Entertainment & Music Comedians that don't make you laugh

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave Hughes used to be very funny but, like music, it's hard to stay relevant and on top the more successful you become. And sometimes you make compromises to have mainstream success. That said, his stand-up still has some decent material when he works on it. Peter Helluar not so much.

Unpopular opinion but Hughesy has his own comedy style.
Yeah his style is unfunny bogan, his whole routine is based around the fact he speaks weird

Most comedians don't make me laugh. I like Jim Jefferies, Bill Burr, Carlin etc but I can sit there and listen to their interesting and entertaining commentary without laughing once. Now Alex Jones, there's a guy who makes me laugh.

Yeah for some reason I actually struggle to laugh at most funny comedians and shows. I'll find their stuff amusing but it's real rare that I'll actually be laughing out loud.
Yeah I find it very rare that a stand up will make me genuinely laugh. Used to live it as a younger person though. Maybe it's just all been said and done, or maybe it's just the older and more disappointed in the world I get, the less inclined I am to laugh....

I saw Noble about 10 years ago and was sore from laughing so much. Then people ask you to repeat some jokes and they just aren't funny because it's all in his manic delivery.

It's the tangents.

I couldn't even tell you what the arcs of his original jokes were, but I remember him asking an audience member how far away they lived ('about 15 minutes') and that let to a solid 20 minutes down the rabbit hole starting with 'that's more of a time than a distance really, you might have a really crap car' descending into more and more ludicrous modes of transportation before he came back to the original gag.

He asked a question of someone else and they knocked a drink over. That led to a tangent about needing to come up with more and more elaborate distractions and before long we were hearing about parachuting monkeys and the need for some kind of anti-monkey hats.

You read that and think 'riiiight' but once you've been to a show you get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave Hughes

Saw Dave Hughes at the Adelaide Fringe when he first started out, his routine was about being a slacker, on the dole etc and his delivery was perfect. It was very funny. I don't hate him as much as most, but like with most comedians, over exposure breeds contempt.

Whilst I'm very much in the women aren't funny camp and way too often rely on the obvious women's body part issues, I actually find Kitty Flanagan bearable.

I remember Ross Noble hosting on Triple J for a few weeks over summer many years ago and he was pretty funny but he can get a bit tiresome after a while.

He was still far better and funnier than most regular Triple J hosts.
if that was with Terri Psiakis it made my ears bleed

i mean they appeared to be having fun just talking s**t but it was 50m of waffle and two songs an hour

I reckon there's a difference between not laughing like a hyena and not being amused/entertained.

I saw Ross Noble live once rambling non stop for a solid 2 hours and it was brilliant, but I don't remember being in tears from laughter during the show.
I've been forced to step out of a room because my stomach was in pain from laughing so much. That was at a later cal Perth gig, too.

How the hell did we get this far with no Mikey Robins mention?

The funniest thing about him is the chin wobble head thing he does any time he tries to interject with his "humour".

And second Wendy Harmer. Not only unfunny, but a face for radio, and a voice for newspaper.

Haha. I just found who this guy Mikey Robins is while watching Today Extra on channel 9. He still does the unfunny interjections followed by a distinct lack of laughter from the other hosts! Total loser this guy is.

I find that the funniest comedians are generally the british ones. They have the delivery and class but also the ability to flip a switch and be crass at the same time. Most american/canadian comedians try to hard to be crass but it just doesn't come off, sort of like the american inbetweeners series.

Australian comedians are generally just telling stupid stories and they don't have the delivery of their international counterparts - Jim Jeffries is an obvious exception.

Not sure why women struggle with comedy, i like a few of them but I never find them to be overly funny.

A lot of comedic actors aren't actually very funny people. Actors in general get overrated when it's the writers and directors who really facilitate the humour.

As for stand up comedians, I've seen Hughesy 5 times. The first 3 times he was hilarious, the last 2 times he was stale as hell and you can tell he's just not trying anymore.

I don't really like any US stand ups, except for maybe Bill Burr. They're all obsessed with race and politics and Trump blablabla boring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back