Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have this as worse than the Hawthorn loss and second * game, but yep. 4th worst loss for the year at worst. More kind of hilariously bad than genuinely infuriating. I can think of some times under Scott that they were completely opened up, the blown lead in the rain vs Collingwood at the G, the 2014 prelim, the 2012 elim, some of those 2013 games, the Year That Shall Not Be Named - all more depressing than this one.

Fair call on those two games, but there was method in my madness. I hated the 2nd * loss because we were inept in that last 2 minutes. All we had to do was lock it up, or at the very least, not give it back to them in the corridor (thanks, Ats). I hated the Hawthorn loss because after we jumped them in the first quarter, you could see Clarkson systematically dismantling our gameplan and our coach had nothing. They (Hawthorn) weren't even much good that day, they just knew which buttons to push for us to beat ourselves.

When conceding a last 11 second goal to the eternal rival and losing doesn't make the podium of your worst losses for the year, it's time to pack up and go home.

Why would I watch a game at River Plate.
I’ve sat directly behind Lionel Messi at Camp Nou to watch a game.
Do yourself a favour and check that place out, even Messi prefers it to Argentina. 😂

I have. It's a great stadium but filled with prawn sandwich eating tourists (possibly like you :) ) It's an ordinary atmosphere and I personally don't like watching a bunch of protected species run around - I can do that at Healesville Sanctuary or Kardinia Park. We have better atmosphere at our Volleyball games.

If you support River, you tend to support Real over Barca because of Di Stefano.

And some more history for you, the only people who want to be in Argentina right now are the Chinese (snapping up bargains), Venezuelans (because they have nowhere else to go) and Daniel De Rossi (who knows why?)

So many downplayed the loss over the weekend as just a bad night.
It wasn’t.
Those statistics are disgusting and are indicative of what an embarassing performance it was. Indefensible.

Yeh it's funny, there's actually been a slight under-reaction to it. Even I felt underwhelmed.

The players handed Rhyce a turd sandwich. If he does nothing in response then you have to assume he enjoyed it.

Yeh it's funny, there's actually been a slight under-reaction to it. Even I felt underwhelmed.

The players handed Rhyce a turd sandwich. If he does nothing in response then you have to assume he enjoyed it.
Cunnington, Higgins, Polec and Ziebell were amongst our worst players on the night. If we drop a kid or a flanker instead this week - whats really changed?

Shaw will stamp his authority on the team this week with his selections and he will either go the Clarko route or the Scott route.
I honestly believe the standards we set for 2020 begin with the response this week and how much onus we put on a players performance.
We’re gonna end up like Adelaide wondering what to do with Tex Walker or were gonna be bold and make a statement at selection.

I honestly believe though this group is not mentally ready for a seniors players demotion and it’ll cause ripples through the group. There will be hugs and tears if a senior player ever gets left out.

Or...he’s limited to what he can actually do because the bench is so bare.
It’s not like you can single out 2 or 3 players and drop them.
There is no one playing seconds that would actually have made a difference and the leadership group didn’t exactly step up.
They can either dwell on it and feed the ferals in media and BF or move on and focus on at least being competitive this weekend.

There is no one playing seconds that would actually have made a difference and the leadership group didn’t exactly step up.
They can either dwell on it and feed the ferals in media and BF or move on and focus on at least being competitive this weekend.

True, but it is the perfect time to send a message at the selection table, to set the standard going forward.

On form, JZ should be the big scalp but I do subscribe to the view that you don't drop your captain. I think it might be Jed again, unfortunately, and probably one of Wood or Garner. Bring in Hosie and ?

When conceding a last 11 second goal to the eternal rival and losing doesn't make the podium of your worst losses for the year, it's time to pack up and go home.

I have. It's a great stadium but filled with prawn sandwich eating tourists (possibly like you :) ) It's an ordinary atmosphere and I personally don't like watching a bunch of protected species run around - I can do that at Healesville Sanctuary or Kardinia Park. We have better atmosphere at our Volleyball games.

If you support River, you tend to support Real over Barca because of Di Stefano.

And some more history for you, the only people who want to be in Argentina right now are the Chinese (snapping up bargains), Venezuelans (because they have nowhere else to go) and Daniel De Rossi (who knows why?)
So you want me to watch a soccer match in Argentina with the Chinese and Venezuelans because all the Argentinian’s have left. 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but it is the perfect time to send a message at the selection table, to set the standard going forward.

On form, JZ should be the big scalp but I do subscribe to the view that you don't drop your captain. I think it might be Jed again, unfortunately, and probably one of Wood or Garner. Bring in Hosie and ?
Bring in the kids.
Let them have a go now the season has passed us by.
Geez, Zurhaar was a kid at the beginning of the year, now he is a crucial part of the forward line. Let’s try them.
Swing the Bull into the midfield, nothing to lose.
McKay, Hosie, Durds should all come in.
JZ, Higgins and Simpkin can all sit on the bench, that’s a message.

Not so sure - this bloke has some good ideas:

Bring in the kids.
Geez, Zurhaar was a kid at the beginning of the year, now he is a crucial part of the forward line. Let’s try them.

Cunnington, Higgins, Polec and Ziebell were amongst our worst players on the night. If we drop a kid or a flanker instead this week - whats really changed?

Shaw will stamp his authority on the team this week with his selections and he will either go the Clarko route or the Scott route.
I honestly believe the standards we set for 2020 begin with the response this week and how much onus we put on a players performance.
We’re gonna end up like Adelaide wondering what to do with Tex Walker or were gonna be bold and make a statement at selection.

I honestly believe though this group is not mentally ready for a seniors players demotion and it’ll cause ripples through the group. There will be hugs and tears if a senior player ever gets left out.
Yeah not sure about the hugs and tears.
Reckon the new stable of players are getting frustrated by the old guard not being held accountable. If TT played like JZ did on the weekend he’d be benched for the last 2 games. Higgins looks like he has checked out and has become a one dimensional player, young players are pissed by this and one actually told Higgins just that.

Yeah not sure about the hugs and tears.
Reckon the new stable of players are getting frustrated by the old guard not being held accountable. If TT played like JZ did on the weekend he’d be benched for the last 2 games. Higgins looks like he has checked out and has become a one dimensional player, young players are pi**ed by this and one actually told Higgins just that.
We have had this issue for the past 10 years and even under Shaw the same senior players keep letting us down.

The forwards aren’t to blame as the ball hardly came in.
The defenders deserve to take a slice of the midfielders paychecks for last weeks game. Thompson and MacMillan in particular.

So it lies with the midfield. Higgins has been hot and cold since his return but one players game who has suffered since his return is Jys. I’m all for moving Higgins to half forward or a wing and getting Jy as the main attacking centreman again.

We have had this issue for the past 10 years and even under Shaw the same senior players keep letting us down.

The forwards aren’t to blame as the ball hardly came in.
The defenders deserve to take a slice of the midfielders paychecks for last weeks game. Thompson and MacMillan in particular.

So it lies with the midfield. Higgins has been hot and cold since his return but one players game who has suffered since his return is Jys. I’m all for moving Higgins to half forward or a wing and getting Jy as the main attacking centreman again.

He's a sacred cow round these parts but I've pointed out a few times, for a bloke who can play like a raging bull, Ben Cunnington sure does like watching blokes just traipse past him without even a token tackle attempt to slow them.

He's a sacred cow round these parts but I've pointed out a few times, for a bloke who can play like a raging bull, Ben Cunnington sure does like watching blokes just traipse past him without even a token tackle attempt to slow them.
If I’m an opposition midfielder with the football and Cunnington is in my way, I’m backing myself in to motor past and get a clear possession away.
Cunningtons influence and fear factor with and without the ball is chalk and cheese. And yes his job is to win the footy and that’s why he’s in the team - but what happens when he’s not?

Marc McGowan sums it up below:

“The Kangaroos were smashed 47-26 in the clearances (their worst differential since round 18, 2017), won 25 fewer contested possessions, and lost the inside-50 count by 28 (the club's equal-worst differential since the 2016 elimination final).”

If I’m an opposition midfielder with the football and Cunnington is in my way, I’m backing myself in to motor past and get a clear possession away.
Cunningtons influence and fear factor with and without the ball is chalk and cheese. And yes his job is to win the footy and that’s why he’s in the team - but what happens when he’s not?

Marc McGowan sums it up below:

“The Kangaroos were smashed 47-26 in the clearances (their worst differential since round 18, 2017), won 25 fewer contested possessions, and lost the inside-50 count by 28 (the club's equal-worst differential since the 2016 elimination final).”

Um, ok, we get it. It was a really s**t effort. We all get that. McGowan's numbers simply reflect that. But continually making the point is becoming unnecessary.

Um, ok, we get it. It was a really s**t effort. We all get that. McGowan's numbers simply reflect that. But continually making the point is becoming unnecessary.
Sorry mate. I apologize for shooting Bambi 🙄
Moving on

Great read, not just focused on poor players but also includes Rhyce’s failed tactics and game plan as well. It was an all round klusterf. Must learn.

I hear ya.

I thought it was no coincidence that when Ablett moved up ground to get a kick after half time, he went straight to Ben.

The term "wizards sleeve" kept buzzing around my head right about then.

Bring in the kids.

Simpkin is a kid too. He has to stay in, from my perspective.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back