Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that by and large no one from the Matthews / Brisbane group has gone on to achieve anything of note as a coach in their own right.

The nearest was Chris as you mention who managed to get a 2x premiership group back on the tracks for a year. It was a very good performance as the group could've crashed right out after 2010 too but largely an isolated result.

This would support the notion that the Brisbane Lions flags were more the result of merger acquisitions (Chris Johnson anyone?), AFL cash (Alistair Lynch anyone?) early and priority picks (Leppa and Lappin anyone?) zoned recruiting (Voss and Aker anyone?) and an incredibly lucky father-son windfall from Fitzroy when the bar was set at a paltry 50 game requirement (Jonathan Brown anyone?).

Once the benefits dried up post 2004 neither Matthews nor any of disciples who took over after that were able to return to anywhere near those glories.
But still, that lions group was the most talented i have seen. Player to player, everyone was brilliant.

But still, that lions group was the most talented i have seen. Player to player, everyone was brilliant.

I'd go as far to say that those sides were the best in the AFL era.

5 years?

Who on here explicitly stated that it had been dreadful for that long?
The midfield was better 4-5 years ago but the same fundamental problem was evident - we had too much of the same type of player (especially when Wells was injured). We were able to cover this weakness up though through Goldie dominating and Jacobs tagging. A number of posters commented on that (not me as I hadn't joined then.)

Over the past 3 years - 2017-19 - there have been quite a few on here saying things were poor in the guts and at stoppages around the ground - too many of the same type again - no balance in there.

This problem become dire once Jacobs was out and Goldie went through a rough patch.

It ended as a complete capitulation this year with the debacle that was our midfield - note this is despite Cunners, Higgo and Goldie likely to go 1-2-3 in the b and f. So its not a personnel issue - it's a structural issue.

The good news is that we have the potential for more types to develop in there in Simpkin, TT, LDU.

We are at the critical stage where these guys just have to develop well or we will be in trouble for a while to come.

Some horrific stats there
It seems like our mids haven't had the agility and/or speed to apply enough pressure from stoppage losses for a while now. Whether it's mainly that, or positioning or our defence's inability to deal with those stoppage losses who knows. Would be interesting to know what the stat was after Rhyce took charge.

The midfield was better 4-5 years ago but the same fundamental problem was evident - we had too much of the same type of player (especially when Wells was injured). We were able to cover this weakness up though through Goldie dominating and Jacobs tagging. A number of posters commented on that (not me as I hadn't joined then.)

Over the past 3 years - 2017-19 - there have been quite a few on here saying things were poor in the guts and at stoppages around the ground - too many of the same type again - no balance in there.

This problem become dire once Jacobs was out and Goldie went through a rough patch.

It ended as a complete capitulation this year with the debacle that was our midfield - note this is despite Cunners, Higgo and Goldie likely to go 1-2-3 in the b and f. So its not a personnel issue - it's a structural issue.

The good news is that we have the potential for more types to develop in there in Simpkin, TT, LDU.

We are at the critical stage where these guys just have to develop well or we will be in trouble for a while to come.

Look I don’t want to sound like a smart arse but 5 years ago was 2014 and then into 2015 and like said I can’t remember who if anyone was taking pot shots at the Mids.

So I would say those two years flew under the Radar...the other years well yes, but what’s more disappointing is that the easy fix never came and in fact may have derailed his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo dropped a few remarks on Front Bar about MMA tactics by GWS. That loss hurt.
I saw Bevo's comments too, and laughed my head off, any half decent coach would have put that game in the back pocket, to be recalled internally next time they play the Giants, but no, he had to pipe up whinging on behalf of the Bont's nose, cry me a river Chihuahua's.

I saw Bevo's comments too, and laughed my head off, any half decent coach would have put that game in the back pocket, to be recalled internally next time they play the Giants, but no, he had to pipe up whinging on behalf of the Bont's nose, cry me a river Chihuahua's.
You mean the half decent coach who engineered a flag 4 years ago from 7th and now has his team back in the 8 and looking likely to reload next year?

We'd like to have such a half decent coach over the past 20 years.

You mean the half decent coach who engineered a flag 4 years ago from 7th and now has his team back in the 8 and looking likely to reload next year?

It was still a Chris Scottish performance. Came back three times to how GWS were too rough.

Last edited:

I don't think they'll win another flag with that attitude. Maybe they will but sooking about other teams being too hard at it hasn't been a path to a flag in the past. (Umps onside helped last time as well.)

Adam Curley is obviously a St Kilda fan giving them an extra premiership cup...View attachment 755093

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Since our last flag the Dogs have caught up by 1 but West Coast have again squared the ledger, Sydney has gone past us and Geelong now lead by 5 instead of 2.
Brisbanes lead has also doubled and Hawthorns has erupted aswell.

Now ******* Richmond has 3 times as much.

We need to pull the finger out. Im sick of it.

I dislike Western as much as anyone around here, but I interpreted Beveridges comments as drumming up the 'rivalry' between them and 'The Other Western' in probably the only forum he could without getting criticized. Granted a tad cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back