Opinion 'Comeback story'

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFatNorthFan

Senior List
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Howdy Dons fans,

I wrote something today on how you all shouldn't really give a stuff if people complain about the 'comeback story'.

You probably won't like all of what I have to say but you'll like at least some of it I wager!

Best of luck this year. I'm tipping you guys to play finals.

(Please delete if this kind of thread is not welcome.)

(Copied over article as per site rules: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/help/terms )

Not since “Can you smell what the Blues are cooking?” has there been an AFL club PR campaign to attract so much criticism as Essendon’s ‘comeback story’.

As Jay Croucher articulated so well on Monday, this isn’t your traditional clean-cut, feel-good story.

Half a dozen of the Essendon players on the field on Saturday night served suspensions for the use of banned peptides – whether you agree with the verdict itself or not, there is no denying the fact of its existence.

When you juxtapose that with Jarryd Roughead returning from a bout with cancer in the same game, it’s not hard to understand why many footy fans are railing against the narrative that Essendon and some sections of the media are so loudly spreading.

Were Essendon truly guilty? Were their players guilty? Those aren’t questions I’m looking to answer.

Someone out there in the AFL universe does have the answer, but whoever they are, they clearly value their personal reputation more than they do the comfort that the truth would bring the players, the club, the league, and thousands of fans.

Throughout the saga we’ve seen the people who were in power at Essendon at the time always pushing blame away from themselves onto others. Much of what they say sounds reasonable individually, but the different versions don’t add up. Someone must be telling fibs.

There will always be a sense of uncomfortable uncertainty about this period of Essendon’s history. Were the players really innocent victims? Or were they as culpable as anyone else involved? I doubt we’ll ever know for sure in any satisfying way.

On top of that is the headache that the AFL has created for itself by allowing the Bombers to retain the No.1 draft pick they were awarded last year for finishing on the bottom of the ladder, largely due to their absentees.

The quality of their list when all players are available is not so poor as to justify them being given access to the best young talent in the country, not nearly. This was a situation artificially created.

Worse still, it was created by the fact that the Bombers were ostensibly being punished – but that supposed punishment may wind up being beneficial when you consider how promising Andy McGrath looked on Saturday night.

It is mystifying and farcical to know that we live in a world where the Sydney Swans were banned from trading and free agency as a result of their perfectly legal use of trading and free agency, while Essendon’s indiscretions have been rewarded with a No.1 draft pick.

I realise that is skipping over some of the details along the way but put it simply: would Essendon have had the No.1 draft pick if they hadn’t been penalised for their actions? No.

As Essendon become a successful team this year and in the longer term, as I have earlier this year predicted they will, you can expect this to become a common point of contention.

It’s unfortunate that the AFL lacked the foresight to make the decision then that would have saved it plenty of future headaches. Such is life – this is the world we live in now.

Don’t get me wrong, none of that is meant to be a criticism of Essendon. Every club has the right to act in their own best interests, and if the AFL lets you have the No.1 draft pick, you take the No.1 draft pick.

What it all boils down to is this: AFL clubs don’t exist to make fans of all 18 teams like them. Pretty much the opposite really.

They want to inspire loyalty in their fans, and beyond that, it’s probably better to be hated than liked by the opposition, because in sport, hate is at least the cousin of respect.

That’s why it makes little sense for an opposition fan to complain about Essendon and the media trying to sell them the ‘comeback story’. No one’s trying to sell it to you – they’re selling it to Dons fans, you just happen to be watching the advertising.

Why would the Bombers care what opposition fans think of it? Why should it? They’re not working for them, they’re working for their own fans.

They want to give those fans hope that they can finally move forward, that they can become an elite club again. That’s what the ‘comeback story’ is about, and it is working exactly as intended.

When Essendon gets wins this year, as they did on Saturday night, and when they have success in the future, you can be certain there’ll be a chorus of crusty naysayers, desperate to put an asterisk next to anything the club achieves. There always is.

Essendon’s fans will be too busy enjoying themselves to care. As they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy Dons fans,

I wrote something today on how you all shouldn't really give a stuff if people complain about the 'comeback story'.

You probably won't like all of what I have to say but you'll like at least some of it I wager!

I caught it on twitter this morning - i was having a think about it actually.

Im not totally sure clubs marketing slogans and campaigns are solely aimed at their own supporters.

Often they are probably part of a larger branding excercise looking outward as well

I mean bullish clubs who think they are about to challenge for a flag may make a statement with their branding to show the footy world they are coming.

id be suprised if we dont use whats happened in the past 4 years to galvanise an us vs them mentality moving forward.

We are going to be hated for ever.. the * club...

why not work with it? collingwood have for ever and a day.

Howdy Dons fans,

Meh, it's not poorly written, but your read on the #1 draft pick is way off - you don't seem to understand why it couldn't be taken from us.

But generally speaking, opinions are welcome here - even if they aren't overly complimentary.

giphy.gif

What was the point of the first 2/3 of the article?

You setting up the context for why other fans should care? Or why Essendon fan shouldn't care? Or is it why Essendon fans who don't care should care?

I get the pick 1 thing.
But anyone who wants to whinge about it can start railing for us to get our 2013 1st and 2nd and 2014 1st back. We'll then swap the 1st round advantage we got in 2016 and make our 2018 1st and end of round pick after the premiers

So the options are stop whinging, or we get 3x 1st round picks plus another 2nd this year.

I imagine a lot of the people uncomfortable with us getting Pick 1 in 2016 were mighty comfortable with the 2013 sanctions against the club
Can't eat your cake and have it too.

As for people liking us or not. they hated our dominance in 2000, so we must be doing something right.
Honestly though, i dont get why people combine hatred and AFL.
I was at the Saints Dees game on saturday and it was a joy to watch the Dees play well.
It was enjoyable to celebrate the Dogs GF drought being broken.
I sat in awe of the Hawks three-peat.

Why get so riled up over a game.

Has it really attracted that much criticism, or am I just looking in the wrong areas?

I don't actually think I've heard much, if at all, criticism on the slogan.

Has it really attracted that much criticism, or am I just looking in the wrong areas?

I don't actually think I've heard much, if at all, criticism on the slogan.

I reckon that's because more than a few of us naturally stopped reading/listening to many of the mouth breather soapboxes (SEN for example).

Well EFC haters better get used to that slogan because now there's 18,000 tshirts floating around with the words on it and they'll be worn for years to come at BBQ parties ..just to give people the shits.

In regards to the number 1 pick.

Blame the AFL, they went early with their punishments (which no opposition supporter had an issue with at the time funnily enough) and took away our picks just in case we got done. Then when we did actually get banned they had their hands tied because of their premature ejaculation.

So yeah, if you want to become a good journalist, I recommend staying away from half arsed reporting of facts and look into things a little harder.

good luck with it though.

Well EFC haters better get used to that slogan because now there's 18,000 tshirts floating around with the words on it and they'll be worn for years to come at BBQ parties ..just to give people the shits.
We actually sold 18k of those things?

oh my

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to the number 1 pick.

Blame the AFL, they went early with their punishments (which no opposition supporter had an issue with at the time funnily enough) and took away our picks just in case we got done. Then when we did actually get banned they had their hands tied because of their premature ejaculation.

So yeah, if you want to become a good journalist, I recommend staying away from half arsed reporting of facts and look into things a little harder.

good luck with it though.

What should really happen is that Fantasia and Merrett should be taken from us, because they are too good and top 10 players in the 2013 draft, and replaced with Nathan Freeman and Jarrad Jansen.

What should really happen is that Fantasia and Merrett should be taken from us, because they are too good and top 10 players in the 2013 draft, and replaced with Nathan Freeman and Jarrad Jansen.

Seems fair.

Fantasia should learn his bloody place TBH. Picked up at 55 and playing like that, you think yourself above your station sir.

All of these people complaining about our number 1 pick. We could have Cripps, Merrett and Fantasia all in the same year! 2013 was a super draft and we only had 2 selections (both from trades).

The public's impatience is what led to the punishment being brought forward, so enjoy our number 1 pick!

So since the AFL 'penalties', we've drafted Merrett, Fantasia, Ambrose, Langford, Laverde, McKernan, Parish, Francis, Hartley, Walla, McGrath...

I don't think we got the memo, in addition to the penalties, we needed to co-operate by drafting s**t as well.

Essendon rewards: loss of 2013 1st rounder, downgrade of 2014 1st rounder, loss of 2013 & 14 2nd rounders. Removal from finals series, senior players banned for 12 months, forced into trades of Cramer, Ryder, Carlisle, Hibberd, Melksham. Monetary fine.

Resulting in (surprise, surprise) bottom of the ladder finish. We were then able to use our 1st rounder unemcombered. That is all.

By the same logic Carlton should have been banned on using their number 1 picks on Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer because their list of was stranded after their AFL sanctions.

As if finishing last is a reward. Any team that wants to finish last can. Be my guest.

I get the pick 1 thing.
But anyone who wants to whinge about it can start railing for us to get our 2013 1st and 2nd and 2014 1st back. We'll then swap the 1st round advantage we got in 2016 and make our 2018 1st and end of round pick after the premiers

So the options are stop whinging, or we get 3x 1st round picks plus another 2nd this year.

I imagine a lot of the people uncomfortable with us getting Pick 1 in 2016 were mighty comfortable with the 2013 sanctions against the club
Can't eat your cake and have it too.

As for people liking us or not. they hated our dominance in 2000, so we must be doing something right.
Honestly though, i dont get why people combine hatred and AFL.
I was at the Saints Dees game on saturday and it was a joy to watch the Dees play well.
It was enjoyable to celebrate the Dogs GF drought being broken.
I sat in awe of the Hawks three-peat.

Why get so riled up over a game.

If you read around BIGFOOTY 2013 those picks were taken off us for Gov'nance, so we are waiting for our punishment for PEDS.

So since the AFL 'penalties', we've drafted Merrett, Fantasia, Ambrose, Langford, Laverde, McKernan, Parish, Francis, Hartley, Walla, McGrath...

I don't think we got the memo, in addition to the penalties, we needed to co-operate by drafting s**t as well.
We need to be further sanctioned because of our effective drafting.
Bloody hell without the saga we oils have been looking at a draft of Cripps, Zerrett and Fantasia while keeping. Crameri. Yes we are still looking strong with our youth, but we would be bloody scary if we had of kept our picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back