Toast Collingwood's greatest 25 players (Michael Roberts - HS today)

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
not a bad list. I'd have daicos above bucks buts it's understandable having bucks higher than daicos.

Buckley is probably the most consistent player we'd ever seen and probably responsible for the ultra professionalism we see in today's footballer. He was able to play in Any position bar ruck and did well when required to do so. Was one of the nicest kicks we've seen at Collingwood and a brilliant player who got as much out of himself as he possibly could. Buckets never left anything on the table.

Daicos, and let's not kids ourselves injuries curtiailed him, was and out and marvel. Had every every attribute required and had genuine X factor and a unparalleled skill set, was a gun midfielder and, with a shot body, became a goal scoring machine. Made the impossible a possibility almost every week and left us bewildered with some of his miraculous feats. Still my number 1 footballer I've sever seen. Bucks only a hair or 2 away.

The most interesting choice I found was pendles ahead of swanny... don't agree with this. Swanny,imo, was a better footballer than pendles. Both the complete opposite of eachother, but club greats, but I'd take Sean to over pendles. I still think swanky was more damaging. Pendles, like bucks, does all things in he background to extract all his ability, whereas swanny, was just a talented footballer who could play and had fun doing it. Swanny should have also had 2 brownlows, not 1.
Buckley was a true superstar of the game.
Indisputable for mine.
And best long passing I've seen.
Just a consistent super star.

Pendlebury v Swan, a great discussion, but Pendlebury to me a better player and overall more top line years

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Buckley was a true superstar of the game.
Indisputable for mine.
And best long passing I've seen.
Just a consistent super star.

Pendlebury v Swan, a great discussion, but Pendlebury to me a better player and overall more top line years

I'll take Swanny anyday over Pendles, they complimented each other well though

WakeUpPies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Despite recent years ... Will still never forget how great Buckley was as a player. Seeing him leading us out against Sydney after a horrid run with hamstring injuries will always be one of my favourite memories.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree. Carman best I've ever seen.

But fell short of required games played on Michael Roberts criteria
Fab Phil super GUN.
SUPER SUPER FIT, Neil Craig once told a story how he was lapped at preseason training by Philat Norwood,freaked him out, was the fittest bloke at Collingwood by a long long way.
On a side note how SOFT is our team compared to those legends
Brown,Coventry,collier,Tuddy,millane, shaw, rose
I'd back em every time
Current lot no chance
THOSE GUYS wouldn't stand for this.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fab Phil super GUN.
SUPER SUPER FIT, Neil Craig once told a story how he was lapped at preseason training by Philat Norwood,freaked him out, was the fittest bloke at Collingwood by a long long way.
On a side note how SOFT is our team compared to those legends
Brown,Coventry,collier,Tuddy,millane, shaw, rose
I'd back em every time
Current lot no chance
THOSE GUYS wouldn't stand for this.

I hear you mate. I forget who was the Hawthorn coach when Dermie made his famous "Line in the Sand" speech (might have been Schwab or Connolly) but Derm basically challenged the then soft hawks to fight for their playing lives. Our great leaders of the past should be coming out doing that now. Seeing Tuddy and Weed looking like garden gnomes in plastic ponchos on Saturday while the boys went out and played so insipidly...it must have made their blood boil.

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
In order, the best pies I have seen are
1 Daicos
2 Thommo
3 Buckley
I have often wondered how good Rose was, as I find it hard to imagine a better mid sized player than Peter Daicos.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
In order, the best pies I have seen are
1 Daicos
2 Thommo
3 Buckley
I have often wondered how good Rose was, as I find it hard to imagine a better mid sized player than Peter Daicos.

Bobby Rose was a prettier version of Lethal....that's how he played. He wasn't scared of anyone and he was better than everyone he played against.

gene clark

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
And Greening played more than 100 games so he SHOULD be there
This.

This bloke would have been one of the best players ever. Fast, an amazing high mark, could kick bags and an unbelievable ball winner. He was already absolutely great and his career being largely ended by 21 years of age by that St Kilda dog is one of the travesties and tragedies of the game. One of my older Collingwood supporting relatives reckons losing him cost us probably 3-4 premierships in the 70's and early 80's and looking at his form line in 1972 before he was felled it is hard to argue with that.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
This.

This bloke would have been one of the best players ever. Fast, an amazing high mark, could kick bags and an unbelievable ball winner. He was already absolutely great and his career being largely ended by 21 years of age by that St Kilda dog is one of the travesties and tragedies of the game. One of my older Collingwood supporting relatives reckons losing him cost us probably 3-4 premierships in the 70's and early 80's and looking at his form line in 1972 before he was felled it is hard to argue with that.

Your Relo wasn't joking mate. Johnny Greening was an absolute GUN and to be cut down like he was before he got his chance to captain the club, win premierships and Brownlow's it was a travesty. Jimmy O'Dea must still have nightmares (least I hope he does)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best Collingwood 70s onwards, for me anyway

B. D Tuddenham ~ G Pert ~ A Shaw

HB. J Greening ~ B Reid ~ W Picken

C. G Brown ~ N Buckley (c) ~ D Millane

HF. P Carman ~ D Cloke ~ W Richardson

F. P Daicos ~ P McKenna ~ P Moore

R. L Thompson ~ S Pendlebury ~ D Swan

I. G Raines ~ B Price ~ S Burns ~ A Didak

C. L Matthews

Bah, can't see many of those on the list making their way into the current star studded line up we have.

Obviously with the old timers, you can only appreciate going via black and white vision and stats on how good they were, but out of the players I have seen I might sneak in Daicos and Buckley, as long as he isn't player coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bah, can't see many of those on the list making their way into the current star studded line up we have.

Obviously with the old timers, you can only appreciate going via black and white vision and stats on how good they were, but out of the players I have seen I might sneak in Daicos and Buckley, as long as he isn't player coach.

I actually only ever comment on the players I've seen personally.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I actually only ever comment on the players I've seen personally.
I just can't help going back into the distant past, look at their records, look at the old articles etc
And project them to today.

A lot of fun.

I do it even more with race horses eg Carbine ran in the late 1880s and early 1890s and as great a horse as has ever been in our history.

A lot of fun

Between 1906 and 1922, during what was then a Victorian Football League record seventeen consecutive seasons, Lee played 230 V.F.L. games for Collingwood and kicked 713 goals. He headed the V.F.L. goal-kicking ladder eight times (1907-10, 1914, 1916-17, 1919) and tied for the lead twice (1915, 1921)—a record which has not been challenged. Lee was players' representative for nine years (1909-12, 1915-19), vice-captain twice (1910-11) and captain twice (1920-21). He played in three premiership teams (1910, 1917, 1919) and after retirement as a player served Collingwood for an additional sixteen years as vice-president (1923-34, 1950-53). Injuries seriously hindered his playing career.

Lee twice (1910, 1915) won the greatest distinction bestowed on footballers in his day, Champion Player of the Colony. He could star in defence or on the ball as well as at full-forward and he was one of the truly great high marks, arguably the equal of Roy Cazaly. Lee's marking has been described as 'freakish' and photographs of him taking the ball high over other players have been reproduced countless times. He was also a great kick, extremely adept with drop-kick or punt but especially proficient in the place-kick. According to Harry Collier (captain of Collingwood 1935-39) Lee could place-kick a goal from the boundary line without seeing daylight between the goalposts—even at a rival ground with kids throwing oranges trying to knock the ball over!

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/lee-walter-henry-dick-7152
Lee ahead of Coventry is controversial especially given the latters standing in the game, but it's not necessarily something I disagree with. Lee's career is even more remarkable when you consider how much footy he missed, basically the seasons where he didn't lead the league goal kicking he was injured. Without injury he could have played 300 games and kicked 1000 goals and there's no doubt he'd been more highly spoken about had he reached those figures.

EDIT: He missed 72 games throughout his career and another 13 due to shortened seasons in the war years. Here's what he played in those part seasons: 1912 - 1 game; 1913 - 5 games; 1918 - 7 games; 1920 - 10 games; 1922 - 14 games (but well behind the leading goal kicker who snagged 18 more goals from just 2 more matches).

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lee ahead of Coventry is controversial especially given the latters standing in the game, but it's not necessarily something I disagree with. Lee's career is even more remarkable when you consider how much footy he missed, basically the seasons where he didn't lead the league goal kicking he was injured. Without injury he could have played 300 games and kicked 1000 goals and there's no doubt he'd been more highly spoken about had he reached those figures.

EDIT: He missed 72 games throughout his career and another 13 due to shortened seasons in the war years. Here's what he played in those part seasons: 1912 - 1 game; 1913 - 5 games; 1918 - 7 games; 1920 - 10 games; 1922 - 14 games (but well behind the leading goal kicker who snagged 18 more goals from just 2 more matches).

Yeah good point the other point is he is referenced to star in defence and onball. So how many games did he play away from the forward line?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone else think Sav Rocca is underrated? 14th on the list of all time goals, not sure he makes it to the 25 but must be close
Probably a tad, but just not at our top liners level.
He doesn't get in their pantheon.

Lee, Coventry, Todd, McKenna he just doesn't come close to that class, in my view.

A really good player but just not great.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Fantastic point.

If he got to 1000 he would still be revered.

As it is, he must become a legend one day of the AFL.

(Albert Thurgood of Essendon is another early player much forgotten, basically the Wayne Carey as a player of his time. I always hope the AFL keeps giving "life" to the old time greats.)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood 125 years

All Collingwood

B. S Coventry (c) ~ J Regan ~ D Tuddenham

HB. F Leach ~ A Collier ~ S Pendlebury

C. R Condon ~ N Buckley ~ D Fothergill

HF. E Rowell ~ R Todd ~ P Daicos

F. W H Lee ~ G Coventry ~ P McKenna

R. L Thompson ~ R Rose ~ H Collier

I. A Kyne ~ P Carman ~ D Swan ~ T Merrett

C. J McHale

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Michael Roberts has done a stellar job here.

The top 20 are 100% correct, I can't think of anyone I could swap out, or in to that top 20. After that it becomes a debate about many players, both recent and pre WW2, who could slide into those final 5 positions.

Hope this link isn't paywalled for most;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sp...s/news-story/26abcc812c88d290851697ea083675dc

If it is, here's the top 25;

1. Bob Rose
2. Nathan Buckley
3. Syd Coventry
4. Albert Collier
5. Harry Collier
6. Dick Lee
7. Peter Daicos
8. Gordon Coventry
9. Len Thompson
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Des Fothergill
12. Dane Swan
13. Phonse Kyne
14. Jack Regan
15. Wayne Richardson
16. Gavin Brown
17. Murray Weideman
18. Bill Picken
19. Tony Shaw
20. Peter Mckenna
21. Des Tuddenham
22. Peter Moore
23. Thorold Merrett
24. Darren Millane
25. Dick Condon

Discuss, pick apart, or just enjoy.

You can find fault in everyone, Picken couldnt kick, Shaw couldnt kick over a jam tin, only came good under Matthews, before that he was a decent player in some weak teams.

Buckley does not deserve to be in top ten ....... no premierships, would have Daicos higher.

If McKenna is in there and he should be, Barry Price should be as well, McKenna should be higher.

A lot of those players no one alive now actually saw them play or if they did they would have been very young.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can find fault in everyone, Picken couldnt kick, Shaw couldnt kick over a jam tin, only came good under Matthews, before that he was a decent player in some weak teams.

Buckley does not deserve to be in top ten ....... no premierships, would have Daicos higher.

If McKenna is in there and he should be, Barry Price should be as well, McKenna should be higher.

A lot of those players no one alive now actually saw them play or if they did they would have been very young.
Nathan Buckley not in top ten?

Sorry, just can't understand the logic there? Nearly won us a premiership off his play, 2002, what a game.
Forget that, but flags help CVs but I'm certain Bob Skilton, Haydn Bunton are not lesser players with only one final game between them.

Buckley and high level elite consistent play was standard. As good a long passer as you would see. True kick.
Mesmerising player.

Personally, I think Buckley is under rated overall, if he played for anyone else he'd be higher up the pecking order.
I've long felt Collingwood players have to do that bit more to get the recognition.

Eg: how a very good player Steve Silvagni was rated best full back of the century over Jack Regan was bizzaro world. Silvagni wasn't even better than Geoff Southby at Carlton. But anyway.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Umpires

Best umpire ever?

Lardie Tulloch!

Our premiership captain and coach (as it was those days) then went on and umpired a Grand Final (Carlton v South Melbourne on memory).

Second best umpire?

Alex Mutch, played in two flags for us 1917 and 1919 then went on to umpire a Grand Final! (1923)
Really good player, debuted in same match as an all time great of ours in Dan Minogue.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nathan Buckley not in top ten?

Sorry, just can't understand the logic there? Nearly won us a premiership off his play, 2002, what a game.
Forget that, but flags help CVs but I'm certain Bob Skilton, Haydn Bunton are not lesser players with only one final game between them.

Buckley and high level elite consistent play was standard. As good a long passer as you would see. True kick.
Mesmerising player.

Personally, I think Buckley is under rated overall, if he played for anyone else he'd be higher up the pecking order.
I've long felt Collingwood players have to do that bit more to get the recognition.

Eg: how a very good player Steve Silvagni was rated best full back of the century over Jack Regan was bizzaro world. Silvagni wasn't even better than Geoff Southby at Carlton. But anyway.

I reckon Bruce Doull was a better FB than Silvagni and he didnt play FB that much, David Dench was also a better FB.

Maybe the current Buckley issues are clouding my judgement but Daicos and Fab Phil should be higher than Buckley IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back