Opinion Commentary & Media II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem with David King's comments. I'm tipping others will take issue with them.

well it's a terribly simplistic view on what 'caused' where we are today.

Who would've thought that when all the old guys and best players on our list retired....we'd end up lower on the ladder :O

it's hardly a 'the truth hurts' it's more 'well der' - the only thing that would've ever stopped this is attaining some quality FA's, which we tried.

most of his article is "north were rated x in stoppages...so they need better mids and rated x in defense...so they need better defense"....how many times have these out of context stats been debunked? every team, even the premiers, are going to be high somewhere and low somewhere else - he just blurts out useless stats and draws an obvious conclusion.

Truth hurts. We were top 4 for 2 years then during the early part of 2016, noone wanted to agree with the outside notion that the cliff was coming.

But here we are. He's justified to query whether there was a strong foundation for the future in place.
I don't agree at all with yours or David King's assessment.

We went all-in for a flag in that period, and got close. And when it became clear in mid-late 2016 that it wasn't going to happen, we saw the cliff, and pushed some of our oldest players off it. It was a clear understanding that we weren't going to win the flag, so let's start planning for the next one.

Not seeing the cliff would have been to re-sign those guys for one more year.

And indeed, our chase for Kelly and Martin last year shows the club's internal assessment (we lack the top-level players that we need to rise back up the ladder) is bang-on.

I do share your concerns about whether there is a strong foundation for the future, but that's because we haven't been great at developing players into fully-fledged elites for some years. But that's a separate issue.

sad but a blokes gotta make a living, remember grima went there for a few sheckles as well.
Who's Grima, I remember Blake, but I forgot the other one sometime around 2016.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King, Herald Sun

HOW did North Melbourne get here? The internal assessment of where the Kangaroos thought they resided on the AFL landscape was horribly wrong, and now unfortunately it’s as bad as it gets.Disagree with that, we knew, just rolled the dice and I see know problem with that. it's not like we had stockpiled early picks and were waiting for them to blossom- I personally enjoyed making two prelims.

Eight wins from the past 34 matches endorses the notion that the back-to-to back preliminary final seasons of 2014-15 were built on a house of cards. Yep and once we realised it was over the club made some very tough decisions, which they copped plenty over. It would seem we are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

There have been no advantages taken at the national draft as teams situated around them have had more early selections recently. Consider that Brisbane has had five selections in the top 20 picks in the past two drafts compared with the Kangaroos’ two.

Agree we are risk averse at trade time and I couldn't give a flying * if you disagree............ you are wrong!!

The Roos were the poorest clearance team in the league last season, which is surprising given the senior core players such as Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins and Jack Ziebell were mainstays around the contest. JZ should be a high HF, Cunners is class along with Higgins, plenty of better mids playing elswhere weekly. Any real North person wouldn't be suprised.

It’s Russian roulette at stoppages, either the Kangaroos score or their opposition does. Yeah we do seem to lack structure, can't argue with that.

North is the AFL’s fourth poorest defence from stoppages and third poorest on turnovers at denying opposition ball movement. There’s much work to be done and, given its link to success recently, it highlights just how far away North is from a sustainable competitive model. See your bloody midfield quote, Jack Dyer always said it's hard to score if you don't have the ball. Our backline would be very competitive if we had a decent midfield.

1bbe1809698f937366958add61df508a

They are way too easy to play against. Yep covered that

They play a transition ball game, with less forward-half press, which appears to be the model Richmond, Adelaide and Port Adelaide are wedded to. we are trying to improve our spread along with our run and carry game. I like it

towards influencing mid-forward types such as Jy Simpkin and Luke Davies-Uniacke. But there is a dearth of quality midfielders coming through. We never had the picks where we could snaffle an A grade gun mid since Cunners- what? seven years ago.

Can see the headlines now: Roos shock Pies! Anyway, a promising season and another in 2019 means they will have cash in hand when they once again go after Josh Kelly. Yeah not banking on many wins and beating the Pies carries no weight, they're mired up to their own necks in s**t.

VERDICT

Will surprise. Well then I'll be surprised.

I am not concerned and feel we are on the right track, two more years of pain though:(

Fair article for the most part.

David King, Herald Sun

HOW did North Melbourne get here? The internal assessment of where the Kangaroos thought they resided on the AFL landscape was horribly wrong, and now unfortunately it’s as bad as it gets.Disagree with that, we knew, just rolled the dice and I see know problem with that. it's not like we had stockpiled early picks and were waiting for them to blossom- I personally enjoyed making two prelims.

Eight wins from the past 34 matches endorses the notion that the back-to-to back preliminary final seasons of 2014-15 were built on a house of cards. Yep and once we realised it was over the club made some very tough decisions, which they copped plenty over. It would seem we are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

There have been no advantages taken at the national draft as teams situated around them have had more early selections recently. Consider that Brisbane has had five selections in the top 20 picks in the past two drafts compared with the Kangaroos’ two.

Agree we are risk averse at trade time and I couldn't give a flying **** if you disagree............ you are wrong!!

The Roos were the poorest clearance team in the league last season, which is surprising given the senior core players such as Ben Cunnington, Shaun Higgins and Jack Ziebell were mainstays around the contest. JZ should be a high HF, Cunners is class along with Higgins, plenty of better mids playing elswhere weekly. Any real North person wouldn't be suprised.

It’s Russian roulette at stoppages, either the Kangaroos score or their opposition does. Yeah we do seem to lack structure, can't argue with that.

North is the AFL’s fourth poorest defence from stoppages and third poorest on turnovers at denying opposition ball movement. There’s much work to be done and, given its link to success recently, it highlights just how far away North is from a sustainable competitive model. See your bloody midfield quote, Jack Dyer always said it's hard to score if you don't have the ball. Our backline would be very competitive if we had a decent midfield.

1bbe1809698f937366958add61df508a

They are way too easy to play against. Yep covered that

They play a transition ball game, with less forward-half press, which appears to be the model Richmond, Adelaide and Port Adelaide are wedded to. we are trying to improve our spread along with our run and carry game. I like it

towards influencing mid-forward types such as Jy Simpkin and Luke Davies-Uniacke. But there is a dearth of quality midfielders coming through. We never had the picks where we could snaffle an A grade gun mid since Cunners- what? seven years ago.

Can see the headlines now: Roos shock Pies! Anyway, a promising season and another in 2019 means they will have cash in hand when they once again go after Josh Kelly. Yeah not banking on many wins and beating the Pies carries no weight, they're mired up to their own necks in s**t.

VERDICT

Will surprise. Well then I'll be surprised.

I am not concerned and feel we are on the right track, two more years of pain though:(

Fair article for the most part.

The only thing I disagree with in all of that is that it will be longer than 2 years of pain unless we get serious at the trade table and bring in the right FA’s.

Audio: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=179919

North tough nut still willing to give his all in 2018

By Justin Talent 39 minutes ago
ziebell__2_.jpg

North Melbourne skipper Jack Ziebell says his highly-regarded attack on the ball will never change, despite an injury-impacted 2017 season.

The 27-year-old missed three of the club’s final six games last season due to a foot complaint and general soreness, which also delayed the midfielder’s start to the 2018 pre-season.

While the thought of being less ferocious approaching the ball to protect himself from injury has crossed Ziebell’s mind over the past 12 months, he believes that altering what is commonly thought to be his greatest strength would only hurt his career at the Roos.

“Some people say you have got to change the way you play your football, but my greatest strength is winning contested football and putting my head over the ball,” the North Melbourne captain told SEN’s Time On with Sam McClure.

“If I don’t do that, I probably won’t get a game.

“I probably have to keep continuing to do that. I find that is one of my greatest strengths for the team, winning that ball and being able to go forward as well and being able to kick a few goals.”

Ziebell says that a better-than-expected return from injury this summer has helped reinforce the idea that his fierce attack on the ball should continue.

“Since Christmas-time I’ve been back doing everything and feeling really fresh, the best I’ve felt body-wise in a couple of years,” he said.

“That has probably allowed me to pick up where I left off.

“Being fit and fresh helps that and that’s my goal this year, to stay as fit as possible and injury-free.”

North Melbourne kick off their 2018 campaign against the Gold Coast Suns in Cairns on Saturday March 24.

The only thing I disagree with in all of that is that it will be longer than 2 years of pain unless we get serious at the trade table and bring in the right FA’s.

Yeah fair point , i just think if it pans out like I feel we should have 3 top ten picks and TT along with some discounted FS selections over the next 24 months.

8 wins from our last 34, we're heading towards priorty pick territory. I think we should be an exciting outfit by 2020 and should start our climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back