Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the AFL setup a subscription service like NBA league pass they would make a lot of money selling directly to the public.

2 million subscriptions at 20 bucks a month would give them 320 million a season ( 8 months) before operating costs. That doesn’t include sponsorships and tie-ins. They’d also need to setup production crews and buy hardware.

If the AFL setup a subscription service like NBA league pass they would make a lot of money selling directly to the public.

2 million subscriptions at 20 bucks a month would give them 320 million a season ( 8 months) before operating costs. That doesn’t include sponsorships and tie-ins. They’d also need to setup production crews and buy hardware.

They currently make $440m a season, with no overheads, production costs and hardware.

They currently make $440m a season, with no overheads, production costs and hardware.

If they could make $300 million or so in subscription, they’d make something similar again and then some in sponsorship and ads in the broadcast if they owned it too - which would more than cover costs.

The old business models are dying. Its all streamed and on demand. Content is king.

If they could make $300 million or so in subscription, they’d make something similar again and then some in sponsorship and ads in the broadcast if they owned it too - which would more than cover costs.

The old business models are dying. Its all streamed and on demand. Content is king.
I would not trust the AFL to manage their own platform online
Look at what they've done to the clubs websites, and that was with Telstra as a partner!

Disney will probs buy the league soon anyway lol

For all the complaints about the AFL HQ, they are absolutely dominating the Rugby, League and other codes.

I dunno, Elsa & Olaf pre-game sounds good.
Can just picture a ‘live cross’ to a holographic Olaf in the rooms at half time with Dermie and Richo.

Ironically the only one who would talk any sense would be Olaf..

So each team on average receives $17m a year from the AFL, this includes the obvious money pits of GC and GWS.

The AFL comp turned a profit of $15m last year, when you factor in their other holdings like Marvel, CD etc, they turned a profit of almost $41m.

They are meant to be not-for-profit, they could easily fund a stand alone Tasmanian side if they wanted to, with more than likely the massive state sponsorship that side would also receive initially, a stand alone Tasmanian side would more than likely exceed our turnover almost instantly as a comparison.

For all the complaints about the AFL HQ, they are absolutely dominating the Rugby, League and other codes.

If you watch NRL roundtables they are truly paranoid of how strategically and well executed the AFL operates.

The Storm would be massive if they did a 10th of the things to support it that the AFL do for their expansion clubs.

If you watch NRL roundtables they are truly paranoid of how strategically and well executed the AFL operates.

The Storm would be massive if they did a 10th of the things to support it that the AFL do for their expansion clubs.
The NRL are about 30 years behind AFL in most aspects.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The AFL has changed the rules regarding concussion.

Any player who receives a head knock must now be cleared by a club doctor 5 days before their next game. Clubs are expected to be fined if they do not adhere to the policy.

- 7 News Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A.M. radio on my morning walk.

Kane Cornes; " North will get sucked in and pay DeGoey $1,000,000 a year "

Ahhhhh no Kane, we won't.
There's a better chance of Shane Martin leading the Welcome to Country Ceremony at the bush fire fundraising game.

Just bothered reading through this article.

While there were reasons why John Longmire could be considered a very good coach there were plenty of queries (how would he be without inheriting Paul Roos' established culture? Without Cola or similar AFL benefits etc?) as to how he would suit North. Additionally he never gave off a vibe in being interested in the opportunity from afar.

And that's the bit that made me a little sad. I'm happy to see where Rhyce Shaw can take us. But geeze John Longmire was North Melbourne. He was a household name as a teenage star at a time I wasn't even into footy. Meeting him growing up at Family Days or chatting at intra-clubs he was one of the most affable, approachable guys we've had.

It would've been nice if just a tiny part of him got excited and wanted to risk it all to come "home" and try getting us back to the top. Wasn't to be.

Again this isn't an expression of any disappointment in who we ended up with, just that it's hard to reconcile John Longmire the North Melbourne clubman and champion with John Longmire the grizzly AFL Swans mentor.

While there were reasons why John Longmire could be considered a very good coach there were plenty of queries (how would he be without inheriting Paul Roos' established culture? Without Cola or similar AFL benefits etc?) as to how he would suit North. Additionally he never gave off a vibe in being interested in the opportunity from afar.

And that's the bit that made me a little sad. I'm happy to see where Rhyce Shaw can take us. But geeze John Longmire was North Melbourne. He was a household name as a teenage star at a time I wasn't even into footy. Meeting him growing up at Family Days or chatting at intra-clubs he was one of the most affable, approachable guys we've had.

It would've been nice if just a tiny part of him got excited and wanted to risk it all to come "home" and try getting us back to the top. Wasn't to be.

Again this isn't an expression of any disappointment in who we ended up with, just that it's hard to reconcile John Longmire the North Melbourne clubman and champion with John Longmire the grizzly AFL Swans mentor.
What is it with this club and former players not wanting to associate with us once the boots are up...

Or more accurately, screwing us over. Looking at you, Simpson and Blakey. Longmire will be next.

I get what you're saying and I agree, but he has been at Sydney for a loooooooong time now.

I get what you're saying and I agree, but he has been at Sydney for a loooooooong time now.

That's true but you could use that as an argument to support him leaving too.

Been there 10+ years as assistant/senior, already coached a premiership and started rebuilding the list. Time had arrived to hand over to a new coach for the next phase while he would return to the club he supported and played for to drive it to a long overdue flag - in fact the first since he left.

Has a nice romance to it but that's all it was.

That's true but you could use that as an argument to support him leaving too.

Been there 10+ years as assistant/senior, already coached a premiership and started rebuilding the list. Time had arrived to hand over to a new coach for the next phase while he would return to the club he supported and played for to drive it to a long overdue flag - in fact the first since he left.

Has a nice romance to it but that's all it was.

It does make me sad definitely. Let's hope prodigal son Brady Rawlings can help steer this ******* ship in the right direction for once.

It does make me sad definitely. Let's hope prodigal son Brady Rawlings can help steer this ******* ship in the right direction for once.

Totally. Fwiw I wasn't keen on Longmire but imagine someone explained to you in 1999:

"today's premiership included 2 players who will go on to coach their own premierships at other clubs in the next 20 years. But neither will be interested in returning to Arden Street when the opportunity presents itself"

It would've seemed a bit of a bummer. That's what I'm mourning, just the innocence and illusion we (or at least I) had at the end of '99 that North Melbourne would always hold a magical place for the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back