Toast Collingwood's greatest 25 players (Michael Roberts - HS today)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Coventry won our goal kicking 16 times and he won the league's 6. He was the spearhead of the greatest side ever and kicked 1299 goals. Surely he has an argument?

I'd be moving one of them to 6th, not 60th.

Agree to disagree on Brown, but I guess that's why we have these websites. Very good player yes, great player maybe. Only 15 Collingwood players ever ahead of him? Not in my book.
Agree - G Coventry is our only player with AFL Legend status and he comes in at number 8?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I found the "125 Legends" list a bit interesting:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-05-06/champions-of-collingwood-named

Whilst you are never going to get unanimity on something like this, I was surprised not to see Josh Fraser (200 games), Heritier Lumumba (199, a premiership and All Australian), Shane O'Bree and Tarkyn Lockyer(both 227) in there. When the likes of 96 gamer Stan Magro are named (hasnt he got some mileage out of that bump on Jezza!), it sounds like there might have been a few mates selections going on. Even though BT kicked 100 goals for us, he did only play 97 games for us and he made the list too.

And no Peter McCormack!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would have thought Jock McHale and Lou Richards would have got in as players in the top 25.
Lou, sorry not close enough. Very good player by all reports. Not elite, but very good.

Jock McHale was durable, played 191 games in a row, then the record. Tough, uncompromising.
Not elite either.

But the greatest Collingwood name ever, that I would say.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Whilst you are never going to get unanimity on something like this, I was surprised not to see Josh Fraser (200 games), Heritier Lumumba (199, a premiership and All Australian), Shane O'Bree and Tarkyn Lockyer(both 227) in there. When the likes of 96 gamer Stan Magro are named (hasnt he got some mileage out of that bump on Jezza!), it sounds like there might have been a few mates selections going on. Even though BT kicked 100 goals for us, he did only play 97 games for us and he made the list too.

And no Peter McCormack!
Such an interesting list.

The question will only be of who is left out, who would they replace?

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley has just released his list.

1. Jarryd Blair
2. Nathan Buckley
3. Syd Coventry
4. Albert Collier
5. Harry Collier
6. Dick Lee
7. Peter Daicos
8. Gordon Coventry
9. Len Thompson
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Des Fothergill
12. Dane Swan
13. Phonse Kyne
14. Jack Regan
15. Wayne Richardson
16. Gavin Brown
17. Murray Weideman
18. Bill Picken
19. Tony Shaw
20. Peter Mckenna
21. Des Tuddenham
22. Peter Moore
23. Thorold Merrett
24. Darren Millane
25. Dick Condon

And no Peter McCormack!
Could be wrong, but I think they just updated (added to?) the top 100 completed in '92. While players could have been deleted with another 25 spots on offer why create that angst. Fraser had the potential to be a star, but never quite reached those heights. Doing his pcl when in career best form didn't help. O'Bree, Lumumba and Lockyer are overall good solid players who on their day were a bit more. Having not seen Taylor and Margo play I can't make a comparison however in terms of the contemporary four I can see a case either way.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley has just released his list.

1. Jarryd Blair
2. Nathan Buckley
3. Syd Coventry
4. Albert Collier
5. Harry Collier
6. Dick Lee
7. Peter Daicos
8. Gordon Coventry
9. Len Thompson
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Des Fothergill
12. Dane Swan
13. Phonse Kyne
14. Jack Regan
15. Wayne Richardson
16. Gavin Brown
17. Murray Weideman
18. Bill Picken
19. Tony Shaw
20. Peter Mckenna
21. Des Tuddenham
22. Peter Moore
23. Thorold Merrett
24. Darren Millane
25. Dick Condon
Cox at 26?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
One really good thread.

Let's hope it doesn't turn into yet another tantrum about our former number 5.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could be wrong, but I think they just updated (added to?) the top 100 completed in '92. While players could have been deleted with another 25 spots on offer why create that angst. Fraser had the potential to be a star, but never quite reached those heights. Doing his pcl when in career best form didn't help. O'Bree, Lumumba and Lockyer are overall good solid players who on their day were a bit more. Having not seen Taylor and Margo play I can't make a comparison however in terms of the contemporary four I can see a case either way.
If we did the excercise say for Hawthorn after 50, 60 players it like ours, becomes the more solid citizens I suspect.

I basically look at who is elite as my starting point and work from there.

The beauty and difficulty of players from a bygone era is that they represent on deed, reputation.

My one rule in these exercises is I always "imagine" that any era those players would equally be good in the current era. In other words they'd develop according to the time. So things like ruckmans height of the old times say 6' 2" would equate todays ruckmen. It's the only fair way to make judgment.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Vale
Lou Richards
Great Collingwood man

RIP

Sad day in our history

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I only saw Coleman play once as a kid but I saw him take some incredible marks that day at Viccy Park. He had the same aura as Peter Hudson (ie: you couldn't stop him kicking goals and just tried to limit him) but to my mind Hudson was as good (if not as sensational)
Wonderful, you saw Coleman.
Hudson, him, he'd stick his back side out, and that was that.
Goal

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood

And no Peter McCormack!

Lol, this board will melt that Sidebottom is named in the 125!

I've loved reading this thread though; am a huge history buff.

Of the top 25 I would say these are a little too low

G Coventry
P McKenna
P Moore
D Swan

The above may be a little high

P Daicos
T Shaw
S Pendlebury
T
One who should be there and maybe no 1 if not for O'Dea, J Greening

Good to see three Shaws in the 125, and my all time favourite Shaw, Ray.

Ducking for cover here, but Alan Didak at 28? Surely some contemporary bias showing there?

BTW, I bought this book at the VFL game on Sunday. Something positive to do on another bleak day, and when I opened it at home I found it had been autographed by Peter Daicos!

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Good to see three Shaws in the 125, and my all time favourite Shaw, Ray.

Ducking for cover here, but Alan Didak at 28? Surely some contemporary bias showing there?

BTW, I bought this book at the VFL game on Sunday. Something positive to do on another bleak day, and when I opened it at home I found it had been autographed by Peter Daicos!
Have you seen another list where they've ranked all the (125) players, or is it just the list of 125 players in alphabetical order (Didak is the 26th name on that list from what I can see)? Fine player that he was, he couldn't possibly be ranked that high, surely?!

ThexderX

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
Seeing Buckley as 2nd on the list almost brings a tear to my eye.

God damn I loved the guy as a player and a Collingwood legend...the current coaching issues almost makes me tear up...I so badly wanted him to be a premiership coach to stick it up the Buckley haters, but alas it isn't to be.

Wish Dougie Barwick aka "The Sealer" was there - loved Dougie!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back