Opinion Commentary & Media II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Wood eager to play more games in 2018 and justify hype at North Melbourne
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
December 7, 2017 6:30pm
Subscriber only
MASON Wood says he is desperate to shrug off his injury-plagued reputation and add firepower to North Melbourne’s dangerous forward line.

The 192cm forward is one of the Kangaroos’ brightest prospects but has played just 26 games in his four seasons at the club.

Wood has signed until 2020 but calf, hamstring and knee injuries mean he has never played more than 10 games in a year.

He would be the perfect foil for full forward Ben Brown, with Shaun Higgins, Taylor Garner, Jy Simpkin and Jarrad Waite all capable of star turns as Roos forwards.

EX-ROOS SKIPPER: SWALLOW FINDS FOOTY HOME IN QLD

GARY BUCKENARA: NORTH MELBOURNE LONG WAY FROM FINALS

But first he must prove he can run out a full year, with a 22-match season his chief goal for 2018.

Wood missed the last third of the season with a knee injury but the 24-year-old told the Herald Sun he was desperate to build some resilience.

“My body is a million dollars at the minute which is great,’’ he said.

“I had the last eight weeks of the season off for the last two years which hasn’t been ideal. But the focus of the off-season was to make myself as durable as possible.

329dd48e78b8309d8069a284ccda64de

North Melbourne has battled injuries in his four seasons at North Melbourne. Picture: Michael Klein
“A couple of years ago the medial ligament was a freak injury and last year my injuries were all preventable so that’s the off-season focus.

“Rather than getting a lot of running in or working on upper body strength, its about getting my hips, joints and my calf as strong as possible.”

Many Roos have used the club’s patented KangaTech system to strengthen bodies through a combination of training and core work.

Wood is desperate to play more games not only with Brown but also high-flying medium-sized forward Taylor Garner.

“Taylor was a top-20 pick and I would say one of the most explosive and tenacious players in the AFL,’’ he said.

“When he hits you at training you know you have been hit and you have seen that in games so if he can get consistent footy it’s a really exciting forward line.

“It ticks a lot of boxes and going forward it will be hard to get a spot in that forward line but I am hoping to cement one early in the season.”

Over Christmas Wood will move in with Simpkin and captain Jack Ziebell and will continue to work on the last third of a sports science degree.

96bebf4b85ee872612f930207205393f

Wood wants his body to be more durable. Picture: Michael Klein
He knows fans have expected a lot of him given his huge talent and hopes he can justify the hype in coming years.

“I guess 26 games leading into my fifth year isn’t ideal by any stretch of the imagination,” he said.

“Getting a four-year deal a year ago, I am looking forward to paying back that faith and having a good crack.

“Last year I made it through the whole pre-season and stumbled in the second JLT game.

“You look at what this year could have been but by the end of my career I want to say I have put together some consistent footy, which at this stage I haven’t been able to do.”

Meh. Sam Newman was right, Caro knows nothing about football.

She knows about the industry behind the game but nothing about the game itself. Can anyone ever recall her writing or commenting about a team's on-field performance, style of play, strengths or weaknesses?

Caro is essentially a gossip journalist, only writing about scandals, coaches getting sacked etc. Her pieces almost always have a negative angle around them, feel good stories are not her bag. I'm not saying that there isn't a place for these stories but I would have thought that Chief Football writer would be required to have a more balanced outlook and also be able to analyse the game itself.

Did laugh when she wrote about Jake Niall breaking the story about Hird's sacking, "and he was right!" It's like a journo getting a story right is an exception.

She knows about the industry behind the game but nothing about the game itself. Can anyone ever recall her writing or commenting about a team's on-field performance, style of play, strengths or weaknesses?

Caro is essentially a gossip journalist, only writing about scandals, coaches getting sacked etc. Her pieces almost always have a negative angle around them, feel good stories are not her bag. I'm not saying that there isn't a place for these stories but I would have thought that Chief Football writer would be required to have a more balanced outlook and also be able to analyse the game itself.

Did laugh when she wrote about Jake Niall breaking the story about Hird's sacking, "and he was right!" It's like a journo getting a story right is an exception.
There's nothing to say the chief football writer has to be able to write about the actual game, because, you know, they have other people to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to veiw any paywalled newspaper article open chrome in incognito mode, google search the article's title (IMPORTANT: do not just copy paste anything, it wont work.)
The google results will have a viewable version of the article.

Edit: for the Mase article i went incognito and googled "mason wood hype north melbourne" and was able to open it.

If you want to veiw any paywalled newspaper article open chrome in incognito mode, google search the article's title (IMPORTANT: do not just copy paste anything, it wont work.)
The google results will have a viewable version of the article.

Edit: for the Mase article i went incognito and googled "mason wood hype north melbourne" and was able to open it.
Don’t need to be incognito for it to work. But normally you can only open the article once, the second time the paywall picks it up for some reason.

IIRC * swiped at The Age for being wrong on the timing of that one, so it's delayed payback?

Nice that she said she enjoyed Pagan (even if he called her Flossie and said she only had a job because her dad carried Francis Bourke's bags). And nice things to say about a few other people in her last column too.

I can't forget the "pipe dream" campaign she ran, but also can't say it's great that off field footy journalism is left with Barrett and Hutchy going through people's bins. She found a beat that no-one else was covering, made it a thing, and no-one else can do the same thing half as well. And anyone Emma Quayle admires and Sam Newman loathes can't be 100% bad.

IIRC * swiped at The Age for being wrong on the timing of that one, so it's delayed payback?

Nice that she said she enjoyed Pagan (even if he called her Flossie and said she only had a job because her dad carried Francis Bourke's bags). And nice things to say about a few other people in her last column too.

I can't forget the "pipe dream" campaign she ran, but also can't say it's great that off field footy journalism is left with Barrett and Hutchy going through people's bins. She found a beat that no-one else was covering, made it a thing, and no-one else can do the same thing half as well. And anyone Emma Quayle admires and Sam Newman loathes can't be 100% bad.

Problem with Caro is that she barracks for the scandalous and negative stories, with Narrier second thought for the fans of the game.

She has never really acknowledged her part in the Gold Coast saga, other than hide behind her sources at the time. Caro is cold blooded, she championed for our murder on behalf of the AFL, but never tried to show any balance by lamenting the potential loss of a historic club or the affects it might have on the club's supporters. Let's not forget her blatant lies about the playing group being in support of relocation.

In fact, she states in this article that "good stories are often not happy ones." Then she proceeds to list a number of these unhappy stories, such as drug cheats and salary cap cheats but no mention of the year long war she waged on us. I truly believe that Caro despises us because we made her look silly.

Last edited:
Problem with Caro is that she barracks for the scandalous and negative stories, with Narrier second thought for the fans of the game.

She has never really acknowledged her part in the Gold Coast saga, other than hide behind her sources at the time. Caro is cold blooded, she championed for our murder on behalf of the AFL, but never tried to show any balance by lamenting the potential loss of a historic club or the affects it might have on the club's supporters. Let's not forget her blatant lies about the playing group being in support of relocation.

In fact, she states in this article that "good stories are often not happy ones." Then she proceeds to list a number of these unhappy stories, such as drug cheats and salary cap cheats but no mention of the year long war she waged on us. I truly believe that Caro despises us because we made her look silly.

Well said Arden - you do have a serious side after all.

The writer who mouthpieced Kim Jong Demetriou's death sentence agenda for us, railed against a "disgusting chicken video" but either ignored or feather touched Sylvia, Broad et al.. yeh good riddance.

A nasty minded puppet who leaves an equally biased protege in Lane in her place.

Wish she'd ghostwritten under a male pseudonym so criticisms against her weren't derailed by gender arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back