey, Moore, Grundy and Stephenson which if we retain and build around, we should be okay.

Our lack of a developing KPF is my major concern. However, in 2021, we will be recruiting Nick Daicos he’s meant to be a star. Potential number 1 pick.

Would love us to pick up an outside midfielder.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't open the sheet on the app but my understanding of the players OOC this year are:

Tim Broomhead (UFA)
Ben Crocker
Lynden Dunn (UFA)
Jamie Elliott (UFA)
Tyson Goldsack (UFA)
Levi Greenwood
Max Lynch
Sam Murray (UFA)
John Noble
Ben Reid (UFA)
Brayden Sier
Travis Varcoe
Daniel Wells
Rupert Wills

Jack Madgen is an unknown. Some over on the Collingwood board think he's OOC this year, without any proof, but my understanding is that Cat B rookies tend to get a three year deal from the start, so I'm working under the assumption he's contracted for next year.

It's a bit annoying how the club has slowed to a crawl with re-signings. We saw it at the end of last year too. The only players that were OOC this year that have been announced as having re-signed are Jack Crisp and Tom Phillips. Taylor Adams was reported as having re-signed a couple of months ago but it hasn't been officially announced. Indeed, the club even re-signed Hoskin-Elliott and Maynard (not OOC until 2020) before working on much of the 2019 list.

What we do with a bunch of these players really depends on how many of the senior guys we want to move on. Dunn, Goldsack, Greenwood, Reid, Varcoe and Wells can all feasibly retire at the end of this year, and that instantly creates six vacancies we'd need to fill with not very valuable picks. Dunn, Goldsack and Wells are all in the box seat to retire however.

The club has been impressed with Noble and said at the mid-season draft that they view him as a longer term prospect rather than just a plug-and-play option for this year so he will be kept.

Sier has publically stated he wants to stay but apparently at the time of QBD there had been no movement on a contract.

Lynch is in his third year of being a rookie, so if we want to retain him we need to promote him to the senior list. I hope we do retain him because he's been developing nicely and we need ruck depth.

Murray is almost certainly gone. Watch this space on Broomhead, Crocker and Wills. Their futures would likely be decided by how many of the senior blokes go.

Elliott is a weird one. He no doubt wants the security of a longer term contract but there needs to be a recognition of how fragile his body is, and it would not be prudent to offer him a long-term deal on substantial money. If he cops another significant setback he may well retire.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is a Pies-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Collingwood are:
- 10th tallest, averaging 188cm
- 4th heaviest, averaging 87kg
- 2nd oldest with an average age of 25 years
- The most experienced, averaging 88 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
2nd round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 35)
3rd round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 53)
4th round pick (tied to Hawthorn - currently pick 62)
4th round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 71)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Retire: Goldsack, Reid, Wells
Delisted: Crocker, Wills, Murray, Madgen, Broomhead
Listen to trade offers: Thomas, Scharenberg
Re-Sign: Elliott, Sier, Nobel, Dunn, Greenwood, Adams, Varcoe, Lynch

Main Targets in the drafts/trade period:
1. Key Forward (via draft)
2. Key Defender (Roughead type bargain again if not via draft)
3. Pacey skilled winger (via trade if unable via draft.. Brad Hill dream get but no chance of being able to trade for)

Other targets:
1. small forward (Papley? Hard to see a trade being done for him. Most likely acquire one via draft)
2. inside mid (via draft)

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
We spent 2014-2017 fast tracking players like Langdon, Maynard, Phillips, De Goey etc so we have a pretty experienced younger group coming through. I don't think we need a big rejuvenation of the list, just the normal turnover. I don't think Greenwood, Varcoe and Mayne are going to be that hard to replace down the line but we do need to find a Pendles replacement at some point though.

Not a lot of their over 30s bar Beams are significant to the team though guys like Dunn and Goldsack are borderline best 22 at best, Varcoe has been in and out this year and Wells has been injured so much they've probably learnt to deal without him. Someone like Greenwood is a useful role player but replaceable. So while they don't want to turn them all over in one year I don't think it hurts their team a lot.
They've also got some very good young talent in Stephenson DeGoey Moore (although he is so injury prone) Phillips Brown Daicos and Quaynor they are not that badly off although I don't think bringing Beams back was needed.
I would expect a pretty quiet year for them this year, they would be aware Grundy and DeGoey will get some huge offers next year when they are OOC and they probably want to save $ for that.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Intriguing off-season/trade and draft period looms for the Pies. I think they absolutely need to trade back into this year's draft (Brisbane own their first pick via the Dayne Beams trade)

Seems to me like they have too many good honest solid toilets, who whilst aren't bad players, just don't have that x factor that can win finals.

Reckon Tomlinson from GWS would fit into the Pies nicely, they will also free up some salary cap space with some big names moving on (IE Varcoe, Elliott, possibly Sidebottom) and a couple of retirements.

May have to take a backwards step to go forwards.

Also I am aware they have been savaged by injuries, a new fitness and medical staff probably wouldn't go astray either.

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
Need to land mcasey or another big kpp but don't have a great draft hand..

They have stars in there prime but the youth just isn't that flash.. 4 father on the list yet only one looks afl standard.

Sign Sam day

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our head recruiter simply refuses to go Indigenous talent, most likely due to the go home factor, doesn't seem to stop other Melbourne clubs though.

Best midfield on paper pre season according to champion data, ATM it's bottom 2 IMO, can't win a centre clearance to save their lives even with the best ruck in the comp, one thing the midfield lacks is speed, Treloar had it but plays with his tail between his legs stat padding nowadays, simply refuses to take the game on, the rest are slow.

If we wanted to trade into this draft I'd be trading Treloar, not even concerned what we got for him as long as the suiter picked his contract up.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hine's time might be up, can't remember the last average pick he's had that's turned into a good player, his last 4 drafts have been bog ordinary, yes he's mostly nailed our first rounders but apart from that he's found nothing.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Apparently Sier is worth a 1st round pick Maybe they could salvage something from the ruins that Buckley has created

Need to get rid of all the dead wood on their list who are constantly injured
Broomhead,Elliot,Reid,Wells,Greenwood,Varcoe,Scharenberg,Goldsack,Dunn thats 20% of the list that hardly plays

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hine's time might be up, can't remember the last average pick he's had that's turned into a good player, his last 4 drafts have been bog ordinary, yes he's mostly nailed our first rounders but apart from that he's found nothing.
You are being very reactionary... he’s found Maynard,Mihocek, Phillips, Langdon with later picks. We won a premiership on a list he built with like 8-9 players taken off the rookie list.

Yes we have held onto injury prone players too long, not recruited enough KPP’s and silky types but we did just make a GF.... his third as head of recruiting. He’s one of the best recruiters out there

Lol, if we chase anything it'll be a key back or a speedy mid, need to get those positions filled before going for a KF.

We don't need a Key Back or Speed.

You say we need Speed but You would Trade Treloar
😂

Yep, he still racks up the numbers but he doesn't take the game on anymore, I could live with his iffy disposal when he was breaking lines.

Because he has to play as our Inside Mid as we have no one else

Back