Opinion 'Comeback story'

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to New Zealand next week and it will be taken as a hiking t-shirt.

I look forward to the wails of outrage as I trek through forests, across glaciers, climb mountains and ford raging rivers.

Actually, there will probably be none because I doubt the Kiwis give a toss.

they dont but jetstar fly there - so that means so do poor bogan aussie football fanz

Let's cut to the chase.

The AFL punished us as they did in 2013 because the belief at the time was that we'd probably doped but that it wouldn't be proved and the players wouldn't be charged. The AFL had to be very careful how they worded things though, so they wrapped it up neatly in 'bringing the game into disrepute'.

Then ASADA fell out of bed with the AFL and all of that went out the window.

Anyone who thinks the punishment wasn't done with this in mind is either being wilfully obtuse or they're a ******* idiot.

So rewarded? Give me a ******* break. The AFL was never going to punish us again because it would have been double dipping. Having 12 players banned and the fact it doomed us to not only a bottom finish, but a poor year of gate takings, a drop in membership and soaring debt was also further consequences heaped on the club. Whether that was done by the AFL or not and even if they were justified doesn't ******* matter - it still happened.

The end.

Insert mic drop gif

Having 12 players banned and the fact it doomed us to not only a bottom finish, but a poor year of gate takings, a drop in membership and soaring debt was also further consequences heaped on the club. and, in turn, this impacted negatively on the AFL's image and finances.
The end.
Anyone who thinks that the AFL "rewarded" the EFC with the no 1 draft pick and is now actively endorsing and supporting the come back story for the good of the EFC is deluded.

Crameri was 100% about the money. We would have lost him.

Just sub Rory Lobb into the side
Fair enough. Well I do like me a good old retrospective hypothetical.
So if the same sanctions applied but instead of it being the 2013 and 2014 drafts it was the 2016 and 2017 drafts as people may be suggesting then the following changes could happen (assuming all trades remain the same):

2013:
Pick 10: Cripps (gonna back our recruiting staff to get this pick right given their strike rate over recent drafts)
Pick 26: Zerrett
Pick 29: Lobb
Pick 55: Fantasia

Pick 13: Laverde (I'm gonna say we were gonna go him anyway, can swap Weller in here though if you want).
Pick 17: Langford
Pick 34: Blakely

But then we lose picks 1 & 19 last year (losing McGrath and Ridley) and we lose our 2nd rounder for next year and our 1st rounder moves to the end of the first round (so pick 18 becomes pick 18).

In: Cripps, Lobb, Blakely
Out: McGrath, Ridley, 2017 2nd rounder, 2017 1st rounder gets moved to the end of the round (pick 18 to pick 18 o_O)

Is this really the change opposition supporters are looking for? Either way it doesn't seem too much different to me.

We got punished draft wise. The punishment was big (possibly Cripps, Lobb & Blakely).

People need to move on.

Howdy Dons fans,

I wrote something today on how you all shouldn't really give a stuff if people complain about the 'comeback story'.

You probably won't like all of what I have to say but you'll like at least some of it I wager!

If you want to give it a read: https://goo.gl/AvEWtK

Best of luck this year. I'm tipping you guys to play finals.

(Please delete if this kind of thread is not welcome.)

A TL;DR for those that haven't read it: 'The wheel of positive press has inevitably turned (as it was always going to do) and I'm having a big sooky wooky'.

Howdy Dons fans,

I wrote something today on how you all shouldn't really give a stuff if people complain about the 'comeback story'.

You probably won't like all of what I have to say but you'll like at least some of it I wager!

If you want to give it a read: https://goo.gl/AvEWtK

Best of luck this year. I'm tipping you guys to play finals.

(Please delete if this kind of thread is not welcome.)

Hi there, what everyone said but with less words.

Fair enough. Well I do like me a good old retrospective hypothetical.
So if the same sanctions applied but instead of it being the 2013 and 2014 drafts it was the 2016 and 2017 drafts as people may be suggesting then the following changes could happen (assuming all trades remain the same):

2013:
Pick 10: Cripps (gonna back our recruiting staff to get this pick right given their strike rate over recent drafts)
Pick 26: Zerrett
Pick 29: Lobb
Pick 55: Fantasia

Pick 13: Laverde (I'm gonna say we were gonna go him anyway, can swap Weller in here though if you want).
Pick 17: Langford
Pick 34: Blakely

But then we lose picks 1 & 19 last year (losing McGrath and Ridley) and we lose our 2nd rounder for next year and our 1st rounder moves to the end of the first round (so pick 18 becomes pick 18).

In: Cripps, Lobb, Blakely
Out: McGrath, Ridley, 2017 2nd rounder, 2017 1st rounder gets moved to the end of the round (pick 18 to pick 18 o_O)

Is this really the change opposition supporters are looking for? Either way it doesn't seem too much different to me.

We got punished draft wise. The punishment was big (possibly Cripps, Lobb & Blakely).

People need to move on.
No.

They're looking for:

2013:
-

2014:
- Blaine Boekhorst
- Liam Jones
- Clem Smith

- Yestin Eades

-

Anyone who thinks that the AFL "rewarded" the EFC with the no 1 draft pick and is now actively endorsing and supporting the come back story for the good of the EFC is deluded.

Fans are just upset that things a looking up for the EFC instead of being consigned to the bottom of ladder for decades like they hoped.

Cant wait till we win the flag and give the middle finger to the haters.

Mind you for the last few months since the 2016 season ended, for every smartarse that has said something negative about us there's been 3 times as many who have said to me they're happy for us supporters and the club itself that it's finally over.

Me and a bunch of bombers I know here in Perth copped it pretty bad over the last few years..especially at my local footy club...but the tide was turning last year as people got tired of trying to hang #### with the same lame jokes/banter.

Everyone in footy (the normal people) were just so sick and tired of the neverending headlines about us they just wanted us to be a normal club again so we can all have our competition back to the way it was before.

Just talking to my 60 year old next door neighbor before (eagles fan) and we talked about my trip back for the game. He spent most of the conversation talking about Hirdy and how much respect he has for him as a person and a player and how he was genuinely happy for us as a club while watching the game on tv.

He was staggered by the crowd size and by how much we all love this club and never deserted it when times were tough.

Journalists will keep writing about it for a awhile yet. But in two years time it will be ancient history and no one will give a s**t about it anymore.

Essendon Forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The current team kind of reminds me a bit of the 2000 team and i say that because of the speed we have now and the teamwork that i can see transitioning into the game style...

Zach/Mercuri ...that's enough for me :)

we don't really have a Hird or a Lloyd though....

that can be made up for by a good balance of depth in the list.

We'll be right. I've been through about 6 or 7 eras since 1981..some good, some not so good.

I've got a very good feeling about this one..there's no Micheal Symons or Barry Youngs in this side.

We'll be right. I've been through about 6 or 7 eras since 1981..some good, some not so good.

I've got a very good feeling about this one..there's no Micheal Symons or Barry Youngs in this side.
Was it Michael Symons that had the 50m run up for a set shot?

Let's cut to the chase.

The AFL punished us as they did in 2013 because the belief at the time was that we'd probably doped but that it wouldn't be proved and the players wouldn't be charged. The AFL had to be very careful how they worded things though, so they wrapped it up neatly in 'bringing the game into disrepute'.

Then ASADA fell out of bed with the AFL and all of that went out the window.

Anyone who thinks the punishment wasn't done with this in mind is either being wilfully obtuse or they're a ******* idiot.

So rewarded? Give me a ******* break. The AFL was never going to punish us again because it would have been double dipping. Having 12 players banned and the fact it doomed us to not only a bottom finish, but a poor year of gate takings, a drop in membership and soaring debt was also further consequences heaped on the club. Whether that was done by the AFL or not and even if they were justified doesn't ******* matter - it still happened.

The end.

I'd say they simply jumped the gun because they were scared of the possibility we were gonna win the 2013 flag.

They couldn't cop that.

In any case, had they waited I reckon the punishments would have been largely the same... $2m fines, booted from finals (effectively the same as playing a season for no points), two years without draft picks 1 and 2, Hird suspended for a year... not sure what else people think they could / would have done.

Ultimately there is just a section of people who were furiously pulling themselves at the thought of the club being wound up, and anything less than that has them whinging.

* them really, it's their own fault they got so frothed up over this. Normal people dont really care and don't care now that it's all over - if anything they're happy.

Re the article, it was ok for mine. Doubt the author has read our thoughts, it's all about getting the clicks up!

I read the line about how the AFL have apparently created a "headache" for themselves by not arbitrarily punishing EFC twice and removing the number pick with a great deal of hilarity.

What ******* headache? The only headache is for offended opposition fans who can't get their furrowed brows around the fact that it's not a reward to be penalised so hard you come last, and the pick is the result of the consequences of that penalty.

Here's a newsflash for you. The number one pick is not and never has been awarded by any kind of subjective merit or assessment on who has the worse list. It is given to the team that finishes last. That's the only criterion. So why would it be different last year? No reason, hence it wasn't.

So back to the alleged headache. In what way do you see the AFL having a headache? There's no issue with McGrath being at EFC anywhere, except in the heads of a small minority of overly emotionally involved opposition supporters. So once again, why does the AFL have a headache?

Simple. They don't.

It's our club, it's our marketing department, and whilst I personally don't love a lot of what they do, if it gets up the noses of the incredible sulks then I'm all for it frankly.

This is just a subtle troll, take it from one who should know. It's a troll in a delivery vehicle designed to just get it past the mods. Credit for trying and for getting a result, but I'm on to you ;)

Last edited:
I read the line about how the AFL have apparently created a "headache" for themselves by not arbitrarily punishing EFC twice and removing the number pick with a great deal of hilarity.

What ******* headache? The only headache is for offended opposition fans who can't get their furrowed brows around the fact that it's not a reward to be penalised so hard you come last, and the pick is the result of the consequences of that penalty.

Here's a newsflash for you. The number one pick is not and never has been awarded by any kind of subjective merit or assessment on who has the worse list. It is given to the team that finishes last. That's the only criterion. So why would it be different last year? No reason, hence it wasn't.

So back to the alleged headache. In what way do you see the AFL having a headache? There's no issue with McGrath being at EFC anywhere, except in the heads of a small minority of overly emotionally involved opposition supporters. So once again, why does the AFL have a headache?

Simple. They don't.

It's our club, it's our marketing department, and whilst I personally don't love a lot of what they do, if it gets up the noses of the incredible sulks then I'm all for it frankly.

This is just a subtle troll, take it from one who should know. It's a troll in a delivery vehicle designed to just get it past the mods. Credit for trying and for getting a result, but I'm on to you ;)
As if the AFL ever gave themselves a headache about anything anyway...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back