Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Goddard says Kangaroos’ spearhead Ben Brown must stop staging for free kicks
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
7 minutes ago
Brendon Goddard has urged North Melbourne spearhead Ben Brown to stop staging for free kicks as statistics show he is the most league’s rewarded key forward.
Since Round 1 last season Brown has been paid 58 free kicks, nine more than any other key forward in the competition.
While North Melbourne has strongly backed Brown’s attack on the ball, the spearhead has come under fire for accentuating some contact from Adelaide ruckman Reilly O’Brien in a ruck contest on Saturday night.

Goddard said Brown, 26, had shown a tendency to play for free kicks in recent seasons and should stop the tactics because they were unlikely to be paid in finals time.
“There were two instances before that (free kick) which I thought were a bit iffy and playing against him, watching footy, being a past player, I’ve seen it happen before,” Goddard said on the Don’t Argue podcast.
“He’s got form. A bit of that is he is hard match-up because he’s an elite forward, so I’m not questioning his ability as a player.

“I just think in big moments, particularly in finals if that was actually to happen, I don’t think umpires are paying those free kicks.”
North Melbourne champion Wayne Carey agreed.
“He’s starting to do it far too consistently. It’s something he would like to take out of his game.”
46782da9dfc90e65c8666588162aa8cd
Ben Brown celebrates a goal against Adelaide.
Brown, who will face Essendon stoppers Cale Hooker and Michael Hurley in the Good Friday clash, returned to form in the win on Saturday night, snagging four goals.

The sharpshooter defended his playing style after the victory as the Roos prepare to notch their third-straight win over the Bombers.
“I try not to pay too much attention to what’s said around me,” Brown said.
“I think if we all did that (listen to criticism) we’d all get sad pretty quickly.
“I know that if I trust the way that I play … the ball will fall my way eventually.”
Goddard, who played 334 games at St Kilda and Essendon, said Brown’s teammates would want him to be strong in the contest.
“From a teammates’ point of view, it’s like, ‘Ben we need a contest from you, here’,” Goddard said.
“In the long term I don’t think it’s the right way to go about it.

“He has lacked some form and I understand a little bit how they try and play keepings off and it’s slow.
“In desperate times we tend to do desperate things.”
b61699d58ae06981957166951efa7f1e
Ben Brown under pressure in a marking contest.
Goddard said he made the mistake of staging for a free kick earlier in his career in a game against Carlton.

“Mitch Robinson might have just pushed me in the chest or something and I staged or flopped and the umpire at the time said, ‘BJ don’t do that’.

“They were all getting stuck into me and I saw it post game and I was embarrassed, and I said I’m not doing that again.

“Rightly so, people at the time in the media had a go at me.”

GOLDEN RUN
2018-2019 (Frees for key forwards)
Ben Brown (NM) 58
Justin Westhoff (PA) 49
Mason Cox (COLL) 45
Jesse Hogan (FRE) 38

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC

Brendon Goddard says Kangaroos’ spearhead Ben Brown must stop staging for free kicks
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
7 minutes ago
Brendon Goddard has urged North Melbourne spearhead Ben Brown to stop staging for free kicks as statistics show he is the most league’s rewarded key forward.
Since Round 1 last season Brown has been paid 58 free kicks, nine more than any other key forward in the competition.
While North Melbourne has strongly backed Brown’s attack on the ball, the spearhead has come under fire for accentuating some contact from Adelaide ruckman Reilly O’Brien in a ruck contest on Saturday night.

Goddard said Brown, 26, had shown a tendency to play for free kicks in recent seasons and should stop the tactics because they were unlikely to be paid in finals time.
“There were two instances before that (free kick) which I thought were a bit iffy and playing against him, watching footy, being a past player, I’ve seen it happen before,” Goddard said on the Don’t Argue podcast.
“He’s got form. A bit of that is he is hard match-up because he’s an elite forward, so I’m not questioning his ability as a player.

“I just think in big moments, particularly in finals if that was actually to happen, I don’t think umpires are paying those free kicks.”
North Melbourne champion Wayne Carey agreed.
“He’s starting to do it far too consistently. It’s something he would like to take out of his game.”
46782da9dfc90e65c8666588162aa8cd
Ben Brown celebrates a goal against Adelaide.
Brown, who will face Essendon stoppers Cale Hooker and Michael Hurley in the Good Friday clash, returned to form in the win on Saturday night, snagging four goals.

The sharpshooter defended his playing style after the victory as the Roos prepare to notch their third-straight win over the Bombers.
“I try not to pay too much attention to what’s said around me,” Brown said.
“I think if we all did that (listen to criticism) we’d all get sad pretty quickly.
“I know that if I trust the way that I play … the ball will fall my way eventually.”
Goddard, who played 334 games at St Kilda and Essendon, said Brown’s teammates would want him to be strong in the contest.
“From a teammates’ point of view, it’s like, ‘Ben we need a contest from you, here’,” Goddard said.
“In the long term I don’t think it’s the right way to go about it.

“He has lacked some form and I understand a little bit how they try and play keepings off and it’s slow.
“In desperate times we tend to do desperate things.”
b61699d58ae06981957166951efa7f1e
Ben Brown under pressure in a marking contest.
Goddard said he made the mistake of staging for a free kick earlier in his career in a game against Carlton.

“Mitch Robinson might have just pushed me in the chest or something and I staged or flopped and the umpire at the time said, ‘BJ don’t do that’.

“They were all getting stuck into me and I saw it post game and I was embarrassed, and I said I’m not doing that again.

“Rightly so, people at the time in the media had a go at me.”

GOLDEN RUN
2018-2019 (Frees for key forwards)
Ben Brown (NM) 58
Justin Westhoff (PA) 49
Mason Cox (COLL) 45
Jesse Hogan (FRE) 38

Any surprised this is coming out right before we play the scum, who he has toweled up in the past?

Hopefully the umps don't fall for it.

Jul 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi Rob - traditionally the club has had a clip of Join in the Chorus up soon after past wins.

Of course it's possible to watch on the replay but it's a great thing to be able to watch straight away for fans heading home after the game. Would be good to have this practice back in action, hopefully every week for the remainder of the season.

Thanks for posting on here, you and Heath specifically do some very watchable content on camera.

Sorry about that - that was an oversight on our end after the game not to duplicate on YouTube.

Please see below.

Thanks for the kind message too - really appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the message.

Certainly not going into hiding - it's all about catering the message to the current mood/sentiment.

After three straight losses, a lot of fans understandably don't want to see a player interview talking about how we can improve etc. - we don't want to force content that members and supporters don't want to see and cause further frustration in a tough time.

Likewise when things are going well, we want to share as much content as we can so you can enjoy it.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
I think you do a great job

It cuts off when it gets interesting...!

Scotts picked up on the ‘man’ comment
The next part was mainly about the former players doing an apprenticeship in the media before going after their former brethren.

In a nut shell, Scott said that the Adelaide rucks like engaging in body contact so it was a ploy to use BBB as someone who likes to run and jump. The umps had told the clubs that an arm out fending off would be a free kick. Credit where it's due, that was a good bit of coaching.

In a nut shell, Scott said that the Adelaide rucks like engaging in body contact so it was a ploy to use BBB as someone who likes to run and jump. The umps had told the clubs that an arm out fending off would be a free kick. Credit where it's due, that was a good bit of coaching.
NORTH Melbourne coach Brad Scott has again jumped to the defence of his spearhead Ben Brown after a former star accused him of "flopping" for free kicks and not playing "like a man" during the Kangaroos' win over Adelaide on Saturday.

Recently retired former Essendon and St Kilda player Brendon Goddard, in his special comments role on radio, couldn't mask his disdain for Brown's approach during the clash at Marvel Stadium.

In the Roos' ice-breaking win, Brown netted a season-high haul of four goals, but Goddard felt he was the beneficiary of three dubious free kicks and was particularly scathing of how Brown seemed to accentuate body contact in a ruck duel in the third quarter.

"Ben Brown, just stand up and play like a man," Goddard, whose 334-game career ended last year, said on ABC Radio.

"Why are the umpires buying into that? Make a stand and say, 'Ben that's not acceptable – stop staging or flopping for free kicks'."

For the second successive week, Scott backed his forward, who last week came under criticism from North legend Wayne Carey.

"When it's questioning your football it's fair enough, but when you tell a player to be a man, I think that oversteps the mark a little bit and starts to question Ben's integrity," Scott told Fox Footy's AFL 360 on Monday night.

"Ben Brown is a man of the highest integrity, who launches at the ball wherever possible. We've certainly spoken to 'Browny' a lot about (that) because if you can't launch at the ball there's a reason for it – he's either being impeded or they're coming over the top.

"He does get a lot of free kicks but most of them are there, and if you analyse the behind-the-goal vision there's a lot more there too."

However, Scott revealed that Brown had conjured the ruck free kick by sticking to "a plan".

"We had done a fair bit of work on Adelaide's rucks and they certainly like to body (opponents), and Ben's not a body-on-body type ruckman – he's a jumper," the Roos coach explained.

"And the umpires have made it really clear to us that if you fend, if you straight-arm, the opposition ruckman it's a free kick.

"The first ruck contest of the game was paid against 'Goldy' (North big man Todd Goldstein) for doing the same thing, so our strategy in the forward 50 was for Ben to run and jump at the ball and if he was fended it would be a free kick."

Scott also said the Kangaroos would likely appeal the one-game suspension meted out to defender Luke McDonald for engaging in rough conduct against Chayce Jones.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

I hope Ben et al take Wayne's comments as a compliment.

He clearly rates him and in no world was Ben's game great, particularly in relation to his maximal ability.

It's good that Carey is getting passionate about some North related topics lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back