Moved Thread Commentary is on the slide

Remove this Banner Ad

Doggy doo doo

All Australian
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it just me or has commentary on both channel 7 and foxtel turned sour.
I enjoy the commentary for the cricket,NRL,formula 1, soccer and most other sports but seriously Huddo,Shaw,Brereton,Bruce,Dunstall to name a few are a blight on the game and are all hacks.
Sorry forgot about Eddie and Eddie its David mundy not Daniel ,Crowley not crawley,Liam picken not Liam Pickering and mzungu not muzungo.
I miss quatermain and the excitement his commentary brought to a Saturday night.
So I was just wondering if any body had the same feelings

Problem is that today's commentators are trying to be media personalities rather than sporting commentators.
Pros like Morphett who've been doing it forever must hate hearing these buffoons butcher the call.

Hudson and McGuire (and Cometti to a lesser extent) are the only respectable TV commentators right now. BT, Dwayne, Darcy, Zempilas, Rompingwins, Shaw and Dunstall are the main offenders of the shocking decline in commentary.

Bruce and Dennis are a bit of a parody but they give good emotion, speak eloquently and, most importantly, they really do know their stuff.

Channel 7 have gotten a few things right. Cameron Ling and Matthew Richardson come across as genuinely warm people, and their special comments show that. They're more interested in discussing the game rather than giving themselves airtime just for the sake of it. The same cannot be said for other young commentators like Luke Darcy and Nathan Brown.

I think a problem is that commentators listen to Friday night on Triple M, which is the only somewhat funny football commentary that actually works, and they try to replicate it when they just don't have the personalities to pull it off.

And yes to the Port fan who brought this up, I feel for you. They always * up Port Adelaide names and it's bloody annoying, particularly since I am hardly a PA expert but would like to actually know the young kids.

Hudson and McGuire (and Cometti to a lesser extent) are the only respectable TV commentators right now. BT, Dwayne, Darcy, Zempilas or Rompingwins, Shaw and Dunstall are the main offenders of the shocking decline in commentary.

I didn't like him on Channel 10 because I felt like his personality was just a bit weak to be leading a commentary team and there was too much Geelong bias but I think he's improved significantly since making the move to Fox.

McGuire is very good and the right call was made in keeping him away from Pies games. Allows his strengths to flourish and his warm-hearted appreciation of the game comes to the fore.

Hudson is hot and cold depending on who he is with, he gets a bit too giddy when with Derm but is impressive as a play-by-play caller regardless and has excellent knowledge of the game.

Cometti has actually dialled it back a bit and been quite solid so far this year.

Fox Footy should really try and get Whateley for weekends. I would prefer for him to remain on the ABC but he'd improve Foxtel's coverage tenfold.

Is it just me or has commentary on both channel 7 and foxtel turned sour.
I enjoy the commentary for the cricket,NRL,formula 1, soccer and most other sports but seriously Huddo,Shaw,Brereton,Bruce,Dunstall to name a few are a blight on the game and are all hacks.
Sorry forgot about Eddie and Eddie its David mundy not Daniel ,Crowley not crawley,Liam picken not Liam Pickering and mzungu not muzungo.
I miss quatermain and the excitement his commentary brought to a Saturday night.
So I was just wondering if any body had the same feelings

Surely you jest. Surely.

Hudson and McGuire (and Cometti to a lesser extent) are the only respectable TV commentators right now. BT, Dwayne, Darcy, Zempilas or Rompingwins, Shaw and Dunstall are the main offenders of the shocking decline in commentary.

Agree !!!

They need match commentators who do just that, call the game only.

Cut down on all of the ancillary personnel (eg. boundary riders, medicos, stats gurus, kettle boilers & finger-nail painters) and just have one (1) special comments person. This person's job is to tell us things that are actual insights into the game as opposed to the current trend of giving us the goddam bleeding obvious.

Cameron Ling seems like a nice enough guy but for him to tell us that the media was locked out of the Melbourne rooms after the demolition Friday night was literally insulting our intelligence. They could of given me a microphone here in my loungeroom in Sydney and I could of told you that too !!

Peter Larkins telling me that if Jolly has a punctured lung he'll have to go to hospital is bordering on Mensa like behaviour.

Get back to the basics, forget all the bum-licking ('special'), inane waffle ('wowee, Big Boy McEvoy'), nick-name calling ('Hey Darce, speak to Lingy, Kingy & The Chief now') and faux comedy routines ('boomtish'), just tell us what is happening, not what you wish was happening !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Donegan who commentates VFL on ABC is very good. No "look at me aren't I funny, witty and incredibly knowledgable" attitude like we get from Brian Taylor and Luke Darcy. Shame the AFL couldn't be on ABC. Would be less overall wanking about everything and no ******ed camera angles.

I love the 100 camera angles....for replays. Keep to a standard camera on the wing for watching the match, and sometimes a different one for goals if it helps.

The ABC commentary is nice, although I honestly think if you put that into the AFL many young people would find it a bit dull. Hard to win all demographics though.

The same names come up on every thread similar to this one:
Hudson, McGuire, Whately. Unfortunate there aren't more like them.

On a side note I honestly believe that Bruce McAveney is one of the greatest sports callers in the world. His knowledge is unbelievable and passion can't be questioned. I'll admit he gets carried away too often, but his credentials can't be denied.

Whately is brilliant on the radio. He actually calls the play mentioning positioning on the ground, what's happening upfield, time on the clock, and ball handling/disposal etc. Most just shout a chain of names and stupid stuff like "look at this". Well clearly we can't since we're listening on radio.

On a side note I honestly believe that Bruce McAveney is one of the greatest sports callers in the world. His knowledge is unbelievable and passion can't be questioned. I'll admit he gets carried away too often, but his credentials can't be denied.

dunno about Bruce being the best any more, his last 2 olympics have been s**t

If Gerard Healy calls Matthew Boyd 'Brad Boyd' again I think I'll be sick. He's the captain of an AFL club ffs.

Problem is that today's commentators are trying to be media personalities rather than sporting commentators.
Pros like Morphett who've been doing it forever must hate hearing these buffoons butcher the call.

Can't stand Morphett's whiney voice. He is also very negative at times and brings the whole "feel" of the game down with his carping criticisms.

its pretty insulting that the people hired and paid good money to call the game DONT EVEN KNOW THE PLAYERS NAMES. WTF, how is this allowed, its the basics of commentary to know the persons name you are speaking about. heres an idea, stop hiring ex football mongoloids and actually hire someone intelligent to call games, you dont need to have played footy to be passionate about it, id prefer someone who knows the players, isnt bias, isnt a little b*tch (looking at you luke darcy) over these meatheads we have in the box at the moment. why is BT calling a football game? bloke is a bloody clown, he should be embarressed about the way he carries on making up nicknames and sh*t.

cameron ling can stay, the rest need to get out.

FIGJAM Commetti is the worst. He clearly thinks he's god's gift to sports commentary and I'm sure the other morons in the box with him are paid to laugh at his shitty jokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back