Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've noticed about Carey. Lots of people get angsty that he doesn't say 'north' or 'North Melbourne' very much. It's true he barely ever does.

But I've noticed on the Pick a Winner videos on the afl website he pretty much refers to all clubs by their nicknames.

"The Power should be able to beat the Bombers even away from home" ect

I think people have misinterpreted this from Carey. Kingy on the other hand says Kangaroos even when it sounds super clunky: "The Kangaroos ball movement according to champion data has the lowest effectiveness differential and the Kangaroos will be concerned about this." Etc

Maybe I'm wrong. Carey has also slowly been increasing his use of 'North'. Personally I love his work in the media - astute, interesting, no bulshit and weirdly quite erudite. Kingy is a sycophantic overanalyst who makes me want to rip my ears off when he starts talking.

100% agree with this, Carey likes to use club nicknames a whole lot, not sure why people get worked up by this - possibly a case of confirmation bias here. I like Carey because he likes to "diplomatically" come to bat for North and he does it intellectually rather than through emotional hyperbole. Loved him calling out other commentators about double standards with Lindsay, BT on North crowds, etc. He also understands what sells and doesn't, and he makes some "controversial" calls that knows will make channels like Bigfooty explode, such as the "Sam Mitchell is a one way player and will get exposed on another team" comment even though he isn't incorrect but can see everyone missing the point and overreacting. I can really see how he would have been as a leader on the footy field with how persuasive, charismatic, and intelligent he is as a commentator/media personality.

Something I've noticed about Carey. Lots of people get angsty that he doesn't say 'north' or 'North Melbourne' very much. It's true he barely ever does.

But I've noticed on the Pick a Winner videos on the afl website he pretty much refers to all clubs by their nicknames.

I think people have misinterpreted this from Carey. Kingy on the other hand says Kangaroos even when it sounds super clunky: "The Kangaroos ball movement according to champion data has the lowest effectiveness differential and the Kangaroos will be concerned about this." Etc

Maybe I'm wrong. Carey has also slowly been increasing his use of 'North'. Personally I love his work in the media - astute, interesting, no bulshit and weirdly quite erudite. Kingy is a sycophantic overanalyst who makes me want to rip my ears off when he starts talking.
I dont have much an issue if anyone calls us the Kangaroos.

Plus the guy is a king and sticks up for the club so he can call us whatever he wants as far as I am concerned.

My dad who's a Saints fan loves him in the media and he doesnt like too many heh.

Just saw a clip from The Sunday Footy Show of resident buffoon Billy Brownless going through his "5 softest AFL moments".

Obviously it was done to stitch up Lloyd and Nathan Brown with a couple of softish moments, but their was one incident that always makes my blood boil.

They showed the Barry Hall coward punch on Brent Staker and I thought maybe they will finally highlight this for what it is. But no, they showed Hunter from the Eagles running in to remonstrate and collapsing at the knees and laughed at how soft it was.

The fact that these mental giants can have a good laugh at a guy getting king hit, especially now when coward punches have been called out for what they are, it is a disgrace.

Great job channel 9 and the morons that produce that garbage.

Just saw a clip from The Sunday Footy Show of resident buffoon Billy Brownless going through his "5 softest AFL moments".

Obviously it was done to stitch up Lloyd and Nathan Brown with a couple of softish moments, but their was one incident that always makes my blood boil.

They showed the Barry Hall coward punch on Brent Staker and I thought maybe they will finally highlight this for what it is. But no, they showed Hunter from the Eagles running in to remonstrate and collapsing at the knees and laughed at how soft it was.

The fact that these mental giants can have a good laugh at a guy getting king hit, especially now when coward punches have been called out for what they are, it is a disgrace.

Imagine the reputation Lindsay Thomas would have eternally if he had done the same as Barry.
I think it's one of the most sickening moments in AFL history , and I can't for the life of me see how it's shrugged under the carpet with minimal tarnish to his reputation.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bang on the money....POTY contender for mine

100% agree with this, Carey likes to use club nicknames a whole lot, not sure why people get worked up by this - possibly a case of confirmation bias here. I like Carey because he likes to "diplomatically" come to bat for North and he does it intellectually rather than through emotional hyperbole. Loved him calling out other commentators about double standards with Lindsay, BT on North crowds, etc. He also understands what sells and doesn't, and he makes some "controversial" calls that knows will make channels like Bigfooty explode, such as the "Sam Mitchell is a one way player and will get exposed on another team" comment even though he isn't incorrect but can see everyone missing the point and overreacting. I can really see how he would have been as a leader on the footy field with how persuasive, charismatic, and intelligent he is as a commentator/media personality.
Great post. He's an outstanding pundit....has come a long way

AFL media. The double-standards centre of the world.

Dermott Brereton. I've been thinking about how I can explain how floggish and annoying this knob really is. Then it came to me this morning.
He's as annoying as any Billy Joel song, especially anything with an a'cappella bit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dermott Breteton. I've been thinking about how I can explain how floggish and annoying this knob really is.
So, what you're saying is that if you could take just one commentator to base your worst commentating team around, he'd be it?

Then it came to me this morning. He's as annoying as any Billy Joel song, especially anything with an a'cappella bit.
You may be right. Thinks he's a big shot, and has for the longest time.

BT during the live broadcast, Adam Gilchrist about to take the plunge into the ice water for MND.

Adam Gilchrist takes the dive:

BT's commentary: "Gilchrist would have never seen ice like that except maybe during celebrations after an ashes victory"

That might not be exact word for word but it was along those lines.

WTF?

BT during the live broadcast, Adam Gilchrist about to take the plunge into the ice water for MND.

Adam Gilchrist takes the dive:

BT's commentary: "Gilchrist would have never seen ice like that except maybe during celebrations after an ashes victory"

That might not be exact word for word but it was along those lines.

WTF?
I think he was referring to ice from an esky, drinking beers and all that.

Still a bloody weird thing to say.

Could have thought he was mates with Benny

i wonder if they'll commentate about the crowd today...is it a pass mark? is it enough to keep it on next year? will the afl use different teams in future years?....of course not. If it was north though "ohh hmmm disappointing crowd tonight, should rotate with different teams each year"

Last edited:
i wonder if they'll commentate about the crowd today...is it a pass mark? is it enough to keep it on next year? will the afl use different teams in future years?....of course not. If it was north though "ohh hmmm disappointing crowd tonight, should rotate with different teams each year"
Pardon? They have mentioned the crowd, 69,000 and growing before the game, which is surely very good for a holiday weekend and a smaller club playing. The annual free hit for Melbourne always used to annoy me, but they are finally doing a good job with it. If North got around 70K on a holiday, even against Collingwood, I think everyone would be delighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back