Universal Love Come on down Aliir Aliir, the time is right!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Well, if not now then when? Losing our drafted CHB and then our backup/old man CHB in the first 5 rounds is going to set us back, but it brings forward an excellent opportunity for a fine young man to stake a first team claim. According to the reserve reports, he's been playing very well as a CHB, pinch hitting in the ruck.

With our next 3 games against teams that aren't exactly noted for tall, powerful forward lines, it looks like the perfect opportunity to introduce a new defender. We've had failures in the past with Xavier Richards and Sam Reid, so let's hope that this week, big Aliir Aliir gets the nod! He would be the 2nd Sudanese player to play in the AFL, and hopefully, the only one that could ever make a career out of it (without turning into some sort of criminal).

I for one, hope that he gets his debut this week, so that he has a couple of reasonably easy games to ease his way into AFL life. I certainly wouldn't want to be throwing him in against Hawthorn, Adelaide or North, and we may have a real need for him, or Xavier, against those types of teams (especially next year).

He's got the perfect size and shape for a KPD and from the little ive seen of him he has ability.

If one of either Teddy or Laidler misses out I say give him a go!

My head says Jones, my heart says Aliir.

I reckon in a game where we could get a little too comfortable, Aliir's injection could just give us that extra spark or boost needed to really nail the Lions. Never hurts to have a solid defender with some seniors experience, even if minimal.

May be comfortable with our options now, but Teddy could be gone next year, Reid ain't great down back, and Xav hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Might as well prepare for doomsday (Grundy injured).

Not that it should come into calculations for selection, but Aliir is from QLD isn't he? It'd be nice for him to make his debut up there.

We could see both Jones and Aliir/Xavier in the side given Laidler is no certainty to play after being concussed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have any recent pictures of allir? Keen to see what sort of size he has and if he would be getting close to a senior afl defenders body

Aliir+Aliir+AFL+NAB+Cup+Rd+3+Sydney+v+West+gThYYcCXYfil.jpg

36319fa3de.jpg

dca85d5a6a.jpg

f1e81c983f.jpg

0a9d1c0255.jpg

d33af88f8f.jpg

bfe6658014.jpg

I have watched one ressie match this year and came away thinking he was pretty dominant in defence. Still makes some bad decisions (which is fairly common in the twos) but he can play.
Worth while giving him exposure over the next 2-3 weeks then, considering we'll be playing against teams that don't have tall forward lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back