Toast Collingwood's youngsters are uber cool!

Remove this Banner Ad

Confident, highly skilled, supremely fit, dedicated and oh so cool. The best group of young players since pre-season 2010.

Grundy, Elliott, Langdon, Scharenberg, Adams, Crisp, Broomhead, Moore, De Goey, Maynard, Treloar, Ramsay, Smith and Aish.

These are the guys who will take us to our next flag.

Add to this group: Phillips, Sier, Crocker, McLarty, Brown, Daicos and Kirby.

That's 21 guys under 23 who will hopefully form the core of our side for the next five to ten years. Whilst GWS remain head and shoulders above the comp, I think we are in the top half dozen sides for quality youth. We have good reason now to be optimistic about our future chances of snaring the next premiership.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Add to this group: Phillips, Sier, Crocker, McLarty, Brown, Daicos and Kirby.

That's 21 guys under 23 who will hopefully form the core of our side for the next five to ten years. Whilst GWS remain head and shoulders above the comp, I think we are in the top half dozen sides for quality youth. We have good reason now to be optimistic about our future chances of snaring the next premiership.

Not adding a single 1st rounder..

Not adding a single 1st rounder..

Draft position aside, how do you rate our youngsters overall? Are we top or bottom half of the comp?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Draft position aside, how do you rate our youngsters overall? Are we top or bottom half of the comp?

Honestly depends how well Ramsay and Scharenberg can come back from their recos.

Moore and Grundy look like guns but we severely lack the 1st round depth of other clubs.

We're a long way behind teams like Sydney Bulldogs GWS GC Melbourne, probably 7-10th overall if I had to put a number on it.

Honestly depends how well Ramsay and Scharenberg can come back from their recos.

Moore and Grundy look like guns but we severely lack the 1st round depth of other clubs.

We're a long way behind teams like Sydney Bulldogs GWS GC Melbourne, probably 7-10th overall if I had to put a number on it.

I would argue that Treloar, Adams, De Goey and Aish are first round standard. I agree that a lot will depend on injury and development but personally I am satisfied with the outlook of our list.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would argue that Treloar, Adams, De Goey and Aish are first round standard. I agree that a lot will depend on injury and development but personally I am satisfied with the outlook of our list.

Every single AFL club has plenty of promising young kids.... simply listing a few names doesn't put us ahead of the pack, and I think it's no secret we've been light on 1st round picks most years of recent times.

Every single AFL club has plenty of promising young kids.... simply listing a few names doesn't put us ahead of the pack, and I think it's no secret we've been light on 1st round picks most years of recent times.

My view is that we have a top six standard list in terms of youth. I am aware that other clubs also have young players. That's kind of my point.

Problem is about 15 clubs all think their youth is top 6 quality...

Well that's the problem we need to solve! I also forgot to add in WHE. Do you rate him as a first round prospect?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well that's the problem we need to solve! I also forgot to add in WHE. Do you rate him as a first round prospect?

Not anymore, similar to Broomhead in that he needs a big year soon or he could find himself on the way out. Both have been around for a while now without ever cementing into the best 22.

Not anymore, similar to Broomhead in that he needs a big year soon or he could find himself on the way out. Both have been around for a while now without ever cementing into the best 22.

Would you describe Smith as a first round talent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
My view is that we have a top six standard list in terms of youth. I am aware that other clubs also have young players. That's kind of my point.

Means bugger all if the people in charge don't know how to harness the talent...

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Means bugger all if the people in charge don't know how to harness the talent...
If only Grundy could be harnessed, then who knows we might move up a few spots.
Suppprt by a maturing Moore, De Goey....

You just never know.

But development, development, development

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
If only Grundy could be harnessed, then who knows we might move up a few spots.
Suppprt by a maturing Moore, De Goey....

You just never know.

But development, development, development

Given Grundy needed to go externally for help I won't hold my breath!

So you're back on board the Buckley boat again! Where next?

I didn't say that. I was talking about the young talent on the list. I am still of the view that Buckley is an average coach but I certainly hope to be proven wrong next year. Everyone is capable of improvement. If Buckley is able to get the team gelling well and we start to see positive results then I would be happy for him to continue.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure about them being uber cool jmac70, and I don't really care, but they are uber exciting! I honestly can't recall when we last had such a large group of talented under 22s-23s. Sometimes I think - how did that happen?
Good point vicky - well of course the coach and pres couldn't possibly have anything to do with it :rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't say that. I was talking about the young talent on the list. I am still of the view that Buckley is an average coach but I certainly hope to be proven wrong next year. Everyone is capable of improvement. If Buckley is able to get the team gelling well and we start to see positive results then I would be happy for him to continue.
I didn't realise that your post was from 2015. You were probably allowed to like Buckley then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back