Collingwood's TPP problem

Tushay

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
If the whiteboard from the Holden Centre can be believed, Collingwood has a TPP problem.

According to the whiteboard seen by reporters yesterday, one of the recommendations from their internal review is to "Review and repair Total Player Payments (TPP) model over the next 12 months".

This is not a surprise. Collingwood have traded heavily for young talent such as Treloar and brought in mature age picks like Wells and Maybe on big contracts. They still have some premium older talent too.

In May Chris Pelchen predicted their challenge in The Age:

"As a result, the mature-age players brought into the club are 'walking the plank' and expected to help the coach survive or go down with the ship.

"If they had maintained a strong approach to 'growing their own' and using their Total Player Payment space on developing players rather than spending it on older recruits, then I would argue they would be in a better position.

"The amount that Collingwood has paid on these experienced players. It's a natural effect that attracting mature-age recruits will increase a club's TPP spending, so it must be done both strategically and selectively.

"It's one thing to stretch your TPP space when playing in grand finals or being in the window of success – but to overestimate the value of your player list, or worse still, to overestimate the value of opposition players, is a real mistake.

"Teams like Hawthorn, Sydney or Geelong would have all had understandable TPP challenges in recent years but the Magpies should be several years away from having similar problems.

"Multiple draft picks and increased spending have been allocated to secure opposition players against maintaining a stronger draft focus and building a 'war chest' of TPP space for the retention of youth."

It places the Pies in a difficult position. Clearly they need key position talent to help Moore up forward. Yet they can't afford it.

It's early days in terms of the Mayne and Wells contracts so an early reprieve is unlikely. Any major talent acquisitions will now be viewed suspiciously by the AFL and the media.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The inmates are definately running the asylum, Caro wrote a piece today that Ed and Pert both had chairs at the list management table believe it or not, this comes at a time when we have several OOC assistant coaches in limbo, not hard to see where the leak came from.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Total Player Payments or Truly Pathetic Performances??

Capt Hindsight

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Banking salary cap space rather than recruiting Mayne (VFL) and Wells (Injuries) does seem to be the better option with Hindsight.
Although alot of people questioned recruiting Mayne at the time.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Pendlebury 800k
Treloar 750k
Grundy 650k (as of next year)
Wells 600k
Sidebottom 500-600k
Mayne 400-500k
Adams 400-500k
Reid 450k?
Greenwood 400k

Who else would be on anything substantial? Journalists and oppo supporters seem to love laying out our recruits but never our departures. Releasing Swan and Cloke last year freed up around 1.3 million or something crazy like that.

Pendlebury 800k
Treloar 750k
Grundy 650k (as of next year)
Wells 600k
Sidebottom 500-600k
Mayne 400-500k
Adams 400-500k
Reid 450k?
Greenwood 400k

Who else would be on anything substantial? Journalists and oppo supporters seem to love laying out our recruits but never our departures. Releasing Swan and Cloke last year freed up around 1.3 million or something crazy like that.

I expect Elliott, Fasolo, and Goldsack all earn around the 400k mark or more.

The problem with the OP's argument is it fails to take into consideration the rising salary cap.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I expect Elliott, Fasolo, and Goldsack all earn around the 400k mark or more.

The problem with the OP's argument is it fails to take into consideration the rising salary cap.
Elliott would be on a fair bit due to the marketable factor I suppose - 500k?
The other two wouldn't be on any/much more than the current average. Goldsack is OOC and will take a cut as well I think.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So these "experts" conducting the review on the running of a multi million dollar organisation leave their recommendations on a whiteboard for all to see. Especially in an organisation that is one of the most heavily reported on in the nation.
Fake News.

Elliott would be on a fair bit due to the marketable factor I suppose - 500k?
The other two wouldn't be on any/much more than the current average. Goldsack is OOC and will take a cut as well I think.
I wouldn't think any players in the comp get paid under the salary cap for marketable reasons. List managers would go nuts.

Having a good team and winning is the best marketing a club can do.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I wouldn't think any players in the comp get paid under the salary cap for marketable reasons. List managers would go nuts.

Having a good team and winning is the best marketing a club can do.
Elliott sells guernseys, and plenty of them. His manager would have sorted out something in his most recent contract.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
So these "experts" conducting the review on the running of a multi million dollar organisation leave their recommendations on a whiteboard for all to see. Especially in an organisation that is one of the most heavily reported on in the nation.
Fake News.

Obviously Ros Kelly was part of the review team

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Banking salary cap space rather than recruiting Mayne (VFL) and Wells (Injuries) does seem to be the better option with Hindsight.
No need for hindsight on that one captain. Mayne is s**t. Wells can't get on the park, is old, and got a three year deal.

They are s**t recruits that were supposed to help Buckley squeeeze into the Top 8.

Fail.

HarryZLA

All Australian
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
ba537f9333.png

Back