Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How many of those who voted actually went to a game?

It's only an online poll, so generalisations only apply here.

19% of 43911 = 8343 (boos)
81% of 43911 = 35568 (didn't boo)

34% of 47327 claimed the "boo's" were actually racist, and 66% didn't.

34% of 47327 = 16091 (racist)
66% of 47327 = 31236 (not racist)

So if this poll was reasonably consistently answered, and we assume EVERY person who "booed" claims they are a non racist, then that still only leaves 16091 of 35568 (non boo's) or 45.24% (the minority) who believe the "boo's" were racist.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They booed at him through the tv...

What are your thoughts about the continued misrepresentations of Goodes words by Bolt, Jones etc. in regards to the 13 year old girl and the "Face of racism" comment and what affect do you think it had on the general public's perception of Goodes?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What are your thoughts about the continued misrepresentations of Goodes words by Bolt, Jones etc. in regards to the 13 year old girl and the "Face of racism" comment and what affect do you think it had on the general public's perception of Goodes?

Do you acknowledge the misrepresentation of the "pro" Goodes camp at the same time?

How about the propensity to utilise the word "proud indigenous" just about every time I hear his name introduced? Do you acknowledge this utilisation of psychological priming? Why does the fact that he might be "proud", and the blatantly obvious declaration that he is "indigenous" always seem to accompany this discussion? What does his "pride" have to do with truth?

I haven’t seen said comments, but I hazard to guess it wasn’t so glowing and along the lines of ‘Goodes is a bit of flog and deserved to be booed’. I don’t watch Bolt, Jones and co, just like I don’t really watch or listen to Aly and Ford all that much. Their insight is laden with rhetoric and half-truths, so not worth the time.

I have only heard McGuire’s ape comments, some of Aly’s stuff, general 6 pm news and read the original girls comment tbh.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I haven’t seen said comments, but I hazard to guess it wasn’t so glowing and along the lines of ‘Goodes is a bit of flog and deserved to be booed’. I don’t watch Bolt, Jones and co, just like I don’t really watch or listen to Aly and Ford all that much. Their insight is laden with rhetoric and half-truths, so not worth the time.

I have only heard McGuire’s ape comments and read the original girls comment tbh.

So you haven't watched the doco?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm interested to know what's in the doco that wasn't in the mainstream media at the time.

There must be some stunning, well researched revelations that take in to account a well rounded representation of this saga.

Well.........with the exception of Sam Newman.

So you haven't watched the doco?
Why would I?

I’ve heard Adam’s opinion on these matters already, I know his struggles, I know a bit about racism in sport, we know about the issues involved with Indigenous Australia, etc.

The doco would have told me very little than what I or most of us already know.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm interested to know what's in the doco that wasn't in the mainstream media at the time.

There must be some stunning, well researched revelations that take in to account a well rounded representation of this saga.

Well.........with the exception of Sam Newman.

Watch it and I'll discuss it further with you.

As for Sam, Channel 10 offered him a place on their panel after the doco, but Channel 9 wouldn't let him appear.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why would I?

I’ve heard Adam’s opinion on these matters already, I know his struggles, I know a bit about racism in sport, we know about the issues involved with Indigenous Australia, etc.

The doco would have told me very little than what I or most of us already know.

Fine, not worth duscussing with your then.

If you watched it, you might find it actually backed up some of your points about not every one who booed were being racist.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's piss weak, and it seriously questions the doco's credibility, to utilise Newman "prominently", whilst declining his offer to speak in it at the same time:

Noting that you haven't seen it yet (not a judgment, just an observation) but Newman's offer to participate was actually not appropriate under the circumstances, given the way this thing was put together from contemporaneous tv and radio recordings rather than with current interviews, (at least, that's their argument). And I appreciate that from a "propaganda" perspective, this means the editor was free to include and juxtapose grabs with no context provided by each speaker, and so people like Newman may very well feel aggrieved by that. On the other hand, there are some things Newman was shown saying in which it is difficult to contextualize any other way.

The other Goodes documentary (that we are yet to see) will possibly be more balanced. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I offer you an olive branch. Why should I watch this documentary and what new worthwhile information does it offer?
Timeline and context.

There were a series of events that occurred over a few years and the passage time means that many (me included) have mixed things up a bit. For instance, there was a big gap between the 13 year old and the media pile-on.

It was definitely one-sided, and I didn't find it as moving or dramatic as some others apparently did, but it was worth the hour and a half or whatever it was.

I edited my post after you replied.
Excellent, confirmation bias for me then.

I didn’t mean offence with my original post, I just don’t usually watch doco’s that don’t offer a heap of new information. I’m a bit of a utilitarian sometimes.

Timeline and context.

There were a series of events that occurred over a few years and the passage time means that many (me included) have mixed things up a bit. For instance, there was a big gap between the 13 year old and the media pile-on.

It was definitely one-sided, and I didn't find it as moving or dramatic as some others apparently did, but it was worth the hour and a half or whatever it was.
Fair enough, I’ll give it a go tomorrow morning and see if I can learn something new. If not, SB22 owes me a coke😉.

images (29).jpeg

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excellent, confirmation bias for me then.

I didn’t mean offence with my original post, I just don’t usually watch doco’s that don’t offer a heap of new information. I’m a bit of a utilitarian sometimes.

Fair enough, I’ll give it a go tomorrow morning and see if I can learn something new. If not, SB22 owes me a coke😉.

You may not learn anything new, because I consider you well educated on the subject. However, I believe there are a large section of the community that were very ignorant at the time and could learn a thing or two.

I think the Bolt's, Jones', Newman's of the world exploited these people with wild misrepresentations that inflamed the hatred towards Goodes.

It also provided me with an opportunity to have an open and honest discussion about racism with my wife and son who both happen to have a different skin colour to me.

Last edited:
You may not learn anything new, because I consider you well educated on the subject. However, I believe there are a large section of the community that were very ignorant at the time and could learn a thing or two.

I think the Bolt's, Jones', Newman's of the world exploited these people with wild misreprestations that inflamed the hatred towards Goodes.

It also provided me with an opportunity to have an open and honest discussion about racism with my wife and son who both happen to have a different skin colour to me.
I’m glad you found benefit from it. Some of us need that strong prompt for tough conservations.

The most benefit I found for the topic of racism and the issues for indigenous people was to visit the NT and see the state of affairs there for myself. Facts, figures and academia are one thing, but experience and determining things for yourself are another.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Watch it and I'll discuss it further with you.

As for Sam, Channel 10 offered him a place on their panel after the doco, but Channel 9 wouldn't let him appear.

Of course he can't just appear on a rival channel, but I doubt that would have been an issue with documentary makers.

Yes, I'll get around to watching it if it can be dome without paying for it. There's no chance of that happening.

My cynicism based upon what I have seen and read appears to be justified at this point.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course he can't just appear on a rival channel, but I doubt that would have been an issue with documentary makers.

Yes, I'll get around to watching it if it can be dome without paying for it. There's no chance of that happening.

It's on Channel 10's. Catch up tv app Tenplay.

kelman

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2002
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I'll put my hand up and state that I haven't seen this "doco" yet, but if it runs parralell with what has come before it, then's its predominately propaganda.

Of course you haven’t. How about you try watching it before weighing in? It might give you some perspective, although the chance of confirmation bias is extremely high.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Of course you haven’t. How about you try watching it before weighing in? It might give you some perspective, although the chance of confirmation bias is extremely high.

I am well versed in the events of the time.

Could you please list the series of new evidence this documentary provides, so I can pay it specific close attention when I do watch it?

While I agree with playing Ben forward when he's being tagged, it's kind of hard to do so in the middle of the play. Our footy relies on us having numbers at the stoppage, and if it were a set instance where Cunnington lined up at FF after an interchange then he'd just attract a normal defender rather than a midfielder. How does he drag his opponent to the square if it leaves us one short at the stoppage?
He beats the defender so comprehensively they send the tagger back to stop the onslaught coming from the forward pocket.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back