Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that’s really what Robbo or one of his lesser colleagues wrote?

There is an article in the Herald Sun about our rivalry with the Bombers and why we really hate them.

Last edited:
Tis is kinda what ive been told but other can confirm.......

In 1896, Essendon and Geelong led a breakaway of clubs to form the VFL but Essendon successfully lobbied against North Melbourne’s inclusion even though the Shinboners were 6th on the ladder at the time. Essendon’s concern was that its most successful recruiting suburbs were North Melbourne, West Melbourne and Kensington. Furthermore, Nth Melbourne’s home ground was more centrally located giving it stronger economic prospects. By excluding North, Essendon had a monopoly on the north west region.

To the North Melbourne’s credit, it responded to the VFL’s (Essendon's) rejection in an admirable manner. In the VFA, it became a powerhouse - winning premierships in 1903 and 1904. It also won a record of 59 games in a row.

North again applied to join VFL in 1908 but was rejected once again I believe through Essendon and Richmond lobbying) . To make matters worse, the VFA punished North Melbourne by excluding it from the VFA. To save the club, all committee members resigned to allow a new committee to form that was not tainted by the attempted defection. With the committee punished, the VFA allowed the club to continue. It went on to win more premierships in 1910, 1914, 1915 and 1918.

In 1922, North Melbourne and Essendon proposed a merger. For North, the merger was an opportunity to enter the VFL. Meanwhile, Essendon wanted North's centrally located home ground. With the merger agreed in principle, North disbanded and sent their players to Essendon. This was highly problematic for the VFA as North was their only inner city club thus a key asset in their battle against the VFL. To protect their asset, the VFA persuade the State Minister for Lands to veto Essendon’s move to North's home ground. With Essendon unable to move, the merger was called off. Essendon found another ground but with North Melbourne’s champions Syd Barker and Charlie Hardy now playing for it. Meanwhile, North had to reform (thank God!) and find some players. As far as failed mergers go, it was the epitome of lose win.

With Essendon having almost 25 years head start and North's best players, it no longer saw the club as a threat. The VFL subsequently gave North an invitation to join the VFL in 1925. Given the circumstances of its entry, it was understandable that the club performed poorly on the field. Nevertheless, it gained a strong following. By 1937, the club had secured a staunch membership of 2400 — then a VFL record.

Wasn't there also some sectarian rivalry? Essendon was a predominantly Protestent and North predominantly Catholic in the beginnings

-* are a dirtbag club
-full of self-important w***ers
-faux tough guys like Ronnie Andrews
-snipers like Merrett and Hardwick, those 2 Johnson clowns and that other douchebag that went to Gold Coast?....can’t even remember his name.
-Sheedy invented aboriginal footballers?.??
-Sheedy invented the anzacs
-sheedy just a plumber zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
-sheedy blah blah
-Timmy Watson’s completely biased view and reporting on the drug saga

I did like seeing Mickey drag Hird along on his face though
And Scotty Lucas soiling himself when he went anywhere near Arch though.
The drug saga summed em up to a tee IMO

Vanders could play a bit though. One of the only Bombres I’ve ever enjoyed watching.

This article is from the May 27 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.
JON RALPH

No mellowing of Roos-Dons rivalry after Shaw taunt

NORTH Melbourne legend Glenn Archer says his club’s hatred of Essendon is real after Rhyce Shaw’s pointed gibe yesterday about sharing a plane with the Bombers.

Shaw said catching a flight to Sydney with Essendon for their Round 2 matches on Sunday , June 14, was “not ideal, especially with that team, but we’ll just see how we go” .

The comment was laughed off as light-hearted but there remains genuine rivalry dating back almost 100 years.

Essendon tried to block North Melbourne’s entry because it would hamper its recruiting grounds, and 95 years on many Kangaroos still hate the Dons.

Jake Stringer’s cheeky wave to the North Melbourne crowd as he sealed a 2018 win was the latest incident to fire up North.

Archer said he hated Essendon so much he wouldn’t even mention the name of the club.

“I don’t use their name. The team next door, I call them — it’s not part of my vocabulary … it is a legitimate rivalry, particularly in my mind,” he said.

“Whenever I speak to young guys, it is something I say — ‘you do need to realise how much we hate them’ .

“If you can’t win the Grand Final, the next best thing is to beat that team.

“They are our rivals — it goes back to the ’20s when they tried to stop us getting into the league.

“They beat us in our first Grand Final (and) through the 1990s we had some real good battles and I couldn’t stand them and I still can’t .

“Particularly their 69-point comeback (in 2001), it was the first time I captained the club.

“Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens were out, so I was up at halftime.

“I did say at halftime to Duck (Carey) this is how we captain … I went back with my tail between my legs.

“Rhyce is aware of it — I was one of the guys on the panel that put him on and no doubt I said to him if there is one game you have to win each year, it’s that one.”

Veteran administrator Greg Miller said the Roos’ hatred of Essendon was real.

“Denis Pagan spent 12 months at Essendon in 1992 and even in that time it was Pagan v Slug Jordan coaching the thirds (reserves),’’ he said. “It was a massive rivalry in my time at North.

“Through the whole 1990s it was Pagan v Kevin Sheedy in the coach’s box and it was quite pronounced.

“It was going for the man, it was all fun and then when we lost in 1993 and 1994, Sheedy said you weren’t a good side until you won a flag.

“I tried to get Mark Harvey across to be a leader for us when Wayne Carey got the (captaincy) and Sheeds said yes and then changed his mind at the last minute.”

jon.ralph@news.com.au

Copyright © 2020 News Pty Limited

jesus look at the feathers on cunnington.

MV5BNjZlYmNjNWMtMzU5YS00NjdmLWFmY2YtZTk4MDljYzFhZTg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

It looks like Ben Cunnnington, only more dynamic and resourceful.

This article is from the May 27 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.
JON RALPH

No mellowing of Roos-Dons rivalry after Shaw taunt

NORTH Melbourne legend Glenn Archer says his club’s hatred of Essendon is real after Rhyce Shaw’s pointed gibe yesterday about sharing a plane with the Bombers.

Shaw said catching a flight to Sydney with Essendon for their Round 2 matches on Sunday , June 14, was “not ideal, especially with that team, but we’ll just see how we go” .

The comment was laughed off as light-hearted but there remains genuine rivalry dating back almost 100 years.

Essendon tried to block North Melbourne’s entry because it would hamper its recruiting grounds, and 95 years on many Kangaroos still hate the Dons.

Jake Stringer’s cheeky wave to the North Melbourne crowd as he sealed a 2018 win was the latest incident to fire up North.

Archer said he hated Essendon so much he wouldn’t even mention the name of the club.

“I don’t use their name. The team next door, I call them — it’s not part of my vocabulary … it is a legitimate rivalry, particularly in my mind,” he said.

“Whenever I speak to young guys, it is something I say — ‘you do need to realise how much we hate them’ .

“If you can’t win the Grand Final, the next best thing is to beat that team.

“They are our rivals — it goes back to the ’20s when they tried to stop us getting into the league.

“They beat us in our first Grand Final (and) through the 1990s we had some real good battles and I couldn’t stand them and I still can’t .

“Particularly their 69-point comeback (in 2001), it was the first time I captained the club.

“Wayne Carey and Anthony Stevens were out, so I was up at halftime.

“I did say at halftime to Duck (Carey) this is how we captain … I went back with my tail between my legs.

“Rhyce is aware of it — I was one of the guys on the panel that put him on and no doubt I said to him if there is one game you have to win each year, it’s that one.”

Veteran administrator Greg Miller said the Roos’ hatred of Essendon was real.

“Denis Pagan spent 12 months at Essendon in 1992 and even in that time it was Pagan v Slug Jordan coaching the thirds (reserves),’’ he said. “It was a massive rivalry in my time at North.

“Through the whole 1990s it was Pagan v Kevin Sheedy in the coach’s box and it was quite pronounced.

“It was going for the man, it was all fun and then when we lost in 1993 and 1994, Sheedy said you weren’t a good side until you won a flag.

“I tried to get Mark Harvey across to be a leader for us when Wayne Carey got the (captaincy) and Sheeds said yes and then changed his mind at the last minute.”

jon.ralph@news.com.au

Copyright © 2020 News Pty Limited

Nothing that isn't known by anyone that has followed by NMFC for more then 2 minutes.

Nothing that isn't known by anyone that has followed by NMFC for more then 2 minutes.

Couldn't remember ever being that close to landing Mark Harvey in the early 90's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+1 for not knowing about M.Harvey.

He would have been a terrific player in the 1996 2nds flag.

Not sure if Greg Miller is revising the past, but the story I recall from the time was that it was a trade of Mark Harvey FOR Wayne Carey.

Imagine Sheedy didn't get cold feet..

My recollection is that we went after Harvey and offered him the captaincy. Carey was considered too young at the time, and no, there was no suggestion that it would be a trade of Carey for Harvey. I think the report is accurate, as there was talk that Harvey had accepted the offer but it fell through at then end. After that, Carey was made captain at a very young age.

I think we got Laidley around the same time.

My recollection is that we went after Harvey and offered him the captaincy. Carey was considered too young at the time, and no, there was no suggestion that it would be a trade of Carey for Harvey. I think the report is accurate, as there was talk that Harvey had accepted the offer but it fell through at then end. After that, Carey was made captain at a very young age.

Actually that sounds right.

I think Carey as a trade got mentioned somewhere but it might've been Sheedy, can recall him saying something like "they asked for Harvey and I said give me Wayne Carey".

He did the same thing when we chased Olarenshaw (FFS) and he said "give me Capuano then".

Actually that sounds right.

I think Carey as a trade got mentioned somewhere but it might've been Sheedy, can recall him saying something like "they asked for Harvey and I said give me Wayne Carey".

He did the same thing when we chased Olarenshaw (FFS) and he said "give me Capuano then".
Wouldn't be Sheedy rewriting history again, would it?

" and in breaking news * players have been arriving very late to Tullamarine airport for their game flight to Sydney even though it's 500 metres from their training base where they had a meeting this morning "

🧨🤬💥🖕

Pretty much how I recall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back