News Collingwood's Culture

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I get what you are trying to say here, and there are elements that are of course true.

BUT, when you say something like this "he played up to the crowd, and didn’t like it when he bit off more than he could chew. Decided to call it racist, because it suited him", it clearly shows that you don't actually understand what happened.

Goodes was called an APE by a crowd member. Probably not for the first time. He instinctively reacted and pointed to who it was. Did he know it was a young person at the time? No. He pointed it out because he'd had enough.

The fact you think he played the racist card, despite dealing with years of abuse, undoes every single thing you have written. He didn't pick and choose here. He called out racism and copped enormous backlash because of it. Any other interpretation is fanciful and used to protect racist behaviour.

oh c'mon.

Adam Goodes ‘gutted’ after 13-year-old girl’s racial slur, who called the Sydney champion today to apologise | Herald Sun

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
you’re funny guy:rolleyes:

Choosing to attempt to insult me rather than addressing the subject - classy. Perhaps because you know that your claim that Goodes abused the girl is bullshit. Got any good theories about plandemics or 5G?

when I talk about the less intellectually able hiding behind tropes written in crayon, please know you are certainly not excluded from that characterisation

I mean, like, the one thing that Eddie was right about: commissioning an independent inquiry, resulting in a report and releasing it was something they didnt need to do and commendable to that limited extent (whilst what it revealed was not). Should all clubs be required to do it now?

Why do we feel superior? We haven't put ourselves through that level of scrutiny about any of our misdoings over the years. Do we really think we are unlikely to turn up any basis for criticism given the last decade or two?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
FB_IMG_1612908240763.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mean, like, the one thing that Eddie was right about: commissioning an independent inquiry, resulting in a report and releasing it was something they didnt need to do and commendable to that limited extent (whilst what it revealed was not). Should all clubs be required to do it now?

Why do we feel superior? We haven't put ourselves through that level of scrutiny about any of our misdoings over the years. Do we really think we are unlikely to turn up any basis for criticism given the last decade or two?

completely agree. Poor choice of words but in some ways it was a proud day for the Collingwood footy club

they had the biggest problems and chose to lead the way to doing something about it

now, you don’t want to give them too much credit for the problems they already had and caused, but they at least got on the front foot to try to do something about it

as I said earlier, watch the other 17 clubs rapidly rewrite all their policies and procedures and pretend they were always like that

I don't know about you, but the "my worst trait is" part really caught my eye. More than the confirmation of the nickname.

A young lad scared of disappointing anyone (which, whilst not the only reason people find it hard to say no, is a rather common cause of it and does support what Lumumba has said after the fact) is going to be pretty quick to reflect how toxic an environment is.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't know about you, but the "my worst trait is" part really caught my eye. More than the confirmation of the nickname.

A young lad scared of disappointing anyone (which, whilst not the only reason people find it hard to say no, is a rather common cause of it and does support what Lumumba has said after the fact) is going to be pretty quick to reflect how toxic an environment is.

If I were an animal...
I’d be a chimpanzee 🙈🤯🤯🤯

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

They didn't release it. It was leaked. Only then did the club respond to it, with their horrible press conference last week.

The club was pretty much forced into commissioning the report, after Lumumba threatened to sue the pants off the club. The report was delivered last December. They obviously didn't like what they read, or at the very least didn't find it edifying, because they sat on it for 3 months. They took no action whatsoever until someone leaked the report last week.

Presumably the leak came from someone who was disgusted at the club's lack of action on the report. They gave the club 3 months to respond, or release it, before finally taking unilateral action after the club continued to keep it hidden for so long.

Are the AFC without blame? Almost certainly not. However, Collingwood have been the clear clubhouse leader for racist fans, leadership, and general failures. There really is no comparison between the two.

Last edited:
They didn't release it. It was leaked. Only then did the club respond to it, with their horrible press conference last week.

The club was pretty much forced into commissioning the report, after Lumumba threatened to sue the pants off the club. The report was delivered last December. They obviously didn't like what they read, or at the very least didn't find it edifying, because they sat on it for 3 months. They took no action whatsoever until someone leaked the report last week.

Presumably the leak came from someone who was disgusted at the club's lack of action on the report. They gave the club 3 months to respond, or release it, before finally taking unilateral action after the club continued to keep it hidden for so long.

Are the AFC without blame? Almost certainly not. However, Collingwood have been the clear clubhouse leader for racist fans, leadership, and general failures. There really is no comparison between the two.
AFL may not be to blame specifically about the culture at Collingwood... but they have not been genuine about dealing with it either. They would have some understanding what was going on, but would be more interested in keeping in quiet than resolving the issues.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
AFL may not be to blame specifically about the culture at Collingwood... but they have not been genuine about dealing with it either. They would have some understanding what was going on, but would be more interested in keeping in quiet than resolving the issues.
Expecting the AFL to be genuine about anything is asking waaaay too much. The AFL exists to spin its way through every controversial issue.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
others may have a clearer memory of this event, but I recall we lost Matt Rendell when his comments about indigenous lads from the lands were taken out of context and Demetriou essentially forced Trigg to sack him. Yet the same Demtriou was more than ok for Collingwood to snap Rendell up.

The point I am making here is that we copped a huge hit from the AFL for perceived racism of one of our staff - yet the very same AFL were more than comfortable to allow the same person to walk over to Collingwood. So it felt like the AFL were not applying their standards at all equally which - as usual - was to the detriment of the interstate club and to the benefit of the Vic club

Collingwood were also none to bothered about taking on a person who had been involved in such an incident (although I believe he was taken out of context with what he said and was in no way intending to cast a racial slur) and maybe that is just a small mosaic of their clubs approach to this much wider malaise they have

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
others may have a clearer memory of this event, but I recall we lost Matt Rendell when his comments about indigenous lads from the lands were taken out of context and Demetriou essentially forced Trigg to sack him. Yet the same Demtriou was more than ok for Collingwood to snap Rendell up.

The point I am making here is that we copped a huge hit from the AFL for perceived racism of one of our staff - yet the very same AFL were more than comfortable to allow the same person to walk over to Collingwood. So it felt like the AFL were not applying their standards at all equally which - as usual - was to the detriment of the interstate club and to the benefit of the Vic club

Collingwood were also none to bothered about taking on a person who had been involved in such an incident (although I believe he was taken out of context with what he said and was in no way intending to cast a racial slur) and maybe that is just a small mosaic of their clubs approach to this much wider malaise they have
The AFL are always happy to stamp Out ants whilst the elephants thunder past.

Compare Willie Rioli and drug testing vs Essendon.

it‘s all about the brand, and revenue.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Yeah there's a fair bit to unpack there

First of all imagine this being published now? We're only talking about 12 or so years ago that this went to print. No one batted an eyelid at the time, neither the Footy Record or anyone who read it. Now it would cause an absolute furore. That's some progress I suppose.

I wonder where the nickname originated from? Was Harry ok with it initially? Why did he have that as his spirit animal? Or did the nickname get lumped on him and he went along with it? The My worst trait... that you mentioned (saying no to people) caught my eye as well.

Later he became more culturally aware, changed his name back to his original name (2013), perhaps the significance of the nickname hit home with him. Maybe someone spoke to him about it when he was going through this process and reclaiming his heritage.

Did he raise these concerns with Collingwood? Team mates might have called him that for years unaware that it was a problem. Judging by the report I doubt any concerns would have been acted upon. Even if the nickname started 'innocently,' at some point he became not ok with it. What happened then? Nothing I guess.

Yeah there's a fair bit to unpack there

First of all imagine this being published now? We're only talking about 12 or so years ago that this went to print. No one batted an eyelid at the time, neither the Footy Record or anyone who read it. Now it would cause an absolute furore. That's some progress I suppose.

I wonder where the nickname originated from? Was Harry ok with it initially? Why did he have that as his spirit animal? Or did the nickname get lumped on him and he went along with it? The My worst trait... that you mentioned (saying no to people) caught my eye as well.

Later he became more culturally aware, changed his name back to his original name (2013), perhaps the significance of the nickname hit home with him. Maybe someone spoke to him about it when he was going through this process and reclaiming his heritage.

Did he raise these concerns with Collingwood? Team mates might have called him that for years unaware that it was a problem. Judging by the report I doubt any concerns would have been acted upon. Even if the nickname started 'innocently,' at some point he became not ok with it. What happened then? Nothing I guess.

Not only it being published, but having such a shallow piece twelve years ago foreshadowing a report that would prevent the retirement of the clubs rather popular chairman. It definitely is some progress, at least, as that would definitely raise red flags in 2020.

It does leave me wondering about the worst case scenario, if "chimp" was Harrys choice to control the narrative and avoiding a worse fate, as an act of appeasement to fit in. I don't buy the idea that Harry walked into the club and spent the first week sprouting off chimp facts to get that nickname, which is the only "innocent" way I could imagine someone could end up with that name. I do think you have to take Harry at face value where he was ok with it early in his career, wisened up about it and realised having such a nickname was more destructive than positive, and Collingwood ignored those claims.

After all, does this report go anywhere if it's found out that Harry didn't make a complaint at some point?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely what they would be thinking, if the new guy doesn't hold firm on the black and white are our colours the fans will come for him
the new guy

Nekminit, 9.00am Thursday morning press meeting at Collingwood headquarters where they announce their new guy to take over from Eddie - Joffa. Collingwood to also announce all away games their new strip will be a gold jacket (but only when they are winning)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Absolutely what they would be thinking, if the new guy doesn't hold firm on the black and white are our colours the fans will come for him
I don't think they'll care too much after a little while.

There's nothing clear about the sweeping conclusions that you conclude with at all.

The AFC has been the subject of allegations, and has not commissioned an inquiry of the same scope that has been made public. Should we not?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The AFC has been the subject of allegations, and has not commissioned an inquiry of the same scope that has been made public. Should we not?
To quote Sir Humphrey:

You can't check up on everything! You never know what you might find!

Back