Analysis Collingwoods $1.8 million loss after hit to revenue

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
This is pretty dire. The club has announced a $1.8 million loss this season. I wonder how we plan to turn this one around? I guess bums in stadiums is a start. But attracting members just as important. Difficult after this seasons balls up. Ed is leaving the new President with a big job ahead of him/her.

Mods: I know you're trigger happy on thread merges but please leave this one as a stand alone topic. It deserves its own discussion.

This is pretty dire. The club has announced a $1.8 million loss this season. I wonder how we plan to turn this one around? I guess bums in stadiums is a start. But attracting members just as important. Difficult after this seasons balls up. Ed is leaving the new President with a big job ahead of him/her.

Mods: I know you're trigger happy on thread merges but please leave this one as a stand alone topic. It deserves its own discussion.

To be honest I actually think this isn’t a bad result given the amount of revenue that has gone out of the game. Gives you an idea why they had to stand down and make redundant so many and why they were asking members to stick even as they were offering refunds to anyone who asked. This certainly won’t be the worst financial result among the clubs for the year.

Some clubs might go under because of the virus. We should still survive though will no longer be a financial powerhouse with the supporter base ever diminishing because of our lack of success.

Kind of surprised it wasn't worse. The revenue effects of the pandemic would have to be systemic and hard to avoid.

I think we timed exiting pokies to a nicety though. I would be very interested in what happens with clubs with bigger exposure to that.

We made an operating profit, the loss is due to depreciation probably mostly on the Holden centre. All in all, I doubt many would have done better and there will be a lot of red ink around.

Last edited:
I think at the start of the year the club was hoping to keep it to $5m , so I guess this is a pretty decent result. A huge contribution from all the members who allowed the club to keep their funds too - will be interesting to see how many do the same in 2020 with the continued uncertainty.

Are we just overlooking that the club had an actual operating profit of $1m? The loss only comes in to play with depreciation and amortisation. I think under the circumstances of 2020 that’s a pretty bloody good result. It’s not like we’ve had to go and borrow $1.8m.

Most here wanted us to get out of pokies.

They were closed during lockdown too... but having them run for 4-6 of the last 12 months in Melbourne would’ve alleviated the revenue loss

Money doesn’t matter. What matters most is that we are PC and feel virtuous 😉

I was expecting a worse result. Surprised we actually made money prior to the write downs. They sold the no refund message well during the season largely on the bias of the club’s financial position.

So taking into account this loss, how much money have we got in the coffers?

Edit: Just read the article. We have $8 million in the bank and $43 million in assets. A strong position compared to many other clubs I would say.

I was expecting a worse result. Surprised we actually made money prior to the write downs. They sold the no refund message well during the season largely on the bias of the club’s financial position.

Shows they where Lying a bit about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good result all things considered. Operating profit offset by depreciation and amortisation, is pretty good given the situation. Depreciation costs are not entirely real, and often aren’t realised until years down the track anyway.

That’s a healthy balance sheet in the situation .

Shows they where Lying a bit about it
What did they lie about? If everyone cancelled their memberships then we would have gone in to an operating loss. Is that what you want to happen?

Anyone got figures on the other clubs? Would be good to understand how others fared given the year we’ve had.

A bit everywhere, and misleading.

Both Carlton and Essendon look ok on the top line, but both received large grants for works along with donations to same. Take away those one offs and both lost more like 4 million plus.

StKilda, Geelong, Melbourne haven't reported yet from Victoria.

Anyone got figures on the other clubs? Would be good to understand how others fared given the year we’ve had.

Would imagine WCE would have done way better than everyone else. Members tend to be a bit more loyal when there’s a waiting list to join.

Couldve been a lot worse. The cash movement isnt great - but expected with COVID. & plenty of other clubs will be going to the AFL for assistance, to keep the existing teams format & competition as we know it alive.

The bigger issue for me is the number of memberships. We have stagnated over the past 10 years, whilst Richmond have now surpassed us by 25k... as well as West Coast. We're in line with Hawthorn. & we will likely go backwards next year, after the recent debacles at our club. Now you can quote Premiership success helping others, but we're supposed to be the biggest sporting club in the land.... only we're not anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back