Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE have 28 fit players to pick sides from, including underdeveloped kids, and during a fixture that has 4 game breaks................so North requires a full scale rebuild?

THIS is the quality of modern day football journalism. Many of these people would be picking up litter for a living if a spot in "AFL journalism" had not opened up.

Last edited:
WE have 28 fit players to pick sides from, including underdeveloped kids, and during a fixture that has 4 game breaks................so North requires a full scale rebuild.

THIS is the quality of modern day football journalism. Many of these people would be picking up litter for a living if a spot in "AFL journalism" had not opened up.

Whether we use the wording “full scale rebuild” or not, im strong of the belief we won’t challenge for a flag until we bring in multiple top 10 picks.

This list is NOT Rhyce’s and he only now gets a chance to get rid of and bring in players he can coach.
The very experienced Scott Clayton wasn’t bought in to fill a chair. He has been down this path before and will be invaluable to get this list up to scratch.
Brady Rawlings was involved in getting the WCE in a position they are now, I also think he will be the one to make the hard decisions.
Glen Luff is best at his craft and will be able to provide good money ball picks .
I like the idea of a least giving some of us a chance to become a successful club instead of our middle of the road status. This keeps us interested but never really excited.

This is a long winded way to state that he wants Ben Brown at his club.
In my uninformed opinion the only way Brown is traded out is for overs and the likelihood of getting that from Essendon is zilch.

some of the trade value bandied about on Brown is laughable.

late second round pick? GAGF

‘Sydney's best offer for Daniher was pick nine and their future first-round selection, with no picks coming back.’

Brown is surely worth more than a bloke who cannot get on the park.

I know that people are gonna say s**t like oh but his form. The above was a real offer for a guy who played 11 games in 2 years.

I'm in two minds. Players should be absolutely embarrassed of the position they have put themselves in and now making the club's reputation take a further spiralling descent. Especially after last year's game style and the first two games. It doesn't add up.

Or the other. Maybe this was always coming? Too many with question marks over the contract status of like 70 percent of the list for an entire year. The uncertainty would be a frantic mess for them

Who are these good judges? Do we have the evidence of them saying this? Perhaps we could get their views on what we should do now.
Unfortunately we have a lot of people who claim to be good judges after a decision has been made and they already know the consequences.
Go back to the time of his signing on this site and you will see what the judges in here said - s**t trade, slow inside mid that we didn't need and a multiple year signing was way too long.

Not surprising at all for anyone who watches football and it has turned out that way.

What else do you want to know?

The On the couch segment was cursory analysis at best.

3 or more of the key lowlights they showed were of kids.

We have 6 games left. 4 are against entrenched top 8 sides. 3 of those are top 4 sides.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

With our injury list we're lambs to slaughter.

It's gon get rough.
Except we are not lambs - we will be older and have more experience than all the teams we play.

The myth that we are playing more kids than our opposition needs to be called out - its just another deflection on our part.

Sure - our kids are the shining light on this otherwise painful season but we ARE NOT playing more kids than our opponents.

A full rebuild doesn't need to be done, no proof a full rebuild works anyone. As Montagna pointed out, need to just clear similar type players who are ok in the 22 but wont continue to improve, Atley, McMillan etc. 2 first rounders, plus who knows what a club will offer for Brown.

Except we are not lambs - we will be older and have more experience than all the teams we play.

The myth that we are playing more kids than our opposition needs to be called out - its just another deflection on our part.

Sure - our kids are the shining light on this otherwise painful season but we ARE NOT playing more kids than our opponents.
We’ve been a mediocre side and we’ve tried to plug holes with journeymen.

in terms of relative responsibility, that which is placed on our kids shoulders is far greater.

we have a 22 year old playing injured and holding our midfield together and we are completely dependent on a 22 year old who has been in and out of the side being the absolute focal point of our forward line.

our kids are cake not icing and that is the difference.

The talk of the rebuild is moot really, its just whatever you choose to call the natural turnover on the list and realistically there should be sufficient churn every year to get a look at the prospective recruits. its just that we have developed a glut of middle of the road journeymen and injury prone players that are occupying far to much room on the list. A decent list can carry 4 or 5 of these players but 8 or 10 and you are really going to have your depth tested like we are now with a few blokes of the track. how good would it be to have a couple of dependable blokes like Ross smith, Ian Fairly, Laids or Blakey, in the squad now that are both durable and dependable?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robinson's ignorance of football is clearly on display here.

This is a long winded way to state that he wants Ben Brown at his club.

I've actually wondered this myself.....every one of these clowns has an agenda.

I thought I'd posted similar but haven't.

I totally agree with this - if you look to the media those clubs are circling our players like vultures cos they can see the benefit of them. What club wouldn't want to top up with the likes of Goldy, Cunners, Brown and even Taz. Higgo too.

Glenn Luff so our list manager.

Champion data rated our list sixth at the start of the year. Since then a couple of key youngsters have come on or broken out and LDU could well follow.

And now we need a complete rebuild?

If his organisation rated us that highly and now he doesn't even tho he was here the whole time what is going on?

Something about this doesn't smell right.

If we want to develop our youth then we need the likes of Cunningon, Taz and even Brown to show them what to do. Eg - Brown is only the highest scoring consistent forward in the comp cos he works hard and has spent years honing his craft, working on his weaknesses and thinking about his game. No one wanted to draft him and he went inside 50, just in his third attempt at the draft.

Do we want to lose that sort of example when we have a whole lot of young kids developing?

Not to mention the physicality of Taz and Cunners to look after them.

Whether we use the wording “full scale rebuild” or not, im strong of the belief we won’t challenge for a flag until we bring in multiple top 10 picks.

Fair enough, but is that a basis for an emphatic news organization publication?

Fair enough, but is that a basis for an emphatic news organization publication?

I don't necessarily want a big media release - I would just like Brady & the Board to give members an understanding of direction. From my perspective, the confusion isn't Brad Scott related, I get that he was fired because he topped up on senior players and then requested a rebuild. It's more around the present position of the board, do they think it's a one-year bottom out? Do they acknowledge that it's deeper then that and will take 2-3 years with an emphasis on bringing in additional picks?

I guess time will tell.

I don't necessarily want a big media release - I would just like Brady & the Board to give members an understanding of direction.

No club media release exists. Not even a small media release. This is my point. All of this is media manufactured bullshit.

If you look at our history of top 10 picks we haven't exactly shot the lights out. In addition to this drafts are way more compromised than they have ever been and there is no guarantee we will actually get a good look at the under 18s players this year or even next year. I'm not sure this is the panacea people think it is.

Footy is a simple game for simple men. Get the right people in the right jobs and build a strong culture that demands success. That's all Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast and Sydney do and they are constantly challenging for top 4 spots. Our problem isn't that we haven't had access to a bunch of 18 year olds that played really well against their school mates, it's that our standards as a football club fall short of what is required. This is a much easier fix than spending years down the bottom of the ladder collecting draft picks, but it requires people to acknowledge their shortcomings and change behaviours which is maybe the hardest thing of all to do.

If you look at our history of top 10 picks we haven't exactly shot the lights out. In addition to this drafts are way more compromised than they have ever been and there is no guarantee we will actually get a good look at the under 18s players this year or even next year. I'm not sure this is the panacea people think it is.

Footy is a simple game for simple men. Get the right people in the right jobs and build a strong culture that demands success. That's all Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast and Sydney do and they are constantly challenging for top 4 spots. Our problem isn't that we haven't had access to a bunch of 18 year olds that played really well against their school mates, it's that our standards as a football club fall short of what is required. This is a much easier fix than spending years down the bottom of the ladder collecting draft picks, but it requires people to acknowledge their shortcomings and change behaviours which is maybe the hardest thing of all to do.

The four clubs you listed have an abundance of players that were highly rated juniors playing for them - Acquired through the draft, trade or Academy.. We have tried the trade route, we've got access to TT through academy, our last mechanism really seems to be the draft.

I think it's clear that you need a club that drives high standards and professionalism, no argument from me on that point. However when it comes to talent, raw talent, an area we are seen as lacking in by the majority of AFL perception, I see no other avenue then having high picks to get us access to the most talented juniors in the country.

Does this mean that some picks may flop? Absolutely, especially with our drafting inconsistencies in the past. However the reality is that without access to the best junior talent in the country (coupled with driving high club standards), I don't think we will challenge as a genuine contender.

I don't necessarily want a big media release - I would just like Brady & the Board to give members an understanding of direction. From my perspective, the confusion isn't Brad Scott related, I get that he was fired because he topped up on senior players and then requested a rebuild. It's more around the present position of the board, do they think it's a one-year bottom out? Do they acknowledge that it's deeper then that and will take 2-3 years with an emphasis on bringing in additional picks?

I guess time will tell.
It's not that deep, though.

We comfortably beat last year's premiers last year, and then at 2-0 this year (both wins against current top 8 sides) things were pretty good. We then got smashed by injuries and it exposed that our depth is poor. Now, partly that was from poor drafting and trading, and partly from senior players being given too many chances (credits in the bank and all that) when dropping them and giving young players a go would have been great for development.

This year, with many of those young players performing well having been given that chance, shows the folly of the previous approach.

So we could do a lot of good with getting rid of some of the low-hanging fruit - those constantly injured (eg Garner, Jacobs), those who have been on the list for years and never cemented a spot (Durdin, Wood, etc).

You give short-term contracts for those who are getting old but are still best 22 (Macmillan, Pittard) and the Joeys who haven't had a proper chance yet (Murphy, Crocker) and say to the young players, you have to force the oldies out. If they can't, well, that tells us something.

I think there is a real danger in cutting too hard. The best 22 is reasonable, but the depth has been shown up, and it doesn't require a full rebuild to fix that.

No club media release exists. Not even a small media release. This is my point. All of this is media manufactured bullshit.
All of this seems to stem from an article published last week that suggests smaller clubs should basically become nurseries for bigger clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back