Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/07/2019-afl-season-preview-north-melbourne-kangaroos/

Knowledgeable and very blunt to the point. Not a bad read overall. Nothing we didn't already know i guess.

Some points that gave me a chuckle...

"Ryan Clarke was the highest possession runner from defence, but is now in Sydney. Jasper Pittard has been procured from Port to replace him but North fans must be warned – Pittard is one of the worst decision-makers in the AFL and can cause some groans among supporters when he tries to hit a target that isn’t on, or shanks the kick due to running too fast at the point of impact."

"Trent Dumont is highly respected within Arden St, but most non-North supporters could sit next to him on a train and not know who he was. He has started to believe he belongs, and could take another step up again."

I can relate to the second point above. My 12 old nephew knows all our players but always gets stuck when trying to work who Dumont is lol, poor guy deserves a bit more recognition i think.

Some points that gave me a chuckle...

"Ryan Clarke was the highest possession runner from defence, but is now in Sydney. Jasper Pittard has been procured from Port to replace him but North fans must be warned – Pittard is one of the worst decision-makers in the AFL and can cause some groans among supporters when he tries to hit a target that isn’t on, or shanks the kick due to running too fast at the point of impact."

"Trent Dumont is highly respected within Arden St, but most non-North supporters could sit next to him on a train and not know who he was. He has started to believe he belongs, and could take another step up again."

I can relate to the second point above. My 12 old nephew knows all our players but always gets stuck when trying to work who Dumont is lol, poor guy deserves a bit more recognition i think.

fG61HZo.png

This didn't help.

Terry Tan did his season preview for North and the Bulldogs today. The podcast will be up at some stage I'm sure.

He thinks we have a much improved list from a balance perspective, noting our riches now available to rotate through the middle and our strong and experienced spine.

He has concerns over our depth of talls.

Likes how we've invested "for the now" but says Polec's the only dead cert of the traded in players. The rest could be anything from brilliant to a bust in his opinion, noting that players generally play better once arriving at Arden St however.

Loves the addition of TT and Bailey Scott for the future, and he added LDU to that list after 2018 was little more than a development year for him. He sees him as another fresh gun recruit ready to make his mark in 2019 and beyond.

He had plenty more to say but f'd if I can remember it all right now.

In conclusion, after running the Bulldogs list under a similar microscope, he said he expects North will finish higher than the Dogs and he based that on our list being stronger and better balanced, with our inclusions complementing what we already had, and he has his fingers crossed that we can "put out a good team on a regular basis, particularly early, given the injuries we currently have to some key players, particularly tall backs" right now.

Terry Tan did his season preview for North and the Bulldogs today. The podcast will be up at some stage I'm sure.

He thinks we have a much improved list from a balance perspective, noting our riches now available to rotate through the middle and our strong and experienced spine.

Likes how we've invested "for the now" but says Polec's the only dead cert of the traded in players. The rest could be anything from brilliant to a bust in his opinion, noting that players generally play better once arriving at Arden St however.

Loves the addition of TT and Bailey Scott for the future, and he added LDU to that list after 2018 was little more than a development year for him. He sees him as another fresh gun recruit ready to make his mark in 2019 and beyond.

In conclusion, after running the Bulldogs list under a similar microscope, he said he expects North will finish higher than the Dogs and he based that on our list being stronger and better balanced, with our inclusions complementing what we already had, and he has his fingers crossed that we can "put out a good team on a regular basis, particularly early, given the injuries we currently have to some key players, particularly tall backs" right now.

I wanted to call and ask him one question

Does he still believe ( 12 months on) that we have the worst list?

But alas, no talkback today

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

More vague waffle. You'd struggle to see more each way bets at a bowls club.
Thought the exact same thing. Buttering both sides of the bread.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl...0190309-p512yr.html?__twitter_impression=true

Average Readers’ pick: 11th
Our Experts’ picks
Jake Niall
Michael Gleeson
  • 1stRichmond
  • 2ndWest Coast
  • 3rdAdelaide
  • 4thCollingwood
  • 5thGreater Western Sydney
  • 6thMelbourne
  • 7thEssendon
  • 8thGeelong
  • 9thHawthorn
  • 10thNorth Melbourne
  • 11thPort Adelaide
  • 12thSydney
  • 13thWestern Bulldogs
  • 14thBrisbane Lions
  • 15thFremantle
  • 16thCarlton
  • 17thSt Kilda
  • 18thGold Coast
Gains
Tom Campbell Western Bulldogs, Joel Crocker Sandringham Dragons, Aaron Hall Gold Coast, Tom McKenzie rookie, Northern Knights, Red Og Murphy rookie category B - Ireland, Jared Polec Port Adelaide, Jasper Pittard Port Adelaide, Bailey Scott Gold Coast academy, Curtis Taylor Calder Cannons,Tarryn Thomas North Launceston, Dom Tyson Melbourne, Thomas Wilkinson rookie, Southport
Losses
Ryan Clarke traded to Sydney, Billy Hartung delisted, Mitch Hibberd delisted, Alex Morgan delisted, Declan Mountford delisted, Daniel Nielson delisted, Braydon Preuss traded to Melbourne, Josh Williams delisted, Jarrad Waite retired
What Jake Niall thinks

The Roos have found some hares - Polec, Hall - to run alongside the tough tortoises (Cunnington, Ziebell, Anderson). Brown and Tarrant are fine bookends. Pittard and Tyson add seasoned depth. Higgins is class. Do they have the cattle to play finals? Maybe. They won't be far away. But I'm leaving them out.

Why they can make the eight
The outside runners have arrived with Jared Polec and Aaron Hall set to help the dynamic Shaun Higgins create overlap through the midfield. The Kangaroos have unearthed a couple of players in the draft too with Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott adding bite. North Melbourne won't die wondering.Peter Ryan

Why they can't make the eight
Injuries to key defenders Robbie Tarrant and Sam Durdin have North on the back foot early in the season while the list additions mean time will be needed to adjust. Todd Goldstein's ruckwork is crucial and Mason Wood must step up to help Ben Brown to improve the Kangaroos.Peter Ryan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl...0190309-p512yr.html?__twitter_impression=true

Our Experts’ picks
Jake Niall
Michael Gleeson
  • 1stRichmond
  • 2ndWest Coast
  • 3rdAdelaide
  • 4thCollingwood
  • 6thMelbourne
  • 7thEssendon
  • 8thGeelong
  • 9thHawthorn

• 10thNorth Melbourne
  • 11thPort Adelaide
  • 12thSydney
  • 13thWestern Bulldogs
  • 14thBrisbane Lions
  • 15thFremantle
  • 16thCarlton
  • 17thSt Kilda
  • 18thGold Coast
Gains
Tom Campbell Western Bulldogs, Joel Crocker Sandringham Dragons, Aaron Hall Gold Coast, Tom McKenzie rookie, Northern Knights, Red Og Murphy rookie category B - Ireland, Jared Polec Port Adelaide, Jasper Pittard Port Adelaide, Bailey Scott Gold Coast academy, Curtis Taylor Calder Cannons,Tarryn Thomas North Launceston, Dom Tyson Melbourne, Thomas Wilkinson rookie, Southport
Losses
Ryan Clarke traded to Sydney, Billy Hartung delisted, Mitch Hibberd delisted, Alex Morgan delisted, Declan Mountford delisted, Daniel Nielson delisted, Braydon Preuss traded to Melbourne, Josh Williams delisted, Jarrad Waite retired
What Jake Niall thinks

The Roos have found some hares - Polec, Hall - to run alongside the tough tortoises (Cunnington, Ziebell, Anderson). Brown and Tarrant are fine bookends. Pittard and Tyson add seasoned depth. Higgins is class. Do they have the cattle to play finals? Maybe. They won't be far away. But I'm leaving them out.

The outside runners have arrived with Jared Polec and Aaron Hall set to help the dynamic Shaun Higgins create overlap through the midfield. The Kangaroos have unearthed a couple of players in the draft too with Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott adding bite. North Melbourne won't die wondering.Peter Ryan

Injuries to key defenders Robbie Tarrant and Sam Durdin have North on the back foot early in the season while the list additions mean time will be needed to adjust. Todd Goldstein's ruckwork is crucial and Mason Wood must step up to help Ben Brown to improve the Kangaroos.Peter Ryan
How come no mention of our Next Generation Academy with regards to Tarryn Thomas ?

Our Experts’ picks
Jake Niall
Michael Gleeson
  • 10thNorth Melbourne
Losses
What Jake Niall thinks

Have fence, will sit.

All they prove by these exercises is how completely clueless they are.

Our Experts’ picks
Jake Niall
Michael Gleeson
  • 1stRichmond
  • 2ndWest Coast
  • 3rdAdelaide
  • 4thCollingwood
  • 6thMelbourne
  • 7thEssendon
  • 8thGeelong
  • 9thHawthorn

• 10thNorth Melbourne
  • 11thPort Adelaide
  • 12thSydney
  • 13thWestern Bulldogs
  • 14thBrisbane Lions
  • 15thFremantle
  • 16thCarlton
  • 17thSt Kilda
  • 18thGold Coast
Gains
Losses
What Jake Niall thinks

Switch 10th & 7th teams and it might come close to the real thing

Melbourne will finish higher than GWS imo.
I reckon they're both finishing above Adelaide and maybe even Richmond and WCE. Swans I rate higher than Geelong and Hawks too. That list is all messed up. Even having Carlton at 16th is odd to me. Think Saints have a side that's much more likely to win 6-8 games than the Blues.

I reckon they're both finishing above Adelaide and maybe even Richmond and WCE. Swans I rate higher than Geelong and Hawks too. That list is all messed up. Even having Carlton at 16th is odd to me. Think Saints have a side that's much more likely to win 6-8 games than the Blues.
On the plus side when have "experts" even gotten 8 out of 16 right in any season?

Throwingdarts.gif

Everybody has different opinions.

I think Crows finish really high, GWS higher than everybody thinks and Geelong also pushing top 4.

I think richmond and Melbourne miss top 4.

Yes, we all have our different opinions and at the end of the season, most of us have missed the mark on a lot of teams, just like the 'experts'.

FWIW, my view is close to yours, except I don't have Geelong pushing top 4, but us or Melbourne. Agree that the Crows and GWS will be right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back