Combined sides based on ladder positions

_Rake_

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon a handful of Gold Coast players would be picked in a Richmond/GC combined side. Especially after a period of those guys being in a decent system.

I'm as chuffed and impressed with the last few years as any RFC fan, but you need to realise that great players mixed with confidence and some bravado can lift any average player by having a solid foundation around them. I'm not saying any player is being carried or overrated, but I think it's fair to point out that the surrounding environment for a player is very important.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong 3rd with Carlton 16th add cripps, curnow, walsh to geelong.....nice

West Coast 6th with Fremantle 13th add fyfe walters pearce cerra hill to the eagles.....nice
Bulldogs 7th with North 12th.....take top 8 from each and add others to taste.....would probably win the flag

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't think Howe was that good. No idea about Crisp. Also Dawson was bloody good in 2019, easily one of the Swans most attacking weapons.

Feel free to change the team though, as I don't have a monopoly on knowledge and am more than willing to admit to being wrong sometimes.
Howe and Crisp would definitely be in the combined best 22 .

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would have Jaeger and even Shiels over Powell-Pepper every day of the week.

Also I think Jonas would find a way into that side. Probably at Stratton's expense now.

Hardwick ahead of Hartlett too.

Don't think you would need Lycett in the team with Dixon, McEvoy and even Westhoff all capable of playing ruck.

I'd drop Lycett for a small like Byrne-Jones.

Leaving you with something like this:

B: Ryan Burton, James Frawley, Tom Jonas
HB: Blake Hardwick, James Sicily, Jarman Impey
C: Isaac Smith, Tom Mitchell, Ollie Wines
HF: Brad Ebert, Jack Gunston, Chad Wingard
F: Luke Breust, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Travis Boak, James Worpel
I/C: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Justin Westhoff, Shaun Burgoyne, Jaeger O'Meara

Really don't like Dixon being in there....overrated as anything. Hopefully Lewis or Patton would take his spot by the end of 2020.
Dan Houston would be an in for mine ... best field kick at Port by a length and one of the best in the AFL .

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I find it fascinating how under the radar Crisp is compared to how good he is at his position.

It's fine when it's just supporters of other clubs (I certainly won't pretend to know everything about other clubs), but recently Gary Buckenara gave him just about the lowest ranking of anyone on our entire list. :drunk:
Crisp is a gun , has improved every season and rarely has a bad game ... he was one of the few who stood up the whole Prelim Final . Big Wraps

If Rioli was playing in 2020 I'd have him in place of Matera though (no offence). I also considered players like Blakely and Brayshaw who I think could make a big step up next season but couldn't find a spot for them just yet.
yeah that’d probably be fair, but equally with form you could make a case for Matera over say Cripps if he starts to drop off a bit.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
I would combine Richmond (WA State colours) and West Coast and watch you all melt.

180K members

It would be a team that could travel 😂 , dominate at home and dominate at the G. Also it wouldn't have to play down at Geelong/Tassie ever again with all those games being played at the G

Oh and West Coast could still get to see a Rioli running around playing footy.

post your tears here:
What a disgusting thought, just vomited in my mouth.

Dan Houston would be an in for mine ... best field kick at Port by a length and one of the best in the AFL .

Great call, knew I missed someone. Would probably have him ahead of Impey.

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
This is my Brisbane/ St Kilda side

Very lethal side

B: Grant Birchall (BL), Jake Carlisle (SK), Harris Andrews (BL)

HB: Alex Witherden (BL), Dougal Howard (SK), Jarryn Geary (C) (SK)

C: Brad Hill (SK), Jack Steele (SK), Jack Billings (SK)

HF: Jade Gresham (SK), Tim Membrey (SK), Eric Hipwood (BL)

F: Charlie Cameron (BL), Max King (SK), Paddy Ryder (SK)

FOLL: Rowan Marshall (SK), Lachie Neale (BL), Seb Ross (SK)

INTERCHANGE: Stef Martin (BL), Dayne Zorko (VC) (BL), Zak Jones (SK), Dan Hannebery (SK).

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Very lethal side

INTERCHANGE: Stef Martin (BL), Dayne Zorko (VC) (BL), Zak Jones (SK), Dan Hannebery (SK).

way too many st kilda players

Very lethal side

I don't agree with the side finishing in the top 2 having only 8 players in a combined side. Possible inclusions may include Allen Christensen, Darcy Gardiner, Jarryd Lyons, Lincoln McCarthy, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich and Mitch Robinson.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I've seen 5 flag wins. Unless you're some wrinkled old campaigner I've seen more premierships than you have 😊
Ive seen 5 too...and am likely to see more very soon...which you poor frontbums certainly aren't

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You really outta do it staggered, combine 1st with 10th, 2nd with 11th and so on. Of course almost no-one from 18th would be in the side that came 1st.

Witts/Harbrow/Fiorini/Sexton/Weller would all be walk up starts into Richmond's best 22. Soldo/Broad/Stack/Pickett/Ross/Castagna out.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Ive seen 5 too...and am likely to see more very soon...which you poor frontbums certainly aren't

We aren't poor. We're the most affluent fan base in the comp. You're the most effluent.

217 times Richmond has met Carlton.

For 125 losses and 2 draws.

So you're still 35 wins and 5 flags behind. Keep up at the back.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Witts/Harbrow/Fiorini/Sexton/Weller would all be walk up starts into Richmond's best 22. Soldo/Broad/Stack/Pickett/Ross/Castagna out.
Weller is significantly overrated and harbrow isn't taking broads spot, totally different players. Plus Ross and stack weren't in our best 22 come finals, but go ahead if you want to add players to our VFL team

Antonio Conte

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man City
Essendon/Adelaide is extremely hard... And a very good team.

B Laird - Talia - Saad
HB Milera - Hurley - McKenna
C Shiel - Sloane - B.Crouch
HF Lynch - Daniher - Fantasia
F McDonald-Tipungwuti - Walker - Stringer
R O’Brien - Merrett - M.Crouch
Int. Heppell - Hooker - D.Smith - McGrath/B.Smith
Emg. McGrath/B.Smith - Gibbs - Parish - Doedee - Francis - Fogarty - Redman - Bellchambers - Gleeson - Ambrose

Help would be appreciated Adelaide folk... Tell me if I’ve overrated/underrated your players.

I also no doubt probably missed someone from either side.
brilliant and exciting team.
fogarty over walker and
doedee/francis over milera/saad/mckenna for a 3rd tall.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
We aren't poor. We're the most affluent fan base in the comp. You're the most effluent.

217 times Richmond has met Carlton.

For 125 losses and 2 draws.

So you're still 35 wins and 5 flags behind. Keep up at the back.
living in the past, poor little chap

care to wager when the blues will next make the 8?
maybe when you'll win number 17? or will you be on the pension by then?
it's a little harder to cheat the salary cap and buy flags these days, so if curnow, walsh & cripps don't bring you a flag it'll be 30 years since your last....and then what number rebuild will you be on?

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
most tiges fans would keep Soldo/Broad/Stack/Pickett/Ross/Castagna over Witts/Harbrow/Fiorini/Sexton/Weller

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Listening to SEN this morning they were talking about how many players from 2 sides would go into one, for example if you combined Collingwood and Hawthorn what the team would look like.
This got me thinking if we combined 2 sides but sorted the order according to finishing positions in2019.
For example Richmond who finished 1st combined with Gold Coast who finished last.
Giants 2nd with Melbourne 17th
Geelong 3rd with Carlton 16th
Collingwood 4th with Sydney 15th
Brisbane 5th with St.kilda 14th
West Coast 6th with Fremantle 13th
Bulldogs 7th with North 12th
Essendon 8th with Adelaide 11th
Hawthorn 9th with Port Adelaide 10th

Of these combos who makes the strongest side? At a glance I’d say the giants and Melbourne would be a very strong looking team especially with Gawn taking number 1 ruck that the giants are desperately lacking.
Just looking at a combined Richmond Suns side it’s hard to find many Suns players that would make the side however I’ll give it a go.

Richmond/Gold Coast
B - grimes (rich) astbury(rich) vlaustin (rich)
HB - houli (rich) rance (rich) short (rich)
C - Pickett (rich) Prestia (rich) Caddy (rich)
HF - Lambert (rich) Riewoldt (rich) Stack (rich)
FF - Castagna (rich) Lynch (rich) Rioli (rich)
R - Nankervis (rich) Martin (rich) Cotchin (rich)
I - Graham (rich) Soldo (rich) Bolton (rich) Ellis (Suns)

Be interested to see everyone’s sides and the differences with the players selected depending on which set of supporters are putting the team together.

Geelong/Carlton would create a world beating team imo. It would be amazing for Geelong to absorb McKay, Curnow, Cripps, SPS, Fischer, Doc, Newman,Walsh and maybe even Weitering and Dow

Bulldogs/North would be the most lop sided, other than BB and a couple of up and comers you'd pretty much just have the Bulldogs filling 18 out of best 22 spots i reckon.

Last edited:
Back