Universal Love Come on down Aliir Aliir, the time is right!

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Horse continues his 100% strike rate when it comes to players everyone said he should bring in but won't.

Great news. Hope Aliir really shows something on the weekend.

Yep, certainly is :) It's a mix of his debut album cover and a Stevie Wright footy card circa 1982

1982_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_072_Stephen_Wright_Sydney_Swans.jpg
It looked like Tony Armstrong so I was quite sure ;-)

Lakeside Swan said:
Is that Prince in your avatar?

Yep, certainly is :) It's a mix of his debut album cover and a Stevie Wright footy card circa 1982

1982_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_072_Stephen_Wright_Sydney_Swans.jpg

Careful son! Don't take my avatar's name in vain! Little Stevie wright was much more talented than Prince! Sang an absolutely fabulous rendition of "Shake down the thunder from the sky." (in B flat)

Last edited:
Looks like Horse continues his 100% strike rate when it comes to players everyone said he should bring in but won't.

Great news. Hope Aliir really shows something on the weekend.
He should bring in James Rose for Ben McGlynn, but he won't.

He should bring in James Rose for Ben McGlynn, but he won't.
Lose McGlynns hardness and gut running for Rose's....what exactly? McGlynn has been good and getting better, as his fitness improves he and Papley are looming as a real strength for us this year.

Lose McGlynns hardness and gut running for Rose's....what exactly? McGlynn has been good and getting better, as his fitness improves he and Papley are looming as a real strength for us this year.
...it was a joke about Horse selecting everyone we say "he should, but won't".

But since we're on the topic McGlynn has had two good quarters in 2 games, in amongst a lot of ball butchering and missing persons reports.

I'd love for him to build some good form over the next couple of games, but at the moment he's in the group closest to the chopping block. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong!

...it was a joke about Horse selecting everyone we say "he should, but won't".

But since we're on the topic McGlynn has had two good quarters in 2 games, in amongst a lot of ball butchering and missing persons reports.

I'd love for him to build some good form over the next couple of games, but at the moment he's in the group closest to the chopping block. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong!
Having McGlynn in gives us the luxury of rotating the young guys through the ressies for a game when they need it (eg Hewett the other week). For mine that'll be critical if we're going to make a decent impact in finals. Pretty happy with his output so far and reckon he's still got more upside - missed a lot of footy last year.

Having McGlynn in gives us the luxury of rotating the young guys through the ressies for a game when they need it (eg Hewett the other week). For mine that'll be critical if we're going to make a decent impact in finals. Pretty happy with his output so far and reckon he's still got more upside - missed a lot of footy last year.
Absolutely, and big game experience is very important. I do worry for him though once Rohan and Reid are available as he has his limitations. More than likely the natural injury roller coaster will mean we always have a couple of guys out too, which makes it easier for him to hold his spot.

Absolutely, and big game experience is very important. I do worry for him though once Rohan and Reid are available as he has his limitations. More than likely the natural injury roller coaster will mean we always have a couple of guys out too, which makes it easier for him to hold his spot.
Big game experience? I thought that before the 2014 GF. He had more motivation than anyone that day and failed miserably.

Big game experience? I thought that before the 2014 GF. He had more motivation than anyone that day and failed miserably.

And wasn't alone amongst the senior guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that the team is actively rotating through the bottom 4/6 players and trying to give them as much exposure as possible leading into the finals. I think it's key, so that players like Towers, Hewitt, Rose, McGlynn and Papley can step up when called on. By then Jones should be back in the team, as well as Heeney and Mills well and truly entrenched.

Injuries will happen to our midfield, it's just how does the club handle it this year instead of last.

I like that the team is actively rotating through the bottom 4/6 players and trying to give them as much exposure as possible leading into the finals. I think it's key, so that players like Towers, Hewitt, Rose, McGlynn and Papley can step up when called on. By then Jones should be back in the team, as well as Heeney and Mills well and truly entrenched.

Injuries will happen to our midfield, it's just how does the club handle it this year instead of last.

Exactly! Newman knocking on the door too?

Was pleased with aliir today. It was hard for a tall in the wet plus a first gamer. He did a couple of good things and was unlucky not to pick up a couple of marks.

Hope he keeps his spot for next week.

I liked the look of him in the first half, quick and went at the ball. As the game went on, he seemed to get a bit lost and turned in the defensive 50. He's trying to play the Richards game, but let's see if he's capable before definitive conclusions.

Well played first game and showed a lot of composure. You don't see that often from defenders on debut.

Pros:
Composure
Concentration
Pace
Agility
Disposal

Cons:
Positioning
Body work
Strength
Reading the play

I wouldn't say that the cons are big cons, and it may well have just been the Windy and wet conditions. I suppose we're well and truly spoiled with Richards and his ability to read the play and intercept.

I liked the look of him in the first half, quick and went at the ball. As the game went on, he seemed to get a bit lost and turned in the defensive 50. He's trying to play the Richards game, but let's see if he's capable before definitive conclusions.

Well played first game and showed a lot of composure. You don't see that often from defenders on debut.

Pros:
Composure
Concentration
Pace
Agility
Disposal

Cons:
Positioning
Body work
Strength
Reading the play

I wouldn't say that the cons are big cons, and it may well have just been the Windy and wet conditions. I suppose we're well and truly spoiled with Richards and his ability to read the play and intercept.
Would like to see him in dry conditions with a directive to take the game on.

Thought he looked like an interesting prospect. Good start.

Pretty hard to assess his judgement in such a scrappy game, though.

Thought he looked like an interesting prospect. Good start.

Pretty hard to assess his judgement in such a scrappy game, though.

True. He was turned a little too easily on a lead in the 4th quarter when the Lions got a goal to get themselves back into it, but we've seen that happen to man defenders over the years. Perhaps a little too easily I thought, but that's just experience. You wouldn't get too many AFL standard forwards in the magoos.

True. He was turned a little too easily on a lead in the 4th quarter when the Lions got a goal to get themselves back into it, but we've seen that happen to man defenders over the years. Perhaps a little too easily I thought, but that's just experience. You wouldn't get too many AFL standard forwards in the magoos.

Absolutely. I saw that one in the 4th too. He seemed confident when the ball was at ground level, adn found his teammates well by hand. But he has some difficulty in choosing his moments between corralling his man and outright attacking the drop.

But I don't think it's useful to get too critical on that outing.

AA looked good first half, and the wet conditions weren't helpful to a tall player.

Absolute bonus if he can find his feet as a tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back