Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I would put in Larkey to help him. Brown started the game very well, funny thing is he doesnt seem to the the dead eye he once was and I havent marked it down as a goal 35metres out like I used to. His first point was excellent he did about three different leads and then was hit up on the run. Great, this is what he has to do, and this is the delivery that is required...

Yep, Drew was chucked in, had his ups and downs, but learnt the trade in the AFL, not playing down wherever; give Souva a run

We might well be 0 and 6, as we will be underdogs against all of the Crows, Bombers, and Power. This Saturday is probable our most likely win but I wouldn't be surprised if the game against the Blues in round 7 is the battle of the winless.

Likely?

How’s that?

I can’t see a win until...maybe....Hobart

We look as brittle as balsa wood

Likely?

How’s that?

I meant the most likely of those 3, but fully expect the Crows to win fairly comfortably. The Bombers will run us off our feet on the Docklands deck and the Power will replicate the JLT, so if we can't beat the Crows at home, gonna be a 17th vs 18th blockbuster against the Blues. At least we know Carltank won't tank this year after handing over their first rounder. :drunk:

Ben Brown has been poor since mid last year and that's over and above gameplan or team delivery.

Some of Carey's critique is accurate.

However - he is not who I'd be singling out. Plenty of candidates for scrutiny ahead of a bloke grinding out 17km a game as a KPF.
Agree with that KC. I think there is also an element of Carey genuinely wanting BBB to be one of the top forwards in the comp. I get the sense that he would love to be doing some one-on-one coaching with him.

Likely?

How’s that?

Dont expect Bloodstone to be the fortress it has been. With no aerial dominance we will suck, the team who controls the sky takes the W there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, all this criticism of Ben Brown is a bit wide of the mark for mine and lazy punditry really. Eg. he's poor below his knees. I think he's excellent below his knees for a 200 cm player and kicks a lot of crumbing goals and snaps. Plus he's getting double and triple teamed because the opposition realise he's the the only real aerial threat. Also a victim of poor delivery as you say. I thought he played well on Sunday, never stopped trying. I'd like to see Larkey given a go for the rest of the season as our long term forward line success largely hinges on those two developing some chemistry.

The thing is this, he generally marks it or brings the ball to ground, but do we play with crumbers at his feet? Nooooooooo.

Then folks complain that Turner etc, aren't getting enough goals.:rolleyes:

It's the entire defensive mindset that severely negates our forwards because we usually sacrifice a player for the defensive support!

I say if the opposition put 7 back there in our forward line, WE put 7 back there, and back in a one on one defensive group along with the outside mids in support.

Geez, Jamie, I think I want my vice-captain to be ******* livid at losing three games and absolutely desperate to win. Not "oh yeah,winning would be nice, I guess"....

You would honestly hope a leader of our club would have the attitude that EVERY friggin game is a MUST win no matter what! Disappointing comment no matter which way you look at it.

Too many players on our list just don’t want it enough and therein lies the main problem I think.

I don't think the admin has ever needed to stand in the way as Brad Scott made it very clear from the day he started that he didn't want Wayne Carey in the football department.

What Brad Scott wants is fast approaching an end date.

The members ultimately control this club, although you wouldn't think so the way he conducts himself.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04...ies-as-to-why-north-melbourne-are-struggling/

TERRY WALLACE'S TWO THEORIES AS TO WHY NORTH MELBOURNE ARE STRUGGLING
BY SEN 11 MINUTES AGO
03HaNM19DB1991.JPG

Australian football Hall of Famer Terry Wallace has two theories surrounding North Melbourne and why they’re struggling early in the season.
The Roos are 0-3 heading into this weekend’s clash with Adelaide and Wallace believes coach Brad Scott needs to find different ways to motivate the group.

“I’ve got two little theories on North,” he told SEN Afternoons.
“Last year I think they played the us against the world card and I thought that gave them a real steely resolve about them, that’s a hard card to play more than once and I just don’t think that their resolve is what it was last year.”

Wallace also believes the massive turnover of players at the Kangaroos means they’ll take a bit of time to all get in sync as a unit.
“The other side of it is, they’ve changed so much of their side so there’s a bit of a disconnect there at the moment,” he said.

“You’ve got Jasper Pittard, Dom Tyson, Jared Polec, Aaron Hall, Tom Campbell – there’s five coming in from that side, then you’re playing Bailey Scott and Tarryn Thomas for the first time, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Ben McKay have slotted into the side.

“That’s nine players different to where it was not that long ago so that connection might take a bit of time with that team.

“The only other part of that is when you bring in nine, it leaves you with a lot of blokes like Nathan Hrovat, Cameron Zurhaar, Sam Wright, Jed Anderson, Nick Larkey, Mason Wood, all sitting on the sidelines, how the harmony goes there will be a really interesting challenge for Brad Scott as well.

“They were guys who thought they were the future of North Melbourne and all of a sudden they’ve been sidelined for nine blokes coming into the line-up.

“There’s a little bit of a disconnect with so many coming in and a little bit of harmony might have been impacted by that.”

Two theories.

1) Us against them (It's an indictment if we don't have that every week, much less every season)
2) New players not "gelling" (The players have had a 5 month pre-season, and Jasper Pittard, Dom Tyson, Jared Polec, Aaron Hall, Tom Campbell have all been in the AFL system for years)

Wallace's true genius is how he managed to fashion a coaching and media career based upon this level of analysis.

Last edited:
The thing is this, he generally marks it or brings the ball to ground, but do we play with crumbers at his feet? Nooooooooo.

Then folks complain that Turner etc, aren't getting enough goals.:rolleyes:

It's the entire defensive mindset that severely negates our forwards because we usually sacrifice a player for the defensive support!

I say if the opposition put 7 back there in our forward line, WE put 7 back there, and back in a one on one defensive group along with the outside mids in support.
Drew Petrie was lauded for exactly this. Contesting and not getting outmarked, bringing the ball to ground.
Two theories.

1) Us against them (It's an indictment if e don't have that every week, much less every season)
2) New players not "gelling" (The players have had a 5 month pre-season, and Jasper Pittard, Dom Tyson, Jared Polec, Aaron Hall, Tom Campbell have all been in the AFL system for years)

Wallace's true genius is how he managed to fashion a coaching and media career based upon this level of analysis.
He's not the Lone Ranger there either....witness Gary Lyon's comments about Taylor Garner last night.

Listened in. Wallet had two theories, that we played with a chip on our shoulder last year and we can't replicate it again. The second theory was that we have so many new players (mentions 9) that we have no team harmony at this early stage which is causing issues.
Yep heard that, both reasonable assertions.

Add to that the 6/6/6 rule without our best defender in Maj, and here we are at 0/3.

Being desperate to win doesn't necessarily equate to panic. It does equate to doing absolutely everything possible to win your next game of football.

Look, here is the difference between us in the last few years and Geelong. We were one win behind them last year, and in the off-season, their president says of the players: "I'm heartened that they're quite unhappy". And their assistant coach says: "Our guys are highly motivated and they need to be because as we sit right now, we're a mediocre team. We're no longer a top team, we're mediocre."

(Source)

Can you imagine that coming from our club? Not a chance. Instead we go 0-3 and our vice-captain says this week is not a must-win game. FMD.

Straight from a former players mouth, from the very first training session they couldn't believe the difference in attitude, drive and leadership from within the playing group at Geelong as well as the coaches.

First session back and senior players were in to blokes for lack of focus, poor skills etc.

Sounds like this still holds true.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back