Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ling is a dick.

When Thomas got the free for high contact after lowering his body. The automatic thing that came out of Lings gob was that he ducked and Carey had to correct the Ranga and stand up for Thomas

I was there on Friday night, so just saw some of the replay and heard Ling for the first time. How many times does Carey have to make the case and then Ling just comes back with "have another look at the duck here", seriously his comprehension and listening skills really need some work. How can you duck when you're already down low and never changes his level.

Edit: gee I'm glad I came out in support of a North player only to see the posts about the Dog's injury list. Seriously ours has been horrendous all year. We lose one or two key players every week.

I was there on Friday night, so just saw some of the replay and heard Ling for the first time. How many times does Carey have to make the case and then Ling just comes back with "have another look at the duck here", seriously his comprehension and listening skills really need some work. How can you duck when you're already down low and never changes his level.

Edit: gee I'm glad I came out in support of a North player only to see the posts about the Dog's injury list. Seriously ours has been horrendous all year. We lose one or two key players every week.

Ranga don't listen.

Pauline doesn't.

Julia didn't.

Lingy doesn't.

As have we.

My comment was directed at the media making excuses. Not the club.

Ranga don't listen.

Pauline doesn't.

Julia didn't.

Lingy doesn't.

Oh oh, I used to be a ranga before someone put so many grey tips in.

"Over the course of the season, no team has finished a game at least one player down more often than the Kangaroos, who have suffered game-ending injuries in all but five games.

Adelaide, again, has enjoyed the best run, equal with West Coast in suffering just one game-ending injury in 15 matches.

How each club fares with in-game injuries
AVAILABLE PLAYERS AT END OF GAME

Club2221201918
North Melbourne
5 9 1 0 0
Gold Coast 6 4 5 0 0
Brisbane Lions 7 5 3 0 0
Fremantle 8 7 0 0 0
Collingwood 8 5 1 0 1
St Kilda 9 4 1 1 0
Western Bulldogs 9 6 0 0 0
Sydney Swans 9 4 2 0 0
Melbourne 10 5 0 0 0
Richmond 10 3 1 1 0
Essendon 10 4 1 0 0
Carlton 10 4 1 0 0
Geelong 11 4 0 0 0
GWS 11 2 2 0 0
Port Adelaide 12 2 1 0 0
Hawthorn 12 3 0 0 0
Adelaide 14 1 0 0 0
West Coast 14 1 0 0 0"

It is a bit frustrating everybody lamenting how unlucky your club is with injuries, yet when it comes to us the general opinion is we are just s**t.

That said I do have sympathy because it is a terrible feeling watching a season slip away because of bad injury luck.

"Over the course of the season, no team has finished a game at least one player down more often than the Kangaroos, who have suffered game-ending injuries in all but five games.

Adelaide, again, has enjoyed the best run, equal with West Coast in suffering just one game-ending injury in 15 matches.

Club2221201918
North Melbourne
5 9 1 0 0
Gold Coast 6 4 5 0 0
Brisbane Lions 7 5 3 0 0
Fremantle 8 7 0 0 0
Collingwood 8 5 1 0 1
St Kilda 9 4 1 1 0
Sydney Swans 9 4 2 0 0
Melbourne 10 5 0 0 0
Richmond 10 3 1 1 0
Essendon 10 4 1 0 0
Carlton 10 4 1 0 0
Geelong 11 4 0 0 0
GWS 11 2 2 0 0
Port Adelaide 12 2 1 0 0
Hawthorn 12 3 0 0 0
Adelaide 14 1 0 0 0
West Coast 14 1 0 0 0"

Send that to M Lloyd.

Being born in the late 70s I only saw Jimmy play towards the end of his career but my dad has told me all about his ability to pick them off with ease.

Usually after a taunt of some sort or someone sniping his brother and always while he was eyeballing them. I think he may have clocked someone at the aftermatch in the social club at Arden St. Some Carlton dick if I recall.

He probably waltzed over to Jimmy with "Mate, I hope I wasn't out of line out there with that crack about you being a ......"

Nekminit - lights out.

As have we.

My comment was directed at the media making excuses. Not the club.

Believe me I get it, North's injuries are to players that add points of difference to the team and have been are critical times. Ours have been to many of our key playmakers starting with our captain (and the AA captain) in round 3, Johannisen in round 4 for more than 10 weeks and it just kept on going. Now two more season ending injuries at the pointy end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw about 2 minutes of the horrendously bad Ch7 footy show. Leigh Matthews said that Majak's mark was clearly better than Daniher's because Majak took the ball at it's highest post whereas Daniher took the ball in front of his face.

On Friday night Carey said it was (about?) the greatest mark he'd ever seen. That's two of the greatest players ever going for Maj.

Ling's contribution on Friday night was to measure the combined height of each set of two players and say that Daniher's mark was better because he and his opponent are a couple of cms taller. Perhaps he was joking and I wasn't in the mood for jokes - but it wasn't any funnier watching the replay on Saturday morning.

Sadly for Maj, that goose is on the selection panel. Hopefully, they only get to select the three candidates and then someone a bit more sensible selects the winner (Maj of course).

Club2221201918
North Melbourne
5 9 1 0 0
Gold Coast 6 4 5 0 0
Brisbane Lions 7 5 3 0 0
Fremantle 8 7 0 0 0
Collingwood 8 5 1 0 1
St Kilda 9 4 1 1 0
Sydney Swans 9 4 2 0 0
Melbourne 10 5 0 0 0
Richmond 10 3 1 1 0
Essendon 10 4 1 0 0
Carlton 10 4 1 0 0
Geelong 11 4 0 0 0
GWS 11 2 2 0 0
Port Adelaide 12 2 1 0 0
Hawthorn 12 3 0 0 0
Adelaide 14 1 0 0 0
West Coast 14 1 0 0 0"

It is a bit frustrating everybody lamenting how unlucky your club is with injuries, yet when it comes to us the general opinion is we are just s**t.

That said I do have sympathy because it is a terrible feeling watching a season slip away because of bad injury luck.

Yeah I watch all North games and know the side has been decimated during some games this year. I don't think injuries in game have cost us too many wins, and I thought the Saints were better than us last night anyway. Ours are more about the amount of games missed by key players and the regularity of copping them.

Believe me I get it, North's injuries are to players that add points of difference to the team and have been are critical times. Ours have been to many of our key playmakers starting with our captain (and the AA captain) in round 3, Johannisen in round 4 for more than 10 weeks and it just kept on going. Now two more season ending injuries at the pointy end.

Unbelievable - just when you thought the curse might be over it continues to happen.

The Geelong game when North was effectively 3 players down at halftime, with 2 being inside mids was a new low...

Club2221201918
North Melbourne
5 9 1 0 0
Gold Coast 6 4 5 0 0
Brisbane Lions 7 5 3 0 0
Fremantle 8 7 0 0 0
Collingwood 8 5 1 0 1
St Kilda 9 4 1 1 0
Sydney Swans 9 4 2 0 0
Melbourne 10 5 0 0 0
Richmond 10 3 1 1 0
Essendon 10 4 1 0 0
Carlton 10 4 1 0 0
Geelong 11 4 0 0 0
GWS 11 2 2 0 0
Port Adelaide 12 2 1 0 0
Hawthorn 12 3 0 0 0
Adelaide 14 1 0 0 0
West Coast 14 1 0 0 0"

If you complain about in-game injuries AND complained about the sub rule then you are a fool. (Not saying you did but I'm sure there are plenty out there that hated the sub rule and are now using injuries as an excuse)

If you complain about in-game injuries AND complained about the sub rule then you are a fool. (Not saying you did but I'm sure there are plenty out there that hated the sub rule and are now using injuries as an excuse)

I liked the sub rule for this very reason. Was always a talking point who would get the vest and watching when they'd unleash the latest super sub (Matty Campbell for you guys maybe and Gia for us). I never liked when they made a first gamer sub though.

I'll do both of those things.

I think having no sub and 4 interchange with a cap around 75 to 100 makes the game better. Endurance is a key component of Aussie Rules and the changes really test that. I do prefer it.

Complaining about in game injuries is completely reasonable. It sucks and it makes things harder. And its hurt us this year.

But I wouldn't change the rule cos it does make the game better. It makes it harder to play rewards physical ability (ie endurance thru genes or training or both) and mental toughness (ie the ability to push thru pjysical and mental fatigue at the end of a game.) There is nothing we can do about it except whinge and this is an internet forum ffs. Nothing we say is gonna bring our players back or fix the damage we've suffered.

If this becomes an issue for the game (not just us this year) then I could accept allowing sides to swap an emergency in during the first half of a game. Although its potentially ripe for abuse.

We have had some bad luck and the universe doesn't give bonus points for bad luck unless you push thru it and force your way to success anyway. its our tough luck. The flag is still there for us to take if we lift enough.

Herald Sun votes 3. Wells 2. Sidebottom 1. Thomas. Yes you read right "Sidebottom" was voted 2nd best on ground.

The Age journo (Daniel Cherny) gave his votes to: Petrie,Wells,Thomas,Gibson and Pendlebury. Not sure about Drewie as BOG but they're a bit closer to the mark. Mind you the same journo said Boomer would be playing his record equalling game next week so loses a bit of cred there.

Being born in the late 70s I only saw Jimmy play towards the end of his career but my dad has told me all about his ability to pick them off with ease.
Jimmy was never a sniper, he was always a ball player. (Unlike Leigh Matthews, for instance).

But if anyone tried to snipe him, or denigrate his race, or tried to snipe Phil : watch out. He could fight, and he never backed down to anyone.

Usually after a taunt of some sort or someone sniping his brother and always while he was eyeballing them. I think he may have clocked someone at the aftermatch in the social club at Arden St. Some Carlton dick if I recall.

He probably waltzed over to Jimmy with "Mate, I hope I wasn't out of line out there with that crack about you being a ......"

Nekminit - lights out.
As I heard the story : Jimmy was out for a few weeks with a broken arm. Serial sniper Jimmy Buckjley had a few cheap shots at Phil during the game. Schimma was having a friendly beer with Rod Austin after the game when Jimmy came up and asked him if he wanted to have a go at someone who was facing him. He got one or 2 punches in before Schimma separated the two, and explained that Curly Austin was a good bloke, and Buckley was the culprit he wanted.

Don't know if he caught up with Buckley that day ; but I hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back