Opinion Commentary & Media II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a crass joke. Would you use government to censor such things?

Its not the government tho is it.

He was sacked by a private, profit making organisation because they obviously don't want comments like that associated with their sponsors. That is precisely the sort of laissez-faire market regulated society libertarians like Peter Thiel want. Government mandated unfair dismissal laws might prevent this sort of censorship tho, if he could argue his dismissal was unfair. Its a difficult argument to make.

Anyway its over now and he can head for the dustbin of footy history.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep. By other men. Women are also largely murdered by men. There's bit of a common theme here.

Oh for sure. There is a small minority of men that think is ok or funny to bash, rape, murder women. Or bash, murder men.

They are the biggest problem for all of us to feel safe. But a murder is the same for a man and a woman, no? Neither deserve it, nor is one worse than the other (as a general rule).

wandering123

All Australian
Jul 23, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh for sure. There is a small minority of men that think is ok or funny to bash, rape, murder women. Or bash, murder men.

They are the biggest problem for all of us to feel safe. But a murder is the same for a man and a woman, no? Neither deserve it, nor is one worse than the other (as a general rule).
Well... considering 1 in 3 Australian women have been subject to abuse and 1 in 5 Australian women have been sexually abused, I would suggest that its not a small minority. No doubt it is a minority, but it's unlikely that it's as small as what you think. I think the #notallmen sentiment is largely unhelpful in any case, because no one is actually asserting that all men are violent.

However, there are certainly issues with "toxic masculinity". When the term "toxic masculinity" is used, it doesn't mean that masculinity is bad. It means that certain elements of what society encourages of men are inherently toxic. These include encouraging men to be violent and unemotional. This is what needs to be rectified. There should be absolutely no circumstances when men are encouraged to act with violence towards anyone.

domiroo

It’s a big kick it’s long kick it’s a goal .....
Dec 26, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Catanzaro / Manchester City
Ha umpire turns the game for port Adelaide pricks

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well... considering 1 in 3 Australian women have been subject to abuse and 1 in 5 Australian women have been sexually abused, I would suggest that its not a small minority. No doubt it is a minority, but it's unlikely that it's as small as what you think. I think the #notallmen sentiment is largely unhelpful in any case, because no one is actually asserting that all men are violent.

However, there are certainly issues with "toxic masculinity". When the term "toxic masculinity" is used, it doesn't mean that masculinity is bad. It means that certain elements of what society encourages of men are inherently toxic. These include encouraging men to be violent and unemotional. This is what needs to be rectified. There should be absolutely no circumstances when men are encouraged to act with violence towards anyone.

Well said. And as I’ve previously said the problem certainly comes from the male demographic. We are inherently violent imo and I’ve been thinking about this a lot. My dad for instance is the least violent man I know. He changes the channel when something is “too violent” on tv. Yet he loves boxing. To my way of thinking it has to be to do with our inbuilt hunting/fighting of saber tooth tigers plus societies view we have to be “tough”.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yep. By other men. Women are also largely murdered by men. There's bit of a common theme here.

Yep, looking forward to the Fitzroytonians gathering en masse the next time some bloke gets killed minding his own business.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Is the Fox Team better than Ch 7?

Slightly in front
Well Dwaynker and Gerard are their weakest link. They are bloody annoying. Channel 7 they have Carey and Bartel....and pretty boy from Essendon is ok. The rest by memory are all annoying.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well Dwaynker and Gerard are their weakest link. They are bloody annoying. Channel 7 they have Carey and Bartel....and pretty boy from Essendon is ok. The rest by memory are all annoying.

Even then those 2 aren't too bad. Dwayne rambles on sometimes and I've always liked Gerard Healy. Probably because I like On The Couch.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The narrative regarding Barry Halls terrible comment has moved to murder, rape and domestic violence.
I've never liked the guy, ever.
But I doubt he'd beat up on a woman or forcefully impose himself on one.
Humans make mistakes and most are accountable via consequence and feelings of shame.
Modern society has a habit of blowing out issues further then what they need to be.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Montagne has form too...

Wasn't he the dude that let Milne 'slip in' on the girl he was seeing causing the rape case?

Also, wasn't he front and square in the dwarf burning incident too?

The only one that really escapes any recourse here I think is Barrett. He just laughed while the rest threw their 2 bob in...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
No it was Milne and Clinton Jones.

But him (Joey) and Nick should be sacked for last year's incident at Moorabbin Bowling on their retirement celebrations:

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
No it was Milne and Clinton Jones.

But him (Joey) and Nick should be sacked for last year's incident at Moorabbin Bowling on their retirement celebrations:

An earlier committal hearing was told that Milne's accuser had believed she was having sex with Montagna.
She and a female friend had been sharing a bed with the two players in a darkened room at the Highett home.
Montagna told the hearing he believed no one had been forced to have sex against their will on the night.

Sounds like Montagna and Milne played swapsies without the girls knowing. The indecent assault was at Montagnas house too.

As I said, form is there imo.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Where is the reference for those stats if you have it?

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Even then those 2 aren't too bad. Dwayne rambles on sometimes and I've always liked Gerard Healy. Probably because I like On The Couch.
Oh I can't stand both of them....but moreso Dwaynker than Healy. Healy is just way past his used by date and when he has our games he talks about the other team the whole game.

Dwaynker is just cringeworthy and a real knob.

Heh but that's just how I see them :)

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
An earlier committal hearing was told that Milne's accuser had believed she was having sex with Montagna.
She and a female friend had been sharing a bed with the two players in a darkened room at the Highett home.
Montagna told the hearing he believed no one had been forced to have sex against their will on the night.

Sounds like Montagna and Milne played swapsies without the girls knowing. The indecent assault was at Montagnas house too.

As I said, form is there imo.

I forgot about that.....incident to whatever happened.

But yeh the dwarf incident was the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back