BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I am not trying to get into a debate about Collingwoods current development but I am interested to compare how Collingwood is being treated by the media versus how our club was haunted by the media. I don't see the usual commentators from Seven, Nine, Sen or Fox putting the boots into Collingwood. I am not seeing any derogative "made up thoughts" about what the club is doing. Yet the AFC had so much crap being dreamed up about how it managed "the Camp".

And what about the covid infringement the AFC had at the beginning of the season. It was really a very minor infringement especially when compared to how other clubs stuffed up. The media got stuck in to us and wanted us to lose points but they never suggested that the other clubs who players broke the rules lose points. Imagine Richmond losing points. Never.

We certainly are treated as the worse club in the AFL yet others act and behave in a manner that makes us look tame.

I will be interested to see the media's input into what a terrible club the Magies must be. At least it takes the negative focus away from us.

I am not trying to get into a debate about Collingwoods current development but I am interested to compare how Collingwood is being treated by the media versus how our club was haunted by the media. I don't see the usual commentators from Seven, Nine, Sen or Fox putting the boots into Collingwood. I am not seeing any derogative "made up thoughts" about what the club is doing. Yet the AFC had so much crap being dreamed up about how it managed "the Camp".

And what about the covid infringement the AFC had at the beginning of the season. It was really a very minor infringement especially when compared to how other clubs stuffed up. The media got stuck in to us and wanted us to lose points but they never suggested that the other clubs who players broke the rules lose points. Imagine Richmond losing points. Never.

We certainly are treated as the worse club in the AFL yet others act and behave in a manner that makes us look tame.

I will be interested to see the media's input into what a terrible club the Magies must be. At least it takes the negative focus away from us.
You expect too much

You expect too much
I am realistic as I know thats the way it works especially when the Vic Media is involved however I think that we should have a expectation that there is a level playing field. It may not happen in my life time but I think we should have a high expectation because if we dont things will never change. Frustrating..yes but accepting is not an option.

The difference between the reporting of our covid breach and the others is that grey ran the angle that we deliberately defied an AFL covid ruling designed to keep the competition even. The other breaches all related the AFL rules designed to keep the competition covid free. They went way over the top, but there should always have been a significant difference. The accusation from Caro et al was that we'd been caught cheating, the rest is just about player behaviour. Apples and oranges.

The difference between the reporting of our covid breach and the others is that grey ran the angle that we deliberately defied an AFL covid ruling designed to keep the competition even. The other breaches all related the AFL rules designed to keep the competition covid free. They went way over the top, but there should always have been a significant difference. The accusation from Caro et al was that we'd been caught cheating, the rest is just about player behaviour. Apples and oranges.
Cant argue. It was Caro who really pissed me off. No one really believes that the club was intentionally cheating but she tried to make us out as cheats. She certainly has s**t on her liver when it comes to the Crows. Apparently we also have a bad culture when it comes to drinking and drugs. I dont believe that its part of our culture instead its just some boys who just want to be boys. No different to any other club.

I know they had the one grand final but things took a poor turn since their ridiculous orchestrated Malthouse/Buckley handover. Outsmarted themselves there.

Have since been overtaken as a 'big club' by Hawthorn and Richmond

Collingwood are lucky that Essendon and especially Carlton have been even more inept than they've been

I know they had the one grand final but things took a poor turn since their ridiculous orchestrated Malthouse/Buckley handover. Outsmarted themselves there.

Collingwood are lucky that Essendon and especially Carlton have been even more inept than they've been

I reckon you could write a PhD thesis on the similarities in management over the last 20 years between Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Adelaide

they were on the verge of a dynasty, and the problem with all empires and dynastic opportunities - lots of people think they are uniquely responsible

like a sister shagging, horse loving emperor, Eddie et al, thought they could control the elements and the world would not only bend to them but it would do so in any way that pleased them

the hubris so great the story should be captured in Latin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you could write a PhD thesis on the similarities in management over the last 20 years between Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Adelaide
Those 4 have a lot in common. All four manage to underachieve despite being well resourced. All four have experienced recent scandals that have dragged their brands through the mud. Essendon are the worst imo. Their doping program outclasses the other scandals.

I live in Melbs are the pies are getting thoroughly ********* by the media, have all through the trade period and ramped up again now. Well deserved mind you, staggering watching Ed try to spin the unspinnable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain to me in really easy to understand language how it is....

That the players of the Collingwood football club can say " As athletes, we are sorry to anyone who, through their association with our club, has been marginalised, hurt or discriminated against due to their race, Through our silence we feel responsible for these injustices."

Yet...they were the ones who called Harry O'brien "Chimp"

But the media go "Eddie bad, player good"

They were the ******* one's name-calling, what planet am I living in that the people who perpetuate the name-calling get such a free pass?

That the players of the Collingwood football club can say " As athletes, we are sorry to anyone who, through their association with our club, has been marginalised, hurt or discriminated against due to their race, Through our silence we feel responsible for these injustices."

They were the ******* one's name-calling, what planet am I living in that the people who perpetuate the name-calling get such a free pass?

abso-*******-lutely

too many hide behind accusations of institutional failings (whether true or not) to excuse what they themselves personally believe or have done

it’s like a priest just blaming the church and not himself

Last edited:
abso-*******-lutely

too many hide behind accusations of institutional failings (whether true or not) to excuse what they themselves personally believe or have done

it’s like a priest just blaming the church and not himself

Burton in that infamous press conference kept saying "we" and "us as a football department" in regards to the camp disaster.

Burton in that infamous press conference kept saying "we" and "us as a football department" in regards to the camp disaster.

ah, yes good spot.

our toxic corporate culture made him do all those bad things. The camp was a by-product of the effect our culture had on him

not even Jenny at her Trigg defending, sycophantic best could better that excuse

come back Brett, all is forgiven!

And by signing that on behalf of all football and netball players and staff they dragged people in who had absolutely nothing to do with it. Hiding behind th collective.

The club is rotten.

So there were actual players calling him "chimp". Jesus christ that's f’ed up. I had assumed Lumumba's issues were with people higher up the chain.
It's a real concern there are so many people out there that don't have a problem with it. Even this morning on AA I heard a caller say "But we call full forwards and full backs gorillas, what's the problem"

Good interview with Lumumba here. He does state that he feels the systemic racism was an issue created by the club's leaders. He says here that instances of racist comments from other players were merely a symptom of a culture of systemic racism coming from club leadership.

"It's strange that young players — who are not responsible for the administration and culture of the club — have issued an unconditional statement acknowledging harm when the management and leadership of the club have yet to do so," Lumumba tweeted.

"'All staff and players' surely includes black players and staff, as well as players and staff of colour. Why should they be apologising for racism?"

"Unfortunately, this feels like the club using the genuine sentiment of some players and staff as a tool for damage control. This explains the lukewarm public response to the letter," he said.

Last edited:
Further to that point, people have said to me "But you're short, I bet you don't go crying to the boss if someone calls you a midget"

First of all, it does hurt and if I did something about it I'd be consistently going to HR, but it totally missed the point.

The point is abusing someone for something they have no control over is wrong.

Further to that point, people have said to me "But you're short, I bet you don't go crying to the boss if someone calls you a midget"

First of all, it does hurt and if I did something about it I'd be consistently going to HR, but it totally missed the point.

The point is abusing someone for something they have no control over is wrong.

I bet you got sent to HR for telling a female co-worker that her hair smelt lovely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back