Opinion Commentary & Media III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why do people bring up NFL like it has any relevance to AFL injuries?

I'm fully supportive of the AFL on this one telling those dumb campaigners like Barnes to gagf.

Bunch of ambulance chasing noobs if you ask me, you get $400k p.a to get hurt - if you don't want to get hurt, get an office job.
Crikey! I reckon "getting hurt" and suffering life altering brain damage are fairly different.
Surely if we can develop technology to avoid the potential consequences we should?

What’s he doing? Does he think he’s got CTE? It can only be diagnosed in an autopsy, though they’re close to diagnosing it in a living person

It was posted here a while ago but here's a link.

FWIW I've noticed I get a bit more likely to lose control and get angry and I've had a few concussions. Not enough that i would have thought it was a problem tho. My old man went a bit that way too. Both of us had reasonably good self control when we were younger and mine is still pretty good - I rarely lose it, except at the footy or kids. (Could just be the kids tho, little shits:heart:.) Or early onset dementia or something else - just getting old and cranky maybe.

I don't have seizures tho dad had strange ones as a young man.

My brother in law (ex Fizroy now Lions supporter) is down from Qld and seeing we plan to watch most of the footy shows tonight, he challenged me to have a shot of Drambuie for every mention of "Nth's lowest score in their history", very tempting, but on the grounds of self preservation, I had to decline.

Agree. But the odds are we won't be a factor for the next few years. The delayed 'rebuild' is going to see some lean times ahead.

I dunno about that. There are 3 games we should have won under Scott that we lost - Swans, Hawks, Freo - and we'd be in the 8 now after an average year and you could count that first Geelong game if we kicked straight, we did have more scoring shots. They were s**t efforts. Games we should have won that you could put on the coach, and even if you couldn't ... well history has now. All that talk about our list being crap has disappeared as Shaw's tenure went on. We aren't in that lower tier of s**t teams or we wouldn't have been able to challenge (or in some cases beat) so many top 8 teams in the last 2 months. We're in that ridiculously even middle group between the top and bottom four. At the bottom end but only cos 2 halves of our season have been different. We were 3 and 7 (really 2 and 7) under Scott and have been 5 and 5 under Shaw with some controversial and close losses. Its reasonable to assume we'd be in the top end of that group if he'd coached the whole season.

Under Shaw we've had comeback wins and games where we have responded to challenges that we might have failed to meet under Scott. That was the expectation of most fans and members - those wins were pleasant surprises. We've played with the hardness that was our trademark for the first time this season. There are reports he has made skill training compulsory at every session after skills costing us so many games for so long. I'd expect we'll improve with this list off the back of his coaching alone next year.

However losing Thommo could set us back. He's a very important player.

Our current rebuild has been going for 3 seasons. Out of it we have Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar, LDU, TT, Bailey Scott and possibly a few others (Walker, Hayden, Xerri, Taylor etal). We should get at least one (and maybe two) good picks this draft. We are in danger of falling into the "endless rebuild" trap atm and we need to start seeing results for the rebuild we've had since Boomer et al left.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Crikey! I reckon "getting hurt" and suffering life altering brain damage are fairly different.
Surely if we can develop technology to avoid the potential consequences we should?

But where does it end OP?
Do we ban heading the ball in football? Do we ban contact sport?

Injuries happen. Brain injuries happen as a result of contact sport. You sign the waiver, and get paid handsomely to put yourself at risk.

But I guess I just don't want to see our players wearing stupid helmets which will imo only increase those leading with their head and putting themselves at even more risk of injury - that is how I see it playing out.

So further to that:

If we see improvements in skills, continuing hardness at the ball, better fitness throughout the season and ... at least being ready for round one whatever the result then the Glenn and Ben show has already proved its worth.

If during the year we go from playing 25 - 30 players to 30+ over the whole season then we'd expect to finish the year stronger than we have over the last few seasons, simply cos less blokes are cooked. That would be another plus for the process or lack of it.

Injuries happen. Brain injuries happen as a result of contact sport. You sign the waiver, and get paid handsomely to put yourself at risk.

But I guess I just don't want to see our players wearing stupid helmets which will imo only increase those leading with their head and putting themselves at even more risk of injury - that is how I see it playing out.

That won't happen if parents stop their kids playing the sport as a junior because of the potential health risks.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Or we create an algorithm that factors in human error, player attributes, coaching tactics, and weather conditions. Then we put on our VR headsets from the safety of our own homes and watch the gameplay out that way. It will feel lifelike. Those under the age of 15 will watch an edited non-violent version. The crowd will be automated and won't boo. Eric Hipwood will be the first AFL player to change their gender to female and play AFLW.

Laugh now but it's a reality. AFL save a tonne of money = big win.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
That won't happen if parents stop their kids playing the sport as a junior because of the potential health risks.

I see that as a good thing.

This is not a sport for everyone. I certainly wouldn't want my kids wasting their time playing it.

Love it, sure, attend North games where possible, absolutely, but my boys play golf, football and snowboard and they come with their own risks.

I told them they can earn $500k+ per year playing footy or $500k+ per week playing football and Tiger earnt up to $3m per week at the height of his fame.

Not exactly a tough choice.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My brother in law (ex Fizroy now Lions supporter) is down from Qld and seeing we plan to watch most of the footy shows tonight, he challenged me to have a shot of Drambuie for every mention of "Nth's lowest score in their history", very tempting, but on the grounds of self preservation, I had to decline.

It’s not our lowest score. They’re only going back to 1924. We scored less many times before that..

Seriously!

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

This is not a sport for everyone. I certainly wouldn't want my kids wasting their time playing it.

Love it, sure, attend North games where possible, absolutely, but my boys play golf, football and snowboard and they come with their own risks.

I told them they can earn $500k+ per year playing footy or $500k+ per week playing football and Tiger earnt up to $3m per week at the height of his fame.

With that logic they should be basketballers or soccer players.
How many Tiger Woods are there?
An average footballer still earns $200k.
An average golfer earns $100 giving lessons or working at golf courses.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
With that logic they should be basketballers or soccer players.
How many Tiger Woods are there?
An average footballer still earns $200k.
An average golfer earns $100 giving lessons or working at golf courses.

What is football mate?

Clear distinction between football (football) and footy (AFL).

Basketball is for tall people, we are less than 6 feet tall. It also happens to be a s**t sport.

Its alot easier to earn 400K + playing AFL than almost any other sport isn't it? The recruitment pool is much lower and the proportion of spots to people in that pool is higher than any other high paying sport.

Seriously!

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What is football mate?

Clear distinction between football (football) and footy (AFL).

Basketball is for tall people, we are less than 6 feet tall. It also happens to be a s**t sport.
Sorry mate didn’t realise you’re a Pom.
In Australia, Football and Footy is AFL designed for the rugged.
Soccer , often called football by the Poms, is designed for actors that are scared of tackling.
Point remains, pointing your kids to golf and soccer for $$ is delusional.
Can totally understand though if they are small you don’t want them to get bruised.
Toughen up princess or you’ll end up raising wimps hiding behind some falsehood of earning big $.

Damo backed up for another crack

Has taken to calling it The Glenn and Ben show

He's so funny
But, maybe he is correct? Certainly we had no hurry to sign Shaw I suppose. He wasn't being chased by other clubs. Maybe.........

Sorry mate didn’t realise you’re a Pom.
In Australia, Football and Footy is AFL designed for the rugged.
Soccer , often called football by the Poms, is designed for actors that are scared of tackling.
Point remains, pointing your kids to golf and soccer for $$ is delusional.
Can totally understand though if they are small you don’t want them to get bruised.
Toughen up princess or you’ll end up raising wimps hiding behind some falsehood of earning big $.

He's from "the rest of the world somewhere" not Pommyland.

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But, maybe he is correct? Certainly we had no hurry to sign Shaw I suppose. He wasn't being chased by other clubs. Maybe.........
With a caretaker coach we were in caretaker mode. With a full time coach we can start making serious plans for next year: list management, trade, draft, coaching team, game plan etc. etc.

Yep. In order, worst losses this season:

Freo Rd1
*, Good Friday
Sydney in Hobart
*, 2nd time
Hawthorn, Rd 3?
Saturday night

The top 3 were outstandingly disgraceful. Worst losses in years.
I'd have this as worse than the Hawthorn loss and second * game, but yep. 4th worst loss for the year at worst. More kind of hilariously bad than genuinely infuriating. I can think of some times under Scott that they were completely opened up, the blown lead in the rain vs Collingwood at the G, the 2014 prelim, the 2012 elim, some of those 2013 games, the Year That Shall Not Be Named - all more depressing than this one.

I will not stand idly by while someone even suggests damo may be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back