Opinion Commentary & Media III

Status
Not open for further replies.

domiroo

It’s a big kick it’s long kick it’s a goal .....
Dec 26, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Catanzaro / Manchester City
Tom Campbell picked up by us .. good or bad .. looks like a unit ..

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oh no...

WALLACE FLAGS CONCERN WITH NORTH MELBOURNE'S LIST
BY SEN AN HOUR AGO

Three-time Hawthorn premiership player Terry Wallace is concerned about the age profile of the spine of North Melbourne’s team.

Key forward Jarrad Waite announced his retirement at the end of 2018 while the likes of Scott Thompson, Robbie Tarrant, Todd Goldstein and Shaun Higgins are all either approaching or over the age of 30.

While Wallace expects the Kangaroos to be ultra-competitive in 2019, a genuine premiership tilt could be a while off due as they search for long-term replacements for their key veterans.

“My one question still with them is you’ve got a spine that has got Scott Thompson, Robbie Tarrant, Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins and they’ve just lost Jarrad Waite,” Wallace told SEN.

“A lot of your key core players are not going to be there in a couple of years.

“So to me if they don’t win it in the next two years - and I don’t see them winning it in the next two years - I think they’re going to be as far away as many clubs in the competition of actually winning it.

“They’re going to be better than a lot of sides in this competition this year.

“I think that they’re potentially a top eight team this year, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re any closer to winning a flag.”

The Roos signed Aaron Hall, Jasper Pittard and Jared Polec during the trade period and added exciting youngster Tarryn Thomas via the AFL Draft.

Oh no...

BY SEN AN HOUR AGO

Three-time Hawthorn premiership player Terry Wallace is concerned about the age profile of the spine of North Melbourne’s team.

Key forward Jarrad Waite announced his retirement at the end of 2018 while the likes of Scott Thompson, Robbie Tarrant, Todd Goldstein and Shaun Higgins are all either approaching or over the age of 30.

While Wallace expects the Kangaroos to be ultra-competitive in 2019, a genuine premiership tilt could be a while off due as they search for long-term replacements for their key veterans.

“My one question still with them is you’ve got a spine that has got Scott Thompson, Robbie Tarrant, Todd Goldstein, Shaun Higgins and they’ve just lost Jarrad Waite,” Wallace told SEN.

“So to me if they don’t win it in the next two years - and I don’t see them winning it in the next two years - I think they’re going to be as far away as many clubs in the competition of actually winning it.

“I think that they’re potentially a top eight team this year, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re any closer to winning a flag.”

The Roos signed Aaron Hall, Jasper Pittard and Jared Polec during the trade period and added exciting youngster Tarryn Thomas via the AFL Draft.

This is just off season click bait - don’t give him the response/ traffic he is hoping for!

Cheap shots to get a response and nothing more!

Oh no...

BY SEN AN HOUR AGO

Were literally trying to fit EVW, McKay, Larkey in the side and we cant
Brown and Majak arent slowing down
Xerri in the VFL developing
Its too s**t to be a troll man

I do think Wallet has got one thing right there - Jarrad Waite is a huge loss for us.

We won't know how it will pan out after an off season of planning without Waite but he will be hard to replace. It hasn't mentioned as much on here as I thought it would be. I hope a more dynamic forward line helps out Browny and Ziebell - they can't do it alone by a long shot.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I do think Wallet has got one thing right there - Jarrad Waite is a huge loss for us.

We won't know how it will pan out after an off season of planning without Waite but he will be hard to replace. It hasn't mentioned as much on here as I thought it would be. I hope a more dynamic forward line helps out Browny and Ziebell - they can't do it alone by a long shot.
Anyone with access to the Internet knows being Waiteless hurts us above everything else. He gets no points for the obvious.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
This whole thing actually came about because a Roos supporter texted in bagging Terry for those ‘worst list in the comp’ comments.

They read it out on air & chatted about it. I was listening to it live.

He admitted he was wrong & went on to say a bunch of players had improved significantly more & quicker than he’d expected in 2018. He said we’re potentially a finals side this year & that the additions of LDU & TT were great because North are constantly ‘in a vortex’ where we never bottom out (& never get those high draft picks), which he also said ‘is a credit to the club’.

Yes, click bait is the right term here. By no means does that article actually represent how the conversation undfolded on air.
Funny thing is the article is from the SEN website. They’re screwing around & taking their own words out of context. Weird station.

Anyone with access to the Internet knows being Waiteless hurts us above everything else. He gets no points for the obvious.

Maybe it's such a big deal that's why it's not getting a mention around here. Makes sense we want to bury that fact deep down I guess. We need a plan that works from the start or we're toast. He was that important.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This whole thing actually came about because a Roos supporter texted in bagging Terry for those ‘worst list in the comp’ comments.

He admitted he was wrong & went on to say a bunch of players had improved significantly more & quicker than he’d expected in 2018. He said we’re potentially a finals side this year & that the additions of LDU & TT were great because North are constantly ‘in a vortex’ where we never bottom out (& never get those high draft picks), which he also said ‘is a credit to the club’.

Yes, click bait is the right term here. By no means does that article actually represent how the conversation undfolded on air.
Funny thing is the article is from the SEN website. They’re screwing around & taking their own words out of context. Weird station.
Oy vey. I love being trigger happy... not.

Funnily enough it just so happens to be the same station owned by Jabba the Hutch. And we all know what he thinks of North and anything remotely positive that might be said about us.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But in assessing and criticizing a so-called aging list, he is NOT right to even mention a bloke who is not on the list anymore. May as well talk about Harvey and Petrie. Or Carey and Longmire and McKernan.

He is also not right when discussing the current spine, to conveniently overlook a young group of midfielders standing alongside Higgins, or an entire forward line of young players, led by Ben Brown who only just turned 26, or the defensive revelation of the year in Majak Daw, and the probably counterpart of 2019 in Ben McKay.

If this asshat was a genuine "list manager" as he laughingly tries to market himself in the media, then he would know that a list needs an age profile spread that includes young players, along with a good number of mid-twenties players with over 100 games experience, and a few leaders in that late 20s and 30s group who are highly experienced and talented.

If you want to talk about a list reliant on players on their last legs, how about one including Hurn, Schofield, Naitanui, Shuey, Masten, Kennedy, and the recently retired LeCras. Couldn't possibly win a premiership, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back