Moved Thread Commentary is on the slide

Remove this Banner Ad

The BT and Darcy team is the worst I can ever remember. Cult of personality reigns supreme. I watched the Wallabies/Lions game last week (I don't follow the Union), was so nice to hear a game called with a great balance of analysis, excitement and professionalism.

I don't think Gordon Brey called a player by his nickname once...what an achievement.

Do people actually like the style of BT and co.?
Calling players by nicknames (everyones a mate...like Hawthorn Captain Luke Hodgey and reigning Brownlow Medalist Jobe, not to mention Dane Swanny...), clear agendas and axes to grind, 'hilarious' and constantly reiterated in-jokes and ridiculously over the top proclaiming of doom or grandeur.

Does this actually appeal to masses?..

The BT and Darcy team is the worst I can ever remember. Cult of personality reigns supreme. I watched the Wallabies/Lions game last week (I don't follow the Union), was so nice to hear a game called with a great balance of analysis, excitement and professionalism.

I don't think Gordon Brey called a player by his nickname once...what an achievement.

Do people actually like the style of BT and co.?
Calling players by nicknames (everyones a mate...like Hawthorn Captain Luke Hodgey and reigning Brownlow Medalist Jobe, not to mention Dane Swanny...), clear agendas and axes to grind, 'hilarious' and constantly reiterated in-jokes and ridiculously over the top proclaiming of doom or grandeur.

Does this actually appeal to masses?..

To 10 year old kids, yes.

If only they could get the commentary right and the combinations with special comments right it would increase the enjoyment of the telecast ten fold

You look at the golf -i enjoy it so much more when they have got Nick Faldo commentating -hes a brilliant commentator -hes got the track record 5 or 6 majors -he doesnt talk rubbish-he really adds something to the coverage

Contrast that to the Port/ Collingwood game yesterday -all i heard Ricciuto and Cam Mooney say all day long was Hey boys-hey boyslook at this -hey boys hey boys hey boys- the next afl commentator who says Hey Boys -they ought to shoot him

tumblr_m57xd65swZ1qjvxfho1_500.jpg

Channel 7's Saturday night team are an embarrassment

BT - Oh boy wow wee
Darcy - has there ever been a more sanctimonious sob than this twit?
Ling - just barely tolerable
Richo - footy's version of a dumb blonde
Lane - why?

Seven's Saturday nights are so bad I opted to watch Melbourne v Bulldogs last night instead, made the right choice in the end despite a boring first three quarters.

Serious question, does anybody think there's a chance for me, an aspiring sports journalist in the media, to become a footballer commentator? I commentate all games I watch (in my head), and without tooting my own horn, feel like I do a good job, much better than what Basil, Hamish and certainly BT offer. Or am I already without a hope as I am obviously never going to be an ex-AFL player/personality.

Jakey Carlisle and Jakey Melsham say Hi :)

I'm pretty sure it was Brendan Goddard last year, went down like a sack of spuds holding his leg - BT and co. went absolutely mental - crossed to known medical expert Dr. Matthew Richardson for an opinion and he declared that Goddard could have a compound fracture/full knee reco/leg amputation?

He came back on like 10 minutes later.

Talking for the sake of talking.

I'm pretty sure it was Brendan Goddard last year, went down like a sack of spuds holding his leg - BT and co. went absolutely mental - crossed to known medical expert Dr. Matthew Richardson for an opinion and he declared that Goddard could have a compound fracture/full knee reco/leg amputation?

He came back on like 10 minutes later.

Talking for the sake of talking.

BT did the same on Thursday night with Crameri.

"It's an achilles boys"

"Look at it, a dreaded achilles"

"He's gone"

He wants to be the first to proclaim a season/career ending injury, probably so his voice will be hear when if it gets replayed multiples times on news services.

Then when it was revealed that it was Crameri's ankle, no retraction, sorry i got it wrong, or "gees, that's a much better outcome than an achilles".

BT is bottom dweller.

The commentators do an OK job. It's hard to polish a turd given some of the product they have to call.

Bruce Mc is the only one I wish would just * right off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The commentators do an OK job. It's hard to polish a turd given some of the product they have to call.

Bruce Mc is the only one I wish would just **** right off.

I was extremely drunk last night and in my state I figured out why commentary is so s**t, and you've touched on it here Gus Poyet.

The product has become worse; there are 4 dead rubbers every week (GWS, MFC, WB, etc), and the commentators, particularly channel 7 commentators, simply don't know how to commentate on these one-sided matches. They end up cheering for GWS (or other s**t team), or patronising them, or talking inanely amongst themselves, or joking awkwardly, because they don't know what else to talk about. What do you do? Keep sinking the boot in?

The hiring of boofheads (BT), has-beens (Bruce) and morons (Richo) has exacerbated the poor commentary, but I think the problem is primarily derived from the diminishing product of AFL.

I watched footy flashbacks today- 1977 Granny Nth v Coll

Mean to say- the commentary was very reactive- this happens, that happens, this happens and so on. No speculation, so suggestion of what might happen, should happen, ought to happen. No-one saying 'Blight has been quiet, should play up the ground," "Someone should get on Rene Kink, shut him down etc," "Next goal is important- Coll haven't scored for 38 mins"

Pretty boring call. They are bad today, but were they worse then? Have our standards simply lifted?

The BT and Darcy team is the worst I can ever remember. Cult of personality reigns supreme.

It might just be me, but I thought your personality had to be somewhat charismatic or likeable for this to make sense. According to the execs at 7, obviously not...

Yep, the AFL can take take a leaf out of American sports in this regards. Don't know why commentators have to necessarily be ex-footballers, should be scouring the land looking for personalities that can make a game more interesting. We need more Dennis Commetti's for sure.

Channel 7's Saturday night team are an embarrassment

BT - Oh boy wow wee
Darcy - has there ever been a more sanctimonious sob than this twit?
Ling - just barely tolerable
Richo - footy's version of a dumb blonde
Lane - why?
A team in need of relegation if ever there was.
Ling seems to try and be professional but he's prompted by these tools.
It's little wonder Aker wasn't about to sit back and take listening to twats like Luke Darcy.
Cannot stand Darcy, just goes off like he's gods gift to footy half the time.

I like Dermie, he knows his stuff but don't give him too much camera time or allow him to speak on half/quarter time banter breaks, I really cringe as he tries to be chummy with lads half his age.

Yes and never give Dermie a white board and a crayon. He'll do a Picasso, and think he's describing football strtegies , when really there is only one. Get the ball and kick a goal;.

Is it just me or has commentary on both channel 7 and foxtel turned sour.
I enjoy the commentary for the cricket,NRL,formula 1, soccer and most other sports but seriously Huddo,Shaw,Brereton,Bruce,Dunstall to name a few are a blight on the game and are all hacks.
Sorry forgot about Eddie and Eddie its David mundy not Daniel ,Crowley not crawley,Liam picken not Liam Pickering and mzungu not muzungo.
I miss quatermain and the excitement his commentary brought to a Saturday night.
So I was just wondering if any body had the same feelings

Grima should be pronounced Gree-mah.

and the 'gn' in Montagna should be pronounced like that in Lasagna, not tag-nah.

Freakin skip commentators have no clue about southern european names.

Bring in Les.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back