Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. A bit like Boomer in that he did everything in his power to not only overcome deficiencies but to be the absolute best player he could be. Nothing but admiration.

I think it all turned around once he won a Major; the pressure was off; but sheesh those first Aust Opens were whiny painful to watch

Maybe if we either of these win won the pressure may be off

What gets under my skin with both of them is they have Goddardistis and spend way too much looking pointing at every one else

Agree. A bit like Boomer in that he did everything in his power to not only overcome deficiencies but to be the absolute best player he could be. Nothing but admiration.

And I think we are posting in the wrong thread...maybe these need to be moved to the Non Footy Thread

Both of these guys have spent most of their careers ranked around the 20 mark and have win multiple tournaments. Tomic has a 17-4 record in Davis Cup, Kyrgios won a Hopman Cup.

Tomic is making his way back after injury amd mental health issues, and has done it by going through qualifying and playing Challenger tournaments, ie the hard way. Kyrgios has had a dodgy hip and it affected his ranking, but he still went into this week about 50th.

We want our sports stars to be humble suburban boys and keep a low profile, and these guys don't want to do that so they get treated horribly by the media that instead do a group wank over heroic losses by battlers.
Nadal, Murray and many other sports people play through injury and don't abuse the ball kids and others, my opinion is they are tools with big mouths.

Nadal, Murray and many other sports people play through injury and don't abuse the ball kids and others, my opinion is they are tools with big mouths.
Kyrgios copped s**t last year for trying to play through injury and either losing or pulling out when it was too much.

Are they tools? Yes. Big mouths? Absolutely.

But they get treated to a media pile-on a couple of times each year for indiscretions that others get away with, and that's a problem.

Kyrgios and Tomic get called flogs but I dont get the hatred lol
Theyre not affecting anyone from the general public directly nor are they harming anyone
Yeh I get they represent Australia but its an individual sport, not a team sport. And both have exemplary Davis Cup records. Kyrgios is 9-6 including a Hopman Cup triumph. Tomic has an outstanding 17-4.
They dont get funding from Tennis Australia either so not wasting taxpayers money. Basically they are being themselves and not conforming their persona to anyones wishes which is fair enough.
The 7 and 9 media, plus Fox and 3AW/MMM tear into them at any chance because it sells to have villains in sport. I get you think they can work harder and do better but there are 3 blokes named Novak, Roger and Rafa who make up the GOAT list and more. Not to mention 4-5 others who would be world number 1s in any other era or even next decade.
Id hate to think any semblance of racial undertone comes into it but considering the fascination and overlooking Lleytons years on the tour as a teen, even Federers early years, I think the coverage, reporting and attitude by the media to appease bogan Australia is a sham. Flogs? On the court perhaps but Kyrgios does heaps of work for charity and is by all reports quite humble. Tomic keeps a low profile and I dont see a rap sheet anywhere near severe that he is the villain of all things good.

Kyrgios and Tomic get called flogs but I dont get the hatred lol
Theyre not affecting anyone from the general public directly nor are they harming anyone
Yeh I get they represent Australia but its an individual sport, not a team sport. And both have exemplary Davis Cup records. Kyrgios is 9-6 including a Hopman Cup triumph. Tomic has an outstanding 17-4.
They dont get funding from Tennis Australia either so not wasting taxpayers money. Basically they are being themselves and not conforming their persona to anyones wishes which is fair enough.
The 7 and 9 media, plus Fox and 3AW/MMM tear into them at any chance because it sells to have villains in sport. I get you think they can work harder and do better but there are 3 blokes named Novak, Roger and Rafa who make up the GOAT list and more. Not to mention 4-5 others who would be world number 1s in any other era or even next decade.
Id hate to think any semblance of racial undertone comes into it but considering the fascination and overlooking Lleytons years on the tour as a teen, even Federers early years, I think the coverage, reporting and attitude by the media to appease bogan Australia is a sham. Flogs? On the court perhaps but Kyrgios does heaps of work for charity and is by all reports quite humble. Tomic keeps a low profile and I dont see a rap sheet anywhere near severe that he is the villain of all things good.

Ch7 and the rest of the media did more than enough years ago to drum up support for Kyrgios, Kokonakis and Tomic. The constant 'support the aussie' themed ads were so common they were sickening at that point while we were forced to watch every one of their matches on free tv.

After what the media has done for them back then it's no surprise they've now given up on these athletes who refuse to show the sport some respect.

Tennis has always been a gracious and "gentlemanly" sport. Kyrgios deliberately throws games and Tomic gloats about his millions after each loss while insulting others. These guys squandered their chance at positive popularity and now deserve every bit negative press in my opinion.

Ch7 and the rest of the media did more than enough years ago to drum up support for Kyrgios, Kokonakis and Tomic. The constant 'support the aussie' themed ads were so common they were sickening at that point while we were forced to watch every one of their matches on free tv.

After what the media has done for them back then it's no surprise they've now given up on these athletes who refuse to show the sport some respect.

Tennis has always been a gracious and "gentlemanly" sport. Kyrgios deliberately throws games and Tomic gloats about his millions after each loss while insulting others. These guys squandered their chance at positive popularity and now deserve every bit negative press in my opinion.
Thanasi's okay though, right? Though his luck absolutely sucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ev...1/news-story/85d7844f0da798de91df8027a6462b11

NORTH MELBOURNE
B:
E. Vickers-Willis, S. Thompson, M. Williams
HB: J. Macmillan, R. Tarrant, L. McDonald
C: P. Ahern, D. Tyson, J. Polec
HF: J. Anderson, M. Wood, A. Hall
F: J. Ziebell, B. Brown, K Turner
FOL: T. Goldstein, B. Cunnington, S. Higgins
I/C: J. Simpkin, L. Davies-Uniacke, S. Atley, S. T. Dumont
EMG: N. Hrovat, J. Pittard, S. Wright, B. Jacobs

We say: With no timeframe on Majak Daw’s return to football, young defender Ed Vickers-Willis grabs his spot in the best 22, while new recruits Dom Tyson (Melbourne), Jarred Polec (Port Adelaide) and Aaron Hall (Gold Coast) significantly bolster North Melbourne’s midfield. Competition for spots will be fierce, however, with 2018 regulars Nathan Hrovat, Sam Wright and Ben Jacobs not in the best side at this stage.

NO Ben Jacobs?! LOL media have NFI, he is a guaranteed LOCK

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ev...1/news-story/85d7844f0da798de91df8027a6462b11

NORTH MELBOURNE
B:

We say: With no timeframe on Majak Daw’s return to football, young defender Ed Vickers-Willis grabs his spot in the best 22, while new recruits Dom Tyson (Melbourne), Jarred Polec (Port Adelaide) and Aaron Hall (Gold Coast) significantly bolster North Melbourne’s midfield. Competition for spots will be fierce, however, with 2018 regulars Nathan Hrovat, Sam Wright and Ben Jacobs not in the best side at this stage.

I agree with you, but who do you take out?
My thought was to drop Turner, move Atley to the forward line and have Jacobs on the bench. Also, I'd like to see McKay come in, probably at the expense of either Macmillian or McDonald, but I'm not sure if that would leave us with the some defensive problems as last year, a strong marking unit, but little mobility/run out the back.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good team that is going to be more than competitive this season.

I agree with you, but who do you take out?
My thought was to drop Turner, move Atley to the forward line and have Jacobs on the bench. Also, I'd like to see McKay come in, probably at the expense of either Macmillian or McDonald, but I'm not sure if that would leave us with the some defensive problems as last year, a strong marking unit, but little mobility/run out the back.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good team that is going to be more than competitive this season.

Jacobs would be one of the first picked when fit, though I do agree with your overall sentiment though, we have depth this year. Players will be made to earn their spot.

And it’s bloody fantastic. My opinion is that it takes 30 AFL quality players in a squad for a chance of a flag. Or no injuries

Higgins interview on SEN
Spoke about new recruits all fitting in ( same old).
Spoke about the new rules and the impact they will have (which took up most of the interview), answered questions on how Maj is going and revealed that Luke McDonald is the big mouth of the change rooms.
There was no questions from the listeners even though they asked for North supporters to ring in.

Higgins interview on SEN
Spoke about new recruits all fitting in ( same old).
Spoke about the new rules and the impact they will have (which took up most of the interview), answered questions on how Maj is going and revealed that Luke McDonald is the big mouth of the change rooms.
There was no questions from the listeners even though they asked for North supporters to ring in.

At some stage they need to stop asking about Maj. Let him be. I get that is a huge story and we can’t hide from it but I fear how long they’ll run with it, they need to understand that continually asking questions about Maj could be inadvertently be putting pressure on him to put on a strong facade for his teammates. Are we going to hear journalist asking Brad about Maj every week in his presser, or every player interview? Hopefully the club is just letting it slide this week and then requesting no more questions about Maj.

NORTH MELBOURNE
B:

I agree with the sentiment; I imagine that Jacobs, when fit, is one of the first selected.

Who to omit then? We have now, for perhaps the first time in two decades, the ability to pick a midfield on form, rather than having players there to make up numbers. Form during training and the JLT should tell us who gets left out. In the first instance, I'd be inclined to leave LDU out, solely because of his youth and lack of experience, but if he stars during the pre-season, drop the player with the worst form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back