Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inb4 brekky jokes

Also on a unrelated note champion data have revised list rankings. Apparently we have the 2nd most champion data-approved midfield in the league.

Fascinating to see what data does across large groups. I would rate our forward line as our most potent lineup, quite easily FWIW.

It's 'North' day on SEN tomorrow so there will be North guests across the day and a membership offer.

Noted from the other thread but Whately stating Amarfio would be on with him (NTTAWWT) was interesting as we are yet to hear much from our new overlord.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Inb4 brekky jokes

Also on a unrelated note champion data have revised list rankings. Apparently we have the 2nd most champion data-approved midfield in the league.

Very confused about that forward rating.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fascinating to see what data does across large groups. I would rate our forward line as our most potent lineup, quite easily FWIW.

I’d have us ranked about 6th for midfield.

But I’d say under their ranking system we have 5 mids that rate elite or pretty close.
Cunnington, Higgins and Goldy with
Dumont and Polec rating as elite for wingmen.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't understand how that works obviously, but they have to have the midfield and forward figures back to front.

Our forward line has to be ranked above Footscray, Port, Essendon and Geelong surely......or is it ranked on assists? That would put us on the bottom of course.

Ranking our midfield second is slightly optimistic also.
I reckon that list is complete and utter bollocks. I admit I know nothing about football but FFS I know a damn site more than the dope who put that ranking list together. It's bullshit. Total garbage. And what's more, there's no point to this junk. If there was then the sport might as well not be played. Just run simulations based on list rankings. Yeah, right. * off.

I think our forward line is ranked 12th because Thomas, Larkey and Zurhaar all played their first full season last year. I think our forward ranking will climb over the next year or two as they get more experience and we begin dominating more and more games.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think our forward line is ranked 12th because Thomas, Larkey and Zurhaar all played their first full season last year. I think our forward ranking will climb over the next year or two as they get more experience and we begin dominating more and more games.

It’s all based of data from last year, it doesn’t allow for expected improvement of players like TT, CZ and Larkey.
Wood and Turner would’ve dragged it down as well.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s all based of data from last year, it doesn’t allow for expected improvement of players like TT, CZ and Larkey.
Wood and Turner would’ve dragged it down as well.
Doesn't CD use a 2 year stat base for these sorts of things? Could explain a bit for the fwds

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What the champion data does say is how good is our support act. Yes our elite talent might be up there, do we have the excellent support/role players that holds the team together. A football team is like a class, you have a few smart kids with a large cluster in the middle and a few stragglers. The very best class as a result of top teacher is to get the middle cluster to be the engine room where the top kids break new ground. The 'stragglers' also need to be given roles to be the students who are responsible for alternative ways of doing things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that list is complete and utter bollocks. I admit I know nothing about football but FFS I know a damn site more than the dope who put that ranking list together. It's bullshit. Total garbage. And what's more, there's no point to this junk. If there was then the sport might as well not be played. Just run simulations based on list rankings. Yeah, right. fu** off.

This is a great rant.

Kudos.

De Rauch: Kangas’ passion has bounced back
Herald Sun - Tuesday, 11 Feb 2020 - Page 61

LONG-time North Melbourne powerbroker Peter de Rauch says the Shinboner spirit has returned to Arden St “after a 12-year hiatus” .

De Rauch, a fierce critic of the club’s direction under former chairman James Brayshaw , believes a clean-out of the Kangaroos’ senior football and administrative positions has been transformative.

“You could feel the passion in the room again,” de Rauch said of last week’s season launch attended by club greats including Wayne Carey, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Anthony Stevens.

“Everyone associated with the club is now convinced we have a club that can and will succeed.

“North needs all members who have felt disenfranchised by the club to return and be part of the rebuild.”

The Kangaroos enter the season with a new coach (Rhyce Shaw), new chief executive (Ben Amarfio) and new football manager (Brady Rawlings), while Glenn Archer , a dual premiership player and key driver behind many of the off-field changes, returned to the Ben Buckley-led board as a casual appointment in December.

Archer and Buckley are seeking re-election at this month’s annual general meeting , along with another casual board selection, Dr Sonja Hood, and independent candidate Paul Crapper.

De Rauch said the club’s decision to allow Crapper to nominate was another significant sign.

“The reason the former North Melbourne shareholders gave up their shares was to return the club’s ownership to the members and, by doing so, the members had the opportunity to have a say in its direction,” de Rauch said.

“Now at last an independent candidate has been allowed to nominate. He is a lifetime member of our club and highly experienced as a board member with numerous government contacts.”

De Rauch surrendered more than $1 million worth of club shares in 2007 and served on the board for almost two decades.

Jack Ziebell will skipper the Roos again this season, backed by vice-captains Shaun Higgins and Robbie Tarrant.

The Roos’ AGM will be held at Arden St on February 26.

Copyright © 2020 News Pty Limited

1581361056320.png

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

LONG-time North Melbourne powerbroker Peter de Rauch says the Shinboner spirit has returned to Arden St “after a 12-year hiatus” .

De Rauch, a fierce critic of the club’s direction under former chairman James Brayshaw , believes a clean-out of the Kangaroos’ senior football and administrative positions has been transformative.

“You could feel the passion in the room again,” de Rauch said of last week’s season launch attended by club greats including Wayne Carey, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Anthony Stevens.

“Everyone associated with the club is now convinced we have a club that can and will succeed.

“North needs all members who have felt disenfranchised by the club to return and be part of the rebuild.”

The Kangaroos enter the season with a new coach (Rhyce Shaw), new chief executive (Ben Amarfio) and new football manager (Brady Rawlings), while Glenn Archer , a dual premiership player and key driver behind many of the off-field changes, returned to the Ben Buckley-led board as a casual appointment in December.

Archer and Buckley are seeking re-election at this month’s annual general meeting , along with another casual board selection, Dr Sonja Hood, and independent candidate Paul Crapper.

De Rauch said the club’s decision to allow Crapper to nominate was another significant sign.

“The reason the former North Melbourne shareholders gave up their shares was to return the club’s ownership to the members and, by doing so, the members had the opportunity to have a say in its direction,” de Rauch said.

“Now at last an independent candidate has been allowed to nominate. He is a lifetime member of our club and highly experienced as a board member with numerous government contacts.”

De Rauch surrendered more than $1 million worth of club shares in 2007 and served on the board for almost two decades.

Jack Ziebell will skipper the Roos again this season, backed by vice-captains Shaun Higgins and Robbie Tarrant.

View attachment 820744

NOW I'm convinced.

Hear, hear! :thumbsu:

Former Geelong captain Cameron Ling moves to ABC from 3AW

Cameron Ling has been caught in the crossfire of Channel 9’s takeover of Macquarie Media’s radio stations, let go after seven years with 3AW. But he has found a new home with one of their AM competitors.

Scott Gullan, Herald Sun
February 10, 2020 10:27pm

Geelong premiership captain Cameron Ling has switched teams on the radio dial, departing 3AW for the ABC.

Ling will feature on Friday nights and Sundays for the national broadcaster who is shaking up its AFL coverage this season.

The Cats champion was a victim of circumstances at 3AW, caught in the crossfire of Channel 9's takeover of Macquarie Media's radio stations.

Cameron Ling has moved from 3AW to the ABC.
Slashing costs was the directive of the new regime and after seven years with the station Ling was let go because of "budgetary constraints".

His Channel 7 commentary teammate Matthew Richardson has avoided a similar fate, verballing agreeing to a new deal at 3AW.

Ling will continue to juggle his TV commitments with his new radio gig which will also include being a part of a remodelled Saturday pre-game show alongside chief caller Alister Nicholson.

This is a move back to pure footy after comedian Anthony `Lehmo' Lehmann was the face of ABC Grandstand for the past two years.

Lehmo hosted the pre-game shows on Saturday and Sunday alongside Angela Pippos and Emma Race.

Other changes include Hawthorn premiership star Brad Sewell departing the expert comments chair because he's relocating to Byron Bay.

There is also more movement at 3AW with Caroline Wilson stepping away from the nightly Sports Today program where she has been a regular because of her expanding role on Nine's Footy Classified show.

Listened to SEN on the way to work this morning from about 8 til 8:50. Hardly a mention of North, other than repeating the membership website address. FFS.

Listened to SEN on the way to work this morning from about 8 til 8:50. Hardly a mention of North, other than repeating the membership website address. FFS.

Shaw was on after 7.30 and Amarfio’s on after 10 mate.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Former Geelong captain Cameron Ling moves to ABC from 3AW

Cameron Ling has been caught in the crossfire of Channel 9’s takeover of Macquarie Media’s radio stations, let go after seven years with 3AW. But he has found a new home with one of their AM competitors.

Scott Gullan, Herald Sun
February 10, 2020 10:27pm

Geelong premiership captain Cameron Ling has switched teams on the radio dial, departing 3AW for the ABC.

Ling will feature on Friday nights and Sundays for the national broadcaster who is shaking up its AFL coverage this season.

The Cats champion was a victim of circumstances at 3AW, caught in the crossfire of Channel 9's takeover of Macquarie Media's radio stations.

Cameron Ling has moved from 3AW to the ABC.
Slashing costs was the directive of the new regime and after seven years with the station Ling was let go because of "budgetary constraints".

His Channel 7 commentary teammate Matthew Richardson has avoided a similar fate, verballing agreeing to a new deal at 3AW.

Ling will continue to juggle his TV commitments with his new radio gig which will also include being a part of a remodelled Saturday pre-game show alongside chief caller Alister Nicholson.

This is a move back to pure footy after comedian Anthony `Lehmo' Lehmann was the face of ABC Grandstand for the past two years.

Lehmo hosted the pre-game shows on Saturday and Sunday alongside Angela Pippos and Emma Race.

Other changes include Hawthorn premiership star Brad Sewell departing the expert comments chair because he's relocating to Byron Bay.

There is also more movement at 3AW with Caroline Wilson stepping away from the nightly Sports Today program where she has been a regular because of her expanding role on Nine's Footy Classified show.

If you were to compare football media to a game of Hearts, 3AW just dealt ABC a Queen of Spades.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

View attachment 820744

giphy.gif

I've listened to both Rhyce Shaw and Ben Amarfio and both were impressive, they both spoke very well about the club and the players, and Amarfio spoke a bit about the Shinboner spirit, he first few months at North and Tasmania. He is a very eloquent speaker.

My one concern was perhaps Ben's answer to Gerard's question regarding North's future and whether we will remain at Arden Street. He tip-toed through his answer somewhat, he never said definitively that it was the NMFC Board intentions to stay, but stated that as long as the members want us stay we will remain at Arden Street. Maybe I'm reading too much into his response, but I got the feeling that s not entirely confident that we can stay in Melbourne long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back