Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afl.coms 9 things they learnt.

9. Individual performances can still be resurrected at three-quarter time
Ben Cunnington and Mason Wood are at different stages of their development, but shared something in common through the first three quarters against Carlton – dirty days. Cunnington similarly struggled to get going in North Melbourne's round six win over Gold Coast on a forgettable night. This time, after failing to win a disposal in the third term to give him seven at the last break, the 2014 club best and fairest willed himself into the contest. Cunnington had 10 last-quarter possessions and was a strong contributor in turning the momentum around. Wood also turned his fortunes around for the better to kick two key final-term goals – including the go-ahead one – after four touches to three-quarter time. That's the sort of character coaches must love. - Marc McGowan

Robbo's like

8. SHAUN HIGGINS

HE’S got to 29 years of age quickly and, other than his 2009 and 2015 seasons, you wonder what he’s done with all that talent, despite his serious injuries. The welcoming news is his 2017 season is on track to be arguably his best yet. Was instrumental on Sunday with 27 disposals, eight clearances and five tackles. His quality of use makes him the go-to man in the midfield. He was very good, but not the best player. That should go to Carlton’s Matthew Kreuzer who beat Todd Goldstein.

Have a look at the replies to these posts, bitching about the umpires.

Whatever happens with our season in terms of win/loss - we have already proved that we did the right thing in the off season and the media are starting to love our list and the way we play.

This could work out for us very nicely in the recruiting game as we all know the media play a huge part in how desirable a club is to go to and for years have put us down as having no young talent and ageing stars.

Another few good scalps will give our recruiting guys a good chance to get the job done

The talk of bottom 4 or even bottom 2 at the start of the season damaged our image. We're repairing it slowly now by grinding out wins and showing offield ambition. Hopefully the 5k who jumped off at the start of the year will be keen to get back on now

Frees C v NM

1Q 2-10
2Q 12-15
3Q 19-20
4Q 21-24

We got them when we put the pressure on. Same as every week that we've done it. They can whinge all they like, but we are startign to prove that pressure=frees every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3:24 in the AFL's Access All Areas video - the panel begins to recognise the depth of talent we have in our team.

Now all they need to do to gain a little of my respect:
1. Realise the sheer number of quality players we had injured as our season imploded last year, and
2. Recognise the quality of our list managment, with the players we've acquired whilst preserving our key draft picks.

Just prior to our segment, they also said a few kind words about our boy Josh.

3:24 in the AFL's Access All Areas video - the panel begins to recognise the depth of talent we have in our team.

Now all they need to do to gain a little of my respect:
1. Realise the sheer number of quality players we had injured as our season imploded last year, and
2. Recognise the quality of our list managment, with the players we've acquired whilst preserving our key draft picks.

Just prior to our segment, they also said a few kind words about our boy Josh.
Given the time they allot to each game and team I think they did okay. Fits my 'six months lag' rule with AFL media.

Not really. The public image sets in and we're made to look like idiots. Tis the way with us "ugly" lot.
Unfortunately, we can't control it. We always have to do it the hard way, not like some other teams.

Oh god I am getting sick of Slobbo. For nearly one hour he has been ranting.... and raving more than usual.

"If a house was burning down Joel Selwood would be there in first to get the children out"

And then on Sat the whole love fest over Hawthorn on SEN was sickening. They spent so much time talking about them. And the drooling was sickening.

Oh god I am getting sick of Slobbo. For nearly one hour he has been ranting.... and raving more than usual.

"If a house was burning down Joel Selwood would be there in first to get the children out"

Smoke rises and Joel would be able to duck down below it.

Think the media are starting to realize we've been pretty consistent and are a pretty honest team.
We just lack that star player that the commentators can wax on about.
Hopefully Ahern has a good run at it next year and we can add some free agents with some polish and the one area the media can criticize (midfield) starts to look a bit more quick and classy.

Liked these Titus O'Reilly quotes within the WCE v GWS game notes...

"I’m required by an AFL directive to mention the Giants were undermanned in this game, meaning they had to play some younger first round superstars instead of the injured ones.

The same AFL directive says I must mention that Alex Rance is arguably the best fullback of all time, even though this isn’t a section about Richmond."

https://titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-ten-1#sthash.RsR9DNO0.dpuf

Last edited:

And then on Sat the whole love fest over Hawthorn on SEN was sickening. They spent so much time talking about them. And the drooling was sickening.
Slobbo would be passed out on the couch.

unnamed (6).gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back