Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolutely. The 2019 top 4 all worked in significant games into young players in that period.

Hopefully it's something we improve at.
I reckon we've had plenty of debutants in that period but haven't put too many games into them. Under Scott in particular, you'd often see someone play a couple of games and then be delisted within a year. (Hibberd, Morgan, Mountford, Williams, Nielsen, Wagner)

I reckon we've had plenty of debutants in that period but haven't put too many games into them. Under Scott in particular, you'd often see someone play a couple of games and then be delisted within a year. (Hibberd, Morgan, Mountford, Williams, Nielsen, Wagner)
There's the drafting players that are no good factor at work there as well.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

View attachment 824093

Not a great looking stat. Does mean much though?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lets analyse the data.

2015:
McKay - Not doing much (4 games at North)
Clarke - Gone (40)
Hibberd - Gone (4)
Wagner - Gone (8)
Mountford - Gone (12)

McKay the only player remaining and has played 4 games from a possible 88.

2016:
Simpkin (56)
Watson (0) - Gone
Williams (2) - Gone
Larkey (19)
Zurahaar (28)
Junker (0) - Gone
Taylor (0) - Gone

103 games from currently active players of a possible 264. Jy, Larkey and Zurhaar were great pick ups, with the latter two needing time to develop before getting games.

2017:
LDU (21)
Walker (4) Injury
Hayden (1) Injury
Xerri (0) - Developing
Hartung (13) - Gone
Murphy (4)
Narrier (0) - Gone

30 games from currently active players of a possible 220. LDU taking a bit of time, Walker would certainly have played more, perhaps Hayden too. Xerri needs to develop.

2018:
Hosie (0)
Thomas (20)
Taylor (2)
Scott (4) - Injury
Crocker (0)
McKenzie (0) - Gone
Wilkinson (0) - Gone

26 games played of a possible 121.

I think this data highlights that we have had some poor drafting decisions, especially early, some poor luck with injury, and picked some beauties with later picks that have take some time to come on. So I don't think its a question of why we were not playing kids. We were also in the throes of Scotts' final years at North, with a focus on playing finals and blokes like Ray, Hartung etc getting a run.

This year of those still on the list who impact that data I'd expect Simpkin, Larkey, Zurhaar and Thomas to play all 22 games, LDU and Scott to play at least 15, Hosie and Walker to get a couple and Bonar, Mahoney and perhaps Comen to add to the numbers. Hopefully we are finally getting our recruitment right, meaning more hits than misses and more internal growth.

Last edited:
Not a great looking stat. Does it mean much though?

It’s actually a really misleading statistic as it gives extra weight to the early seasons. For example, players who debuted in 2016 will get 4 years worth of games counted in that total compared to those who debuted in 2019 who will get less than one season’s worth.

As it happens, we loaded up for a shot at the flag in 2016, so debutants weren’t a priority.

A better measure of willingness to play youth would be total debutants since 2016... not sure we’d be top of the table on that either but I don’t think we’d be as far back.

I'm getting flashbacks to the Thursday night threads of team announcements past.
Those were the days.... the melts had started even before the team was announced. Brad: ' I'm backing the players to atone for last week'. BBB thread goes nuts. Great times....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another photo of us losing or whatever in the background.

We should try and keep track of this.

It could just be that royal blue and white looks great so the pics with us get subconsciously chosen.

Or the people doing the choosing are still all traumatised from the 90s...

(In this case it's reasonable tho cos the Swans kept him and we missed out, tho maybe we should be the ones cheering.)

Another photo of us losing or whatever in the background.

We should try and keep track of this.

It could just be that royal blue and white looks great so the pics with us get subconsciously chosen.

Or the people doing the choosing are still all traumatised from the 90s...

(In this case it's reasonable tho cos the Swans kept him and we missed out, tho maybe we should be the ones cheering.)

We saved around $3M for a start. So, that’s a win right there.

I'm one of the few people who were genuinely happy when Horse resigned.

Wasn't interested at all, the mooted wage was ridiculous.

:watercloset: major sponsor on the slide

Seven West Media reports $67m loss as group revenue slips 3.2%
February 18, 2020 10:51
by HANNAH BLACKISTON
Seven West Media is reporting a $67m loss on a total revenue of $773.3m for the first half of the 2020 financial year and a drop in underlying net profit after tax of 22.5%. The results come amidst tough advertising conditions, pushing the entire free-to-air (FTA) TV market down 7.0% in the half, and a total advertising market decline of 8.5%.
The company isn’t paying dividends to shareholders and has downgraded its projections for the remainder of the financial year.

by HANNAH BLACKISTON
Seven West Media is reporting a $67m loss on a total revenue of $773.3m for the first half of the 2020 financial year and a drop in underlying net profit after tax of 22.5%. The results come amidst tough advertising conditions, pushing the entire free-to-air (FTA) TV market down 7.0% in the half, and a total advertising market decline of 8.5%.
The company isn’t paying dividends to shareholders and has downgraded its projections for the remainder of the financial year.

Was forced to watch parts of that concert on the weekend. Wasn't much interested in many of the performers as I'm well and truly of a different generation (one that can recall Flowers doing Pretty Vacant), but what really got me was the channel 7 "talent" like that kotch and the others between acts. They are all not quite right.

by HANNAH BLACKISTON

More like the AFL's major sponsor. Game is in big trouble if Seven's issues continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back