Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE DAVID KING BUMP THAT STILL LINGERS

HE might have had the last laugh on the day but NIGEL SMART is still feeling Adelaide’s 1998 Grand Final triumph with persistent neck issues from a clash (below) with North Melbourne’s DAVID KING.

Twenty years after the Crows went back-to-back at the MCG, Smart, who is now the club’s chief operating officer, is reminded daily of the historic victory.

Just before halftime of the Grand Final Smart took possession of the ball and was met front-on and high by a King bump.

“He hit my head flush and it didn’t look overly bad on the tape but I suffer neck issues today from that, that’s ongoing,” Smart said as part of a feature series to celebrate the

milestone.

“The vertebrae crunched a little bit and it’s all fine, but it’s a memory. Thanks, Kingy. I thought I felt OK but obviously I wasn’t. In those days with doctors and concussion it was taken seriously but the protocols weren’t as tested as they are today.”

Smart got up and took his free kick but kicked the ball out of bounds on the full, then a follow-up hit from MARTIN PIKE sent him to the bench.

“Memories of that game — I remember bits and pieces but after halftime there are a few bits and bobs that come and go,” he said.

Play all kids, finish bottom four for another 2 years and watch the arse fall off this club. Can't afford it. Saw what happened to memberships just off one year at the bottom.

Rubbish article. I'm proud of where we have gotten with what's available from a list perspective (with the exception of that 30mins last week lol).

NMFC 2020 is still on!

Last edited:

He has a point in, but in a “full of crap” sort of way...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We havnt rotated enough youf through. We have consistently fielded one of the oldest teams, which is counter productive to rebuilding/resetting, which was the narrative from the club.

The rest is just bullshit.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

HE might have had the last laugh on the day but NIGEL SMART is still feeling Adelaide’s 1998 Grand Final triumph with persistent neck issues from a clash (below) with North Melbourne’s DAVID KING.

Twenty years after the Crows went back-to-back at the MCG, Smart, who is now the club’s chief operating officer, is reminded daily of the historic victory.

Just before halftime of the Grand Final Smart took possession of the ball and was met front-on and high by a King bump.

“He hit my head flush and it didn’t look overly bad on the tape but I suffer neck issues today from that, that’s ongoing,” Smart said as part of a feature series to celebrate the

milestone.

“The vertebrae crunched a little bit and it’s all fine, but it’s a memory. Thanks, Kingy. I thought I felt OK but obviously I wasn’t. In those days with doctors and concussion it was taken seriously but the protocols weren’t as tested as they are today.”

Smart got up and took his free kick but kicked the ball out of bounds on the full, then a follow-up hit from MARTIN PIKE sent him to the bench.

“Memories of that game — I remember bits and pieces but after halftime there are a few bits and bobs that come and go,” he said.

I'm also still recovering from the king hit I copped in the 98 grand final.

Why North Melbourne's seasons has been a failure.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/15/waste-season-north-melbourne-style/

No idea who Jai Thomas is, but he has Hit.The.Nail.On.The.Head and goes to everything about the under 22 squad.

This article needs more main stream focus.

What's so beneficial about playing players in the AFL that aren't in the best 22?

This whole "play them in the AFL for development" spiel is grossly overrated crap.

That article does nothing more than give a platform for stupid thinking. It reads as a troll to me.

We havnt rotated enough youf through. We have consistently fielded one of the oldest teams, which is counter productive to rebuilding/resetting, which was the narrative from the club.

The rest is just bullshit.

We have turned over more players in the last two years than Carlton. Tell me how that is not the aggressive reset that was spoken of at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also still recovering from the king hit I copped in the 98 grand final.
I stuck around until the final siren and got a barrage by the feral crows throng as I walked down the steps of the G. That feeling of the 'one that got away' was burnt into my soul that day..

No wonder we refer to it as the year we don't speak about.

We have turned over more players in the last two years than Carlton. Tell me how that is not the aggressive reset that was spoken of at the time.
You sure about that?

Carlton have turned over 27 players in the last 2 years, and 42 in 3.

We debuted 11 players in '17 for 68 games and have debuted another 5 in '18 for 26 games.

Just 4 of the 2017 debutantes have played games in 2018.

Larkey, McKay, Neilson, Hibberd, Preuss all debuted in '17 and all well performed in the VFL - zero games in '18. In fact, just 33 games in '18 from the 11 debutantes with Simpkin playing the lions share of them.

5 players for 26 games debuted for '18.

Not saying we needed wholesale changes, just think Scott's could of done a better job getting games into a few. Benny McKay to spell Taz and Thommo. Neilson in as a lock down defender for McDonald. Larkey a game or 2 when we had no Waite or Wood. Hibberd a crack off HB and of course Preuss, but that's a bit harder with Goldy in form.

What is the next cycle? We get Gaff and Polec, re sign Waite, Thommo and Wright and it's on like Donkey Kong?

Really think we should be building for a real crack in 2020 and beyond. Having kpp's all under 30 games with vets on the way out will hurt us imo.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that I don’t believe that Brad Scott selected Black to play when he couldn’t even lift his arm above his head. There’s absolutely no mileage in that for anybody, most of all Scott. It doesn’t go even close to passing the “pub” test. That’s not to say that there’s not a good case for moving Brad on.

I never said we should move Brad on. This season, despite a brutal loss, has far exceeded expectations. The future has much more potential than 18 months ago. What I'm saying is he stubbornly backs players in despite overwhelming contradicting evidence. Lindsay with the yips, injured Goldstein in 2016, McDonald this year.

Black was one the brightest prospects we've had. Still remember fondly his game against Hawthorn at the g in 2013- slotted a goal on the run from 50, great marks both contested and on a lead, plus he made some huge tackling efforts. So much confidence.

I remember a game against against Brisbane in 2014 where Aaron went for marks one handed. He played every game that season despite not looking right particularly in marking attempts. He subsequently had shoulder surgery that offseason and was a shell of himself for the rest of his brief North Melbourne tenure. Confidence was shot.

Doesn't scream well managed to me but your mileage may vary.

I stuck around until the final siren and got a barrage by the feral crows throng as I walked down the steps of the G. That feeling of the 'one that got away' was burnt into my soul that day..

No wonder we refer to it as the year we don't speak about.

I suffered the exact same fate, Sherm. They’re the only set of supporters that I’ve encountered it with. I’ve never forgotten it.

Play all kids, finish bottom four for another 2 years and watch the arse fall off this club. Can't afford it. Saw what happened to memberships just off one year at the bottom.

Rubbish article. I'm proud of where we have gotten with what's available from a list perspective (with the exception of that 30mins last week lol).

NMFC 2020 is still on!

He wants us to be Carlton. No thanks.

I do agree with Waite/Thompson/Wright - Saints game needs to be their farewell game.

You sure about that?

Carlton have turned over 27 players in the last 2 years, and 42 in 3.

We debuted 11 players in '17 for 68 games and have debuted another 5 in '18 for 26 games.

Just 4 of the 2017 debutantes have played games in 2018.

Larkey, McKay, Neilson, Hibberd, Preuss all debuted in '17 and all well performed in the VFL - zero games in '18. In fact, just 33 games in '18 from the 11 debutantes with Simpkin playing the lions share of them.

5 players for 26 games debuted for '18.

Not saying we needed wholesale changes, just think Scott's could of done a better job getting games into a few. Benny McKay to spell Taz and Thommo. Neilson in as a lock down defender for McDonald. Larkey a game or 2 when we had no Waite or Wood. Hibberd a crack off HB and of course Preuss, but that's a bit harder with Goldy in form.

What is the next cycle? We get Gaff and Polec, re sign Waite, Thommo and Wright and it's on like Donkey Kong?

Really think we should be building for a real crack in 2020 and beyond. Having kpp's all under 30 games with vets on the way out will hurt us imo.

Sorry, I meant Best 22. We had 10 players who played more than half a season in their last year, they had three.

NMFC Games in Year
Brent Harvey 23
Drew Petrie 23
Michael Firrito 22
Nick Dal Santo 22
Sam Gibson 22
Daniel Wells 19
Aaron Mullett 18
Andrew Swallow 16
Brad McKenzie 14
Lachlan Hansen 13

Carl Games in Year
Bryce Gibbs 22
Zach Tuohy 22
Andrejs Everitt 13

I mean, good on them for discarding Dillon Viojo-Rainbow....

Why North Melbourne's seasons has been a failure.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/15/waste-season-north-melbourne-style/

No idea who Jai Thomas is, but he has Hit.The.Nail.On.The.Head and goes to everything about the under 22 squad.

This article needs more main stream focus.
This article reminds me of a giant turd you do after a heavy night on the Guinness.
What a narrow minded, stupid article. Okay, so a waste of year by Higgins and Cunnington, jog on campaigner.

milestone.

He has prolly got some pretty thick calluses on his feet to reming him of another steller moment.

Some bozo rang up SEN to suggest that two clubs needed to go because AFL is a business (not exactly correct but that's another topic) - not surprisingly Gold Coast and us were nominated. Kudos to Dr Turf for stating words to the effect that North is hardly unprofitable these days and are we really concerned about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back