News Collingwood's Culture

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

The report has been released, I’ve even copied the link in this thread.

how many people, so certain of what it is says have even bothered to read it?

some of the biggest mouths clearly haven’t but who actually has read it

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The club was pretty much forced into commissioning the report, after Lumumba threatened to sue the pants off the club.

that doesn’t even make sense. The report is no defence to any legal allegations

further it was commissioned in June 2020, and Lumumba launched legal action in October 2020

There is so much stuff, factually, that Collingwood have done wrong. There is no need to make up a stick to beat them with

The report was delivered last December. They obviously didn't like what they read, or at the very least didn't find it edifying, because they sat on it for 3 months.

Maths not your strong suit huh? They supposedly received it on December 17th

it was leaked on 31st January. Hardly 3 months, and with Christmas, and all the other stuff going on in the world, I’d not have expected it much sooner

if they did anything in December, they’d be accused of burying it

and frankly, I think it entirely proper that they took a few weeks to digest and consider how to respond thoughtfully.

As I’ve said, they always promised to make public the report. That’s not even in doubt.

Presumably the leak came from someone who was disgusted at the club's lack of action on the report. They gave the club 3 months to respond, or release it, before finally taking unilateral action after the club continued to keep it hidden for so long.

why the persistent need to invent fictional narratives, events and motivations?

you literally made up this up.

anything interesting you might have to offer gets washed away in your poetic distance from reality.

Are the AFC without blame? Almost certainly not. However, Collingwood have been the clear clubhouse leader for racist fans, leadership, and general failures. There really is no comparison between the two.

After waiting so long, it was great when the Club finally told its side of the story wasn’t it?

or when the club published the report not commissioned last year, and not just edited highlights?

oh wait...

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

The report has been released, I’ve even copied the link in this thread.

how many people, so certain of what it is says have even bothered to read it?

some of the biggest mouths clearly haven’t but who actually has read it
Recommendation 9 is interesting. So gonna have quotas on their playing list?

will we see an indigenous coach?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Demetriou has some interesting views here

obviously he’s right in that the report itself is not of high quality, too woolly and lacking any real detail and substance

but he’s wrong to question it’s legitimacy, it’s a first step.

it is the beginning of a much wider, league wide process of understanding, reflection and remediation

better, more substantive investigations and analysis will follow, but those reports will need an ice breaker

the fact of the matter is that the detail and quality of the report is not what matters. What matters is that the report exists, was commissioned and lays the path for bigger change.

it is the start of the beginning, not the end or even the middle

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
that’s a bit of a stretch. they only talk about valuing diversity, which is a bit fluffy
Did you read the body of the report, or just the recommendation? This paragraph is pretty clear to me:

An employment strategy is currently being developed but it needs to be given high priority by the Board. The strategy must emphasise the importance of diversity within the Club and set goals or KPIs so progress is measured. In addition to diversity in Board membership and administrative staff, consideration needs to be given to diversity amongst the players group and on the coaching staff.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did you read the body of the report, or just the recommendation? This paragraph is pretty clear to me:

An employment strategy is currently being developed but it needs to be given high priority by the Board. The strategy must emphasise the importance of diversity within the Club and set goals or KPIs so progress is measured. In addition to diversity in Board membership and administrative staff, consideration needs to be given to diversity amongst the players group and on the coaching staff.

and that changes what I said how?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
“set goals or KPIs so progress is measured”

and?

they’ll be looking to measure progress of their consideration will they?

progress for unspecified targets, over unspecified times, that do not even have a definition beyond appreciation of benefits of diversity

that’s just boilerplate verbiage, cut paste stuff.

you’ve tried to interpret meaning into it that just isn’t there.

look at what is actually said:

“develop a strategy” mmm... strategy.

“KPI’s to measure progress” mmm... KPI’s

“Consideration” mmm... consideration. Best not go too fast

as I said, the main benefit of the report is that it exists. It’s an important first step

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
This episode highlights the difference between out and out racism that anyone can identify and the more insidious slippery slope dog whistle "things have always been this way" attitudes and behaviors that have become so ingrained into society over the years that most people - apart from those being discriminated against - don't notice.

McGuire denies the former but he and his club have been proponents and defenders of the casual racism of the latter. He still can't see the difference.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
and?

they’ll be looking to measure progress of their consideration will they?

progress for unspecified targets, over unspecified times, that do not even have a definition beyond appreciation of benefits of diversity

that’s just boilerplate verbiage, cut paste stuff.

you’ve tried to interpret meaning into it that just isn’t there.

look at what is actually said:

“develop a strategy” mmm... strategy.

“KPI’s to measure progress” mmm... KPI’s

“Consideration” mmm... consideration. Best not go too fast

as I said, the main benefit of the report is that it exists. It’s an important first step
I don’t think it’s “a bit of a stretch” to conclude from all that that there could exist quotas or KPIs around diversity in hard number form. Especially considering they don’t have a single indigenous player nor coach in their squad (granted I don’t know much about their 2020 draftees)

If we did an audit of all our off-field staff (football and non-football) including board members, how would we stack up for diversity?

90% friends and family members of Rob Chapman and/or Mark Ricciuto
10% other ex Adelaide Crows players

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
If we did an audit of all our off-field staff (football and non-football) including board members, how would we stack up for diversity?
Plenty of women, very few indigenous I would think.

Certainly an area we could improve

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well, what's your target diversity score, and how do you calculate it first?

I am sure some of them are old, and there is significant variation in eye colour. There might be women.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t think it’s “a bit of a stretch” to conclude from all that that there could exist quotas or KPIs around diversity in hard number form. Especially considering they don’t have a single indigenous player nor coach in their squad (granted I don’t know much about their 2020 draftees)

I don’t have much trouble imagining you believe all sorts of stuff

but seeing as you think diversity is a term with clear meaning, then the sky is the limit

anyway, you read something that wasn’t there and now you’re arguing afraid you’ll look dumb if you concede

too late, and I’m bored teaching you the basic concepts of your own argument

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t have much trouble imagining you believe all sorts of stuff

but seeing as you think diversity is a term with clear meaning, then the sky is the limit

anyway, you read something that wasn’t there and now you’re arguing afraid you’ll look dumb if you concede

too late, and I’m bored teaching you the basic concepts of your own argument
It was in a report regarding racism issues in the Collingwood Football Club. I'm going to take a stab in thinking that diversity in that context, refers to diversity in race.

But you take the W. Consider it my gift to you.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back