Opinion Commentary & Media III

Status
Not open for further replies.

An alternative view...

Read a couple more of his tweets - he's a Barrett apologist. Suggests that Damo is still "one of us" who does work "behind the scenes". I call bullsh!t on that.

For clarity, NO he isn't one of us and NO he hasn't done anything beneficial to the club behind the scenes.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Read a couple more of his tweets - he's a Barrett apologist. Suggests that Damo is still "one of us" who does work "behind the scenes". I call bullsh!t on that.

For clarity, NO he isn't one of us and NO he hasn't done anything beneficial to the club behind the scenes.

Behind the scenes doesn’t mean s**t when you’re s**t canning publicly

From now on I’m going to use that as my excuse whenever I’m called out for being a complete prick.

‘Don’t worry. I’m doing other things behind the scenes.’

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Barret would have to be doing a shitload of work behind the scenes to make up for that s**t.

It's a clearly negatively biased article that does NOTHING (except the word 'exciting' at one point) to paint the club in a good light; quite the opposite.

Lth.gif

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't see the fuss to be honest. We get on here and s**t can the coach, the recruiting, the board, week to week performances, our membership packages, the players, the VFL list, the clubs extra curricular work, the clubs membership numbers, the finances, the lack of football people etc etc etc

Damo does the same thing and everyone goes bat s**t crazy. The club has work to do, and we need to start by getting everything right for a red hot crack at winning games in 2020.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Did he really say that? Definitely not true, he has said as much on his podcast with Hutchy.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Don't see the fuss to be honest. We get on here and s**t can the coach, the recruiting, the board, week to week performances, our membership packages, the players, the VFL list, the clubs extra curricular work, the clubs membership numbers, the finances, the lack of football people etc etc etc

Damo does the same thing and everyone goes bat s**t crazy. The club has work to do, and we need to start by getting everything right for a red hot crack at winning games in 2020.

Barrett is shitcanning the club for making changes pretty much. Some of the s**t he’s written has to be spoon fed by Scott or a sympathiser.

Nothing he’s written is from a perspective of wanting North to improve.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Barrett is shitcanning the club for making changes pretty much. Some of the s**t he’s written has to be spoon fed by Scott or a sympathiser.

Nothing he’s written is from a perspective of wanting North to improve.
Yeah, I disagree.

We made these changes despite the financial cost, and that now there is pressure to ensure we made the right appointments as their replacements for obvious on field and off field reasons. I for one am sick and tired of being almost rans, not surprised a north supporting journo is critical of what we have been of late

Thanks for clarifying - the first para where you called bullshit I thought you were really sitting on the fence;)

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yeah, I disagree.

We made these changes despite the financial cost, and that now there is pressure to ensure we made the right appointments as their replacements for obvious on field and off field reasons. I for one am sick and tired of being almost rans, not surprised a north supporting journo is critical of what we have been of late

Barrett is a gossip columnist first, North supporter when it suits him.

Financial cost is part of the price for removing under performers. Getting rid of the underperformers might lift us from being alsorans. And of course there is pressure to perform. There should be. Probably hasn’t been enough at the club.

A North supporter would be praising the club for moving on from mediocrity. Barrett prefers to barrack for turmoil. It’s a better story for him.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Barrett is a gossip columnist first, North supporter when it suits him.

Financial cost is part of the price for removing under performers. Getting rid of the underperformers might lift us from being alsorans. And of course there is pressure to perform. There should be. Probably hasn’t been enough at the club.

A North supporter would be praising the club for moving on from mediocrity. Barrett prefers to barrack for turmoil. It’s a better story for him.
We don't need praise. We need wins. And if these appointments don't deliver some, we will slide further down the pecking order - if we aren't already last anyway. s**t fixture, tv, membership numbers, stadium deals all stem from wins. So when Damo says there is a fair amount the club HAS to get right this year, I agree with him.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It's a bit of a "No s**t, Sherlock" article if you ask me, albeit quite pessimistic as we've come to expect from this journalist. Not sure why everyone is losing their s**t over it, other than for the fact that Barrett is supposed to be a North supporter. Otherwise, I'm sure most of us would agree that these 3 appointments had better work as we are not going to be happy with another 10 years without a grand final appearance. Whether that also leads to a Tasmanian relocation is highly debatable. But just as with Caro in 2007, I'd prefer reading these articles warning us about the AFL's evil intent rather than hearing after the fact that the deal has been done and there's nothing we can do about it.

While I agree that winning, winning well and winning Grand Finals makes a massive difference to our resilience I think people are kidding themselves if they think that everyone will just start sucking our knobs because of that. There are a whole bunch of people in this industry - clubs in worse financial positions in Melbourne amongst them - that are quite happy to see us get hammered from all and sunbury. People don't like our club and would be happy to see us die to make their positions appear more secure. Make no bones about it, if we had won in 2016 instead of the Bulldogs we would never have had the industry fawning all over us.

We need to grind these competitors into the ground - on field and off. I have zero interest in being a liked club now, I'd prefer if we were outright hated instead of this sniveling coward stuff we put up with now - and I'd be happy if we tried to harness such hatred aggressively. Things like the no pokies stand, great, you know what we should be doing - actively campaigning and being outspoken about the others getting out of them as well. They have no qualms about using their clout and fixturing to make us weaker, we should have no qualms whatsoever about using what competitive advantages we have to hamstring and piss off other clubs.

Well said Shinte.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a bit of a "No s**t, Sherlock" article if you ask me, albeit quite pessimistic as we've come to expect from this journalist. Not sure why everyone is losing their s**t over it, other than for the fact that Barrett is supposed to be a North supporter. Otherwise, I'm sure most of us would agree that these 3 appointments had better work as we are not going to be happy with another 10 years without a grand final appearance. Whether that also leads to a Tasmanian relocation is highly debatable. But just as with Caro in 2007, I'd prefer reading these articles warning us about the AFL's evil intent rather than hearing after the fact that the deal has been done and there's nothing we can do about it.
Yeah, I agree. He points out the obvious from the past few years to create a narrative to further support his point we better have nailed these decisions.

Is he warning us or shilling for someone else? (The second thing is obviously a warning too, just not a deliberate one.)

Not all of us shitcan everything. Some of us even get up the people who do.

Anyway damo's article is sus. I'll get to why unless I go to bed.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Probably the answer here is in your own words. "Damo" is a journalist. He isn't paid to "s**t can" any club. If there is pressure from the AFL for North to relocate, I'd love to know more about it. If there is turmoil at the club, he should be exposing it. But that's not "Damo's" kind of journalism. This article is just a long-winded version of the bloke at the pub saying "Norf are s**t. Why don't they piss off down to Tassie cos they're a joke."

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
We don't need praise. We need wins. And if these appointments don't deliver some, we will slide further down the pecking order - if we aren't already last anyway. s**t fixture, tv, membership numbers, stadium deals all stem from wins. So when Damo says there is a fair amount the club HAS to get right this year, I agree with him.

Problem is, Ol’ Damo is critical of us making changes. Of course the new appointments need to deliver. It’s the nature of the business. The previous appointments didn’t deliver yet he’s critical of getting new people in. He’s looking for turmoil and he’ll attempt to drum it up.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Wilson wasn’t warning us about the AFL’s evil intent she was barracking for it. Barrett will be heading down the same path.

Barrett can take the Wilson path or champion our cause like Rohan Connelly, a ******* * supporter.

Looks like he was born after the Swans and Fitzroy were shafted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back