Opinion Commentary & Media III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This might be unpopular around these parts, but this kind of thing isn't at all tough. In fact it's the complete opposite IMO.

Toughness is Jed using his body as a cannon ball with no regard for his own safety, or Jack's relentless attack on the footy, or Taz standing under a high ball to intercept mark, or Brown pushing past the mental and physical barrier to run 15kms every game, or what Cunners does the other 99% of the time.

It's cheap, it's soft, it's everything that Cunners isn't. He needs to get it out of his game.

FWIW I agree, I had no issue with the Vince hit as Bernie tried to clip him then strutted over for seconds but these other ones are unnecessary

This might be unpopular around these parts, but this kind of thing isn't at all tough. In fact it's the complete opposite IMO.

Toughness is Jed using his body as a cannon ball with no regard for his own safety, or Jack's relentless attack on the footy, or Taz standing under a high ball to intercept mark, or Brown pushing past the mental and physical barrier to run 15kms every game, or what Cunners does the other 99% of the time.

It's cheap, it's soft, it's everything that Cunners isn't. He needs to get it out of his game.

I'm neither here nor there. I agree there's nothing particularly tough about and I'm comfortable asking Ben to calm it a bit. I actually don't think it's in any way an integral part of his game, but fine level tummy rubs are not exactly sniping in my book. Couldn't care less if he eliminated them and I doubt he would much care either way.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have zero issue with it and have zero issue with it coming back the other way.

I also reserve the right for oppo fans to hate it and likewise reserve the right to go off my nut when it happens to one of our boys.

This is also my theory towards most things sport related, most poignantly the score review. Technology should be thrown out of the game. Umpires call is the end of it.

Howler? Costs you a grand final? Stiff s**t.

And if it happended to North it'd be stiff s**t to me.

Injustice is part of life, and probably the most undervalued element of the sport experience.

#footy

Not as unpopular opinion as you think.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The funny thing about this is that Jed has gotten away with a few (not to snitch). There’s been plenty of times he gets there late and swings the arm anyway.

Is it tough? No. Is it a cheap shot? Yes. Does our players wanting to hurt the opposition make us harder to play against? Absolutely.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Coalface

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2015
Jakarta
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fish Creek Football Club
Broke or suspended. I've often wondered do the players really pay the fines themselves. I know the rules say they should but I just wonder.

Was thinking about it the other day, would it come out of their pockets or the pay check, i.e. is it money they've paid tax on or would it reduce their taxable income for the year?

Vaguely remember hearing someone say it is deducted out of their salary as there was a time when some players didn't pay up.

Yep, that’s the way it happens these days from memory. So Cunners will have $5k less in next month’s cheque from North (approx a gross figure of $66,000) and won’t even notice the difference.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, that’s the way it happens these days from memory. So Cunners will have $5k less in next month’s cheque from North (approx a gross figure of $66,000) and won’t even notice the difference.

I know we joke that the fines go toward the MRP Christmas Party but is there an actual policy of where the money from fines go?

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
It would be after tax income, and not claimable.
From AFLPA website,

Fines and penalties for on-field conduct and legal expenses associated with such fines and penalties (e.g.a Tribunal imposed fine) will be tax deductible.

This is on the basis they relate to your performance as a Player as part of the game.

Fines imposed by your employer Club for off-field breaches of conduct (e.g.breaking team rules) will not be tax deductible.

Other fines imposed under Australian Law generally (e.g.speeding or parking fines) are also not tax deductible.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really? Well there you go. Soldiers that get fines by the Army don't get to claim it on tax.

In fact they fine by 'numbers of day pay', then deduct it from your wages over the following pays until it is paid out. The trouble is 'number of days pay' is a gross amount, the payments are taken from your net pay.

Sucks to get a fine.

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably stating the obvious a little here but I get the impression that under Shaw the boys have been instructed to make the opposition earn absolutely every touch. Seems like we’ve been going out of our way to make contact with the opponent at every opportunity, even as the ball is leaving the area. Has resulted in quite a few downfield frees but I think it’s a minor price to pay for the mental and physical intimidation factor we’re creating.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I’ve been talking about this with a couple of mates. We reckon they’ll never scrap the fine system because they make so much money out of it.
The AFL pays $250,000 towards concussion research each year, and that is paid for by tribunal fines. (From the current collective bargaining agreement). If there is any shortfall, the AFL pays for it itself. Haven't bene able to find what happens if total fines are more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back